LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 11:23 am 
Toyotaphobe

I'm going to try to teach my grandson to drive a stick shift this weekend. Do any of you have any tricks that have worked for you?

To begin I thought I'd raise the idle a little and put him in the pasture and have him just practice getting it moving from a dead stop. This way all he has to worry about is the clutch.

Then I thought I'd put the idle back where it belongs to add in having to worry about the gas.

We're going to be in a Honda Element which is pretty easy to get moving. First gear is a stump puller.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 11:29 am 

Sounds like a good plan to me. Next weekend, Autocross!! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, good luck and I like the idea. I've taught a couple of people over the years and the best way I've found was an open field or a parking lot.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 11:49 am 

I taught both of my sons in a deserted parking lot. They already had their driver's licenses. Basically it was start - stop - start - stop - for about 1/2 hour never leaving first gear. Followed this with about 5 minutes where I let them upshift to 2nd gear. Then I said we were done. They passed and let them have keys to the car.

I tried teaching my wife "stick" years ago in a Ford Econoline delivery van with 3 on the tree, during an ice storm. I figured it would be tough to stall the engine. She got about a block and decided it wasn't her day. Then a few years later tried again in a $200 worn out TR Spitfire. She got about 8 blocks from home and was doing fine when the piston ring left the piston. Not her fault. She felt guilty. Last time was a charm. We bought a brand new Mazda GLC (remember them?). I handed her the keys and told her it was under warranty. Go drive!

There are lots of ways to teach. Pick on that suits the driver.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 12:01 pm 

It is best to learn clutch control on a slight hill and learn to move the car forward with no gas. Once they can do that the rest is easy. As the instructor the hand brake is your friend.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 12:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Ohh, thanks for the tip on the handbrake. I hadn't thought of that.

I have told them that the louder I holler STOP the quicker they have to stop. It means I've seen something they haven't.

Not realizing I was going to have to do this any time soon, a few months back I read of a really good way to get people started driving and thinking I'd remember it I didn't bookmark the page. Now I can't remember the technique.

I'm going to make it a contest between him and his 2 year younger brother. Put both of them in the car and switch out drivers to let them both get to drive and to watch, hoping maybe it will sink in better that way.

This gives me a head start on the younger one later.

What he doesn't realize is that the Honda is his Christmas present from my son - the one who just got married and we found and built up the Miata as his wedding present.

The Element is a 2007 and since he couldn't get anything much for it selling it or trading it in he decided just to give it to my grandson. He's much younger than his sister who has the boys.

Right now I'm making them Caramel Banana pancakes for breakfast and trying to stall them off a little till the dew dries and there's a little less nip in the air.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 1:00 pm 

The handbrake can be used with the clutch and gas pedal when on an incline. I find that to be taught in the "advanced course". It is more difficult to learn to coordinate 3 things than 2. But might be a good point to mention when they finally "get it" on the basics. From what I have noticed from my British friends, the handbrake is applied at all stops, inclined or not.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 1:32 pm 

Use the neighbor car ! :twisted:

Sorry ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 2:05 pm 

Just crack a few funnies to break the ice and get them to relax a bit " if you cant find em grind em" " dont open the door to let the clutch out" " there all in there somewhere" That sort of thing.

Good luck. you may need it :cheers:

Some have problems with an autobox, does anyone remember this :) https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1387072198174515

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 4:17 pm 

I always try to teach it the same way I was tought, and no raising of the idle speed is necessary.

I think it's good to only focus on mastering one item at a time, as much as possible. First make sure they have it hammered in that STOP means brake AND clutch in, and can be done at ANY time. This needs to be something that they don't have to think about before doing. With the car off, practice a few drills of going from foot on the gas to both feet in on the clutch and brake on your command.

Next is getting it going from a stop on level or very slightly inclined ground without using the gas, but minimal roll back concerns. This allows them to focus on becoming intimately familiar with the clutch feel. Where does it start to engage? Where is fully engaged? How does it react to different movements at different times, especially if it starts bucking? As a reward they can do a little first gear driving before stopping again as the start to get the hang of it.

After that move to a little more inclined ground with more noticeable roll back to learn that the clutch can be brought to where it drags just enough to pull the rpm down a barely noticeable amount just before releasing the brake. Not all cars have a handbrake, or electronic hill assist, so they can't necessarily expect to be able to rely on it. Then proceed as before, still without using the gas to get started. They do get to do a liitle 'real' driving eturning to the uphill starting point, since there is little to practice in downhill starts, and maybe even reward them with an easy shift to second if they're picking it up quickly.

Once the clutch has been thoroughly mastered, then start adding in gas assisted starts, initially trying to hold a target rpm and moving to focusing on getting it moving promptly. This is good to practice on a variety of ground angles.

Then it's time to start putting it all together with shifting, by practicing starts up through the 1-2 shift.

At this point they've mastered starts and basic acceleration, and just need to learn some downshifting. Practicing 2-1 downshifts is good due to that being the hardest downshift to do smoothly, but if you have a lot large enough, some (low rpm) 2-3 upshifts and 3-2 downshifts are good to practice before hitting the streets.

Final exam is starting from a stop in the middle of the steepest grade available.

Yes try to keep the mood light and always offer encouragement even when they do it wrong, so that it stays fun and doesn't become a chore. If either instructor or student starts feeling frustrated, it's probably time to call it a day. It's also good to reassure them that they won't hurt the car, and maybe demonstrate what happens when YOU stall it first to show them that there is nothing to fear. And I would only make it any degree of competiton if I knew neither boy would be put off from in the other vent that the other happens to pick it up more quickly.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on December 20, 2014, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 4:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Driven5 wrote:
I always try to teach it the same way I was tought, and no raising of the idle speed is necessary. I think it's good to only focus on mastering one item at a time. First make sure they have it hammered in that STOP means brake AND clutch in, and can be done at ANY time.

And that has been exactly the biggest problem.

We had a class complete with pictures about what the clutch does but until a few times of the stopping with the clutch out they still didn't get it that what the wheels do, the engine does when the clutch is engaged.

Driven you've just about described what we've done so far and how we've done it except you are a little ahead of me.

We've survived - so far - but this morning we worked only on getting started from a dead stop. I only allowed them to use the gas on their very last stint behind the wheel. They had a 1,000 rpm limit which was tough on the oldest boy. He's a bit ham fisted.

We've eaten (our last meal?) and we are about to go out again and give it more gas plus maybe hit 2nd gear. GULP!

1,500 rpm here we come!!!

There's no way to upload a video except through YouTube is there?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 8:07 pm 

when operating the clutch, try to keep your heel on the floor, it really hepls.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 8:49 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Driven5 wrote:

There's no way to upload a video except through YouTube is there?

Facebook or another site similar to youtube such as vimeo. I don't think you can do it directly o a forum though.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 10:32 pm 
Always Moore!

I've taught a few friends to drive a stick. Normally I'll take them to a parking lot, have them put the car in first, practice revving it to ~2,000 rpm, let the clutch out, and feel for the point where it catches. After doing this a few times I'll tell them to practice making it one smooth motion. Once they get it down on a flat surface then find a lot with some slope.

If all else fails push in left pedal -> select first -> push in right pedal -> quickly release left pedal. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 11:11 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Except for hill starts they are both doing pretty good.

We're letting it all sink in over night and going at it again tomorrow and then I take them home and we'll try again Christmas day to see how much of it oozed out into their pillows at night.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 21, 2014, 12:25 am 

One very important thing is seat position, the drivers leg needs to be straight when the clutch pedal is on the floor, this gives the drivers foot the correct angle with their ankle on the floor, this allows the foot to pivot , releasing the clutch .Trying to release the clutch pedal using your whole leg will cause the clutch to be basically dumped making some pretty funny bunny hops.