LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 3:29 pm 

It has come time for the the house to be reroofed. The last 28 years have taken its toll. Over the years, I have shingled roofs from new construction to 2nd layer shingle-over, and everything in between. Sadly (or glady), I have no interest in doing that type of work again. Not that it is difficult work, but I am just over that. Been there- Done that.

I am asking for any recent cost experiences to have a licensed roofer to do a complete tear-off, and re-shingle with 30+year asphalt shingles. I estimate I will need about 27.5 squares on a single story ranch. I am hoping ~ $300 per and think it would be a reasonable price I could live with. Based on past experience expect to see at least 1 quote over $400. I have a tendency to underestimate things like this.

I have some estimators coming out next week. I want to be prepared for any sticker shock.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 3:54 pm 

Can you do 'Metal' where you live? They look great, last a long time, and go up so quick and easy. I put a new metal roof on my garage without ever having done a roof myself before. My son and I had it done in a couple of days without really trying hard, and with the new white roof, my garage was noticeably cooler through the Summer! Just something to consider. :D

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 4:24 pm 

Mike, I've looked at metal but it is not the "norm" for my area in residential homes. Mostly used for farm outbuildings. I need to consider resale value in the next few years, so have to go with the "norm". Considering my current age, even if I do not sell, 30 year asphalt shingles will just about reach their end of useful life at the same time I go sliding into home plate. :cheers:

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 5:16 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Metal roofs, while nice looking, also play havoc with cell phone reception. If you are in a weaker area a metal roof can put you over the edge to no service.

I live in the country and when I called in to complain about sketchy cell phone service when I first moved out here the very first question they asked of me was "Do you have a metal roof?".

A roofer friend of mine & I were having this conversation about a week ago. He said roofing prices are negotiable and they liked to get about 3 times the price of the cost of a square.

He said he got anywhere from $150 a square to $300.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 1, 2015, 3:08 pm 

I've had 2 quotes. I am comfortable with the lower cost roofer. Very well rated on Homeadvisor. Been in business 30 years. Blah Blah Blah. Difference in price between the 2 was about $2,200. $8750 vs $6535. Different products, different selling techniques, different warranties etc. For those that are math challenged, that is ~$237 per square, all in, all done! That was much lower than I was expecting. I cancelled the Sears Home Services estimate appointment. I was not thrilled with their "We can get out to do your estimate in 1-1/2 weeks. We're pretty busy." What if it was raining and my roof was leaking? How fast could they respond? The reasons I chose the one was, well, he drooled over my Locost. But, he also knew Randall at The Hub! (Midwest Gathering 2011). That is not THE reason I went with his company though. Just thought it was an interesting connection........

Now it is select the color and get the roof on.

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 2:11 pm 

With some help of some family and friends I reshingled my roof this year. Its a 1,7xx sq. ft. house and it was much cheaper than I expected. The shingles, delivered on the roof, were about $2,200 Cdn. Stripping them was alot easier than I expected and we basically redid it in one day.

How did yours turn out?

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 2:33 pm 

The 2 man crew took 1 and 2/2 days. They replaced the mushroom vents with a ridge vents, included drip edge trim all around and 6 ft of icedam protection at the eves. The biggest problem was getting the permit issued. That delayed the install by one day. They didn't have to replace any plywood. They did a good job I think. I have had some pretty good downpours since and not had any leaks, so that is good. I had to go back up on the roof to realign the satellite dish. They got it close but I had no reception. Actually it was pretty easy to do.

Doing your own roof is rewarding, no doubt, not to mention the cost savings you get. And delivering shingles on the roof is the bees knees. I did that on my last re-roof that I did. It sure beats stepping off the 12 ft ladder with 80 lbs of shingles thrown over your shoulder. If you have a crew to help it goes fast. I just don't have the networking of younger guys to roof. Everyone I know is 60yrs old and over. I don't want that age group up on my roof, if you know what I mean.

Congrats on your roofing job :cheers:

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 3:50 pm 

I'll be crossing this bridge shortly.. even though my shingles were just replaced last September... We bought the house last November (13 months ago) and had your standard home inspection done. Everything checked out. He noted that the roof had one spongy spot around the skylight, and there was evidence of water damage to the plywood sheathing underneath. no big deal, the new shingles and a little rubber mudding took care of that issue - it wasn't leaking just a little bit soft.

Fast forward to this spring, I'm up on the roof cleaning out the gutters after a fairly rough winter and I start getting a little bit sketchy about what I'm walking on. I'm not a big guy by any stretch (6' 170lbs) So I immediately went up in the attic to take a peak at what was going on.. The plywood sheathing on the lower section of both sides of the roof was on its way out.. no mold, thankfully, but rotting for sure.

At first I figure ok - they replaced the shingles because the old roof was leaking.. no further damage will be done just live with it. no water getting into the roof.

I went up a few weeks later to retrieve something and noticed some water pooled on one of the boards across the rafters - huh? there was no evidence of how it got there.. no wet spot, couldn't see any drips.. went up on the roof the next day and no dice. That's weird.

three weeks after that we had a Wicked wind storm. Took the back gutter clean off my house. It was old and aluminum, so I went to replace it with a nice white vinyl one. they look cleaner and are supposedly harder to clog (bull on that note). I decided to replace the drip edge too, as the one set for the aluminum gutter did not extend far enough to reach the vinyl gutter. It was at this moment, I knew something was wrong. there was NO plywood for the last 6" off the roof over the rafters! the roof has a ridge vent on it, and the sheets are standard 4x8, stacked three wide down each half of the pitch. well the lazy bastards that replaced the shingles (complete strip and reshingle.. not just another layer..) decided to not just cut two 4x8 sheets in 6" strips and affix them to the lower portions over the eave. This left the ice and water dam flapping under the shingles and leaking directly onto the lower sheathing panels. So now I have to go up and replace almost all the plywood AND the brand new shingles.

I contacted the contractor that pulled the permit about it and he said that they only warranty their work to the person who owned the house at the time of installation. shoddy guy.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod