LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 7, 2021, 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
PostPosted: October 14, 2021, 1:21 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Hey Perry, check out this wooden car model https://fb.watch/8oQNvKLkvP/ . Building one like that could be your next project.

Wow, cool video. I would most likely end up with a lot a wood slivers trying to build that :rofl:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build, the Super Slant Six 7

PostPosted: October 15, 2021, 12:41 am 

JPS Europa wrote:
Quit my full time job. Last day next month. Still have a part time gig. Considering myself semi-retired or at least trying retirement on.
Lets see how it goes!
Congratulations, Paul. Having flunked retirement a couple of times I agree semi-retirement is a great way to ease into it. But full retirement is even better when you get there.
Hope this gives you more opportunity to visit out our way.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: October 15, 2021, 1:05 pm 

Hauled the boat out. Doesn't seem fair with semi-retirement on the horizon, but the fish are leaving, the wife thinks its too cold now, and the seagulls think its just a great place to hang out, eat crabs and poop...so its time.

PostPosted: October 16, 2021, 12:25 am 

Got the 78 MGB running.
Now to get it to run better, if that is possible with a SMOG junk laden single carb B?
This one has to remain stock as it will be going up for sale and Kali. is nearby.
I may just put twin SU's and a free flow exhaust in the trunk for the new owner.

PostPosted: October 18, 2021, 8:41 am 

Wrapping up a long weekend dove hunting trip in S TX. Not the most productive, but still a good time & we got some work done on the camphouse.

Now the 7 hr drive back, followed by the 1.5 hr drive from my dad's to home.

PostPosted: October 18, 2021, 11:16 pm 

Got some wiring done to the new shop. :D
Middle size air compressor now turns on and off with a switch, it did not originally.
Socket and wiring for the vertical mill is in.
Tomorrow should get the 110v outlets done on one wall.
Separate light circuit and the opposite wall outlets have to wait for more funds. :(

PostPosted: October 21, 2021, 12:52 am 

I went skateboarding with my old crew and some people I'd never met before. We're in our 50s now. The idea of falling is kinda scary at this point, but I had a blast and hung out with cool folks. Was kinda embarrassed to be doing a kids sport at this point so I told my wife that I was going drinking instead :lol: .

I'm surprisingly sore. Never fell, but I guess that it uses muscles that aren't part of my workout regimen.

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 2:09 am 

Anxious to get repairs to my trailer completed.
Have some issues with the MIG welder, ordered a new part and it was defective.
So I've had to resort to jumping the contactor.
Also out of CO2 with no more available until Thursday.
So I found I have a small bottle of C25, I do not remember why.
Decided to use it with the MIG and laid down my best welds ever.
Apparently the C25 is more expensive but if it will consistently let me weld like this it is probably worth it.

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 9:10 am 

I think I have my 67 Mustang "restomod" sold. But I have a couple of things to finish on it. I have the new rocker molding installed on one side and will tackle the other side now. Then get it back to the bodyshop for a final buff out.

Attachment:
IMG_2254.jpg
IMG_2254.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 722 times ]

Next time I will go for the original tooling mfg pieces rather than the knock off ones- they are really junk!

Thom

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 2:44 pm 

Nice car. I always liked the turn signal hood option on 67's. Does it have deluxe interior and overhead console?

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 5:56 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Nice car. I always liked the turn signal hood option on 67's. Does it have deluxe interior and overhead console?

This was a base Mustang. It is a California car- no rust! Had a 6 cyl/auto. Purchased it for my daughter while see was in college in Cal. Brought it back to WI in 2014. The motor/trans were tired.

I installed a 87 5.0 HO motor with a Hooley 600/Edelbrock RPM intake and 5 sp trans with a hyd clutch. Alum aftermarket rad. and a Pertronix dist and 90 amp Alt.

Attachment:
IMG_1955.PNG
IMG_1955.PNG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 704 times ]

Then upgraded the brakes to 2010 4 wheel discs. Bolted on 2005 Bullit Mustang 17" wheels/tires to clear the brakes. Also space saver spare to match.

Also a 69 Mustang 8" rear end. Installed a 2 1/2" stainless Magnaflow dual exhaust. New rear springs aftermarket rear sway bar.

It was originally Highland green. But someone had repainted Audi red. I had a single stage Candy Apple Red (Mustang orig color).

Thom

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 8:10 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

BostonWill wrote:
I think I have my 67 Mustang "restomod" sold. But I have a couple of things to finish on it. I have the new rocker molding installed on one side and will tackle the other side now. Then get it back to the bodyshop for a final buff out.

Attachment:
IMG_2254.jpg

Next time I will go for the original tooling mfg pieces rather than the knock off ones- they are really junk!

Thom

Nicely done! I've had two 67 coupes. The original rockers are pretty flimsy too.
I really like the sound of the door latches but found the power steering servo annoying to chase when going straight. A little left, the stem tilts left, the servo pulls the body to make the stem 90 again, and so it goes.

First was a basically stock 302/c4 in highschool, then a 351w/diy hyd t5/disc 8.8 with granada discs and I lowered the UCAPs and inch (just drilled new holes for the cross shaft) to shorten the VSA which was the shelby mod.

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 10:37 am 

I really like the sound of the door latches but found the power steering servo annoying to chase when going straight. A little left, the stem tilts left, the servo pulls the body to make the stem 90 again, and so it goes.

I forgot to mention I had converted the steering to a Randle's Rack power rack & pinion steering system and used to 87 PS pump. What a difference it made in the steering and handling along with the wider low profile 17" tires/wheels! The rack had been on Craigslist for about an hr when I called the guy. I drove right down to pick it up. It was a deal at $900! He had 2 offers for more money even before I could get there 2 hrs later! He had it on a 69 Shelby Mustang GT350 convertible. Pulled it off to make it stock again to sell it on Barrett Jackson auction. It had almost no use as it was a trailer queen car.

But I ended up needing one small part from Randle's rack. They were a pain to work with! Would never recommend anyone going to them. Unisteer's system is almost identical to theirs, would suggest you go to them 1st!

This whole process started when I thought I would keep the Mustang. But as time went on I decided I would instead keep my Replica Shelby 427 Cobra and the Locost I purchased in 2019.

Attachment:
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg [ 63.25 KiB | Viewed 668 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 668 times ]

Upgraded the 90 5.0 HO with TFS Twisted Wedge alum heads with stage 2 porting and an extrude honed lower intake and Kenne Bell 1.2 Supercharger, MSD Dist, Trick Flow fuel rails, 38lb injectors, 75mm throttle body, 83 mm MAF, Canton road race oil pan along with a T-5Z Cobra Mustang trans. Next I will replace the steel wheels with Halibrand style knock off wheels and Mustang II tubular front control arms and coil overs on both ends of the car.

This is the color scheme I am going with. The kit (from 1990) came with the tan interior and I always liked the Viking Blue originally used by Shelby on his 289 race cars. I do not have the diamond pleated design in the photo- just the original style pleating.

Attachment:
my cobra colors Viking Blue- tan interior.jpg
my cobra colors Viking Blue- tan interior.jpg [ 49.98 KiB | Viewed 668 times ]

Just not enough room for that many toys at my age! Turned 69 on the 6th and just don't have the energy I used to have.

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 12:13 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Those conversions are based on a 90s fwd rear steer rack. I depowered a similar rack for my trike but then realized the body was too long to clear so I switched to a dune buggy rack.

I' had a coworker build a similar black cobra with the kenne bell. About two years ago, it burned to the ground on his way home one day. I would have checked it out for him. I know he added a very high volume fuel system. What a waste. IMHO, I'd like a 260-289 flareless with a carb or tbi. Some of the originals were actually automatic.

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 1:37 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Those conversions are based on a 90s fwd rear steer rack. I depowered a similar rack for my trike but then realized the body was too long to clear so I switched to a dune buggy rack.

I' had a coworker build a similar black cobra with the kenne bell. About two years ago, it burned to the ground on his way home one day. I would have checked it out for him. I know he added a very high volume fuel system. What a waste. IMHO, I'd like a 260-289 flareless with a carb or tbi. Some of the originals were actually automatic.

If I do another build it will be a slab side 289 Cobra with a small block w/tbi, 5 sp, undercarriage exhaust, wire wheels and no scoop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next