LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 1:13 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
I've had several Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables, all with the venerable 3.0 pushrod V6 and automatic transaxle.... and I have this overwhelming desire to pare the front subframe down to it's minimum, remove the rack and pinion and lock the spindles in place, fab up some upper strut mounts, and build a Kelmark around that starting point.... even go so far as to use a second Taurus front subframe up front running depowered rack... for real points, go a couple of steps beyond the Pale and use the SHO Yamaha drivetrain.....

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 5:13 pm 

They do turn up on occasion, in fact I think new bodies may be available?
Fiberfab "GT40" body may be easier to find as they are fairly common on Craigslist.
If I ever get enough of my current projects completed I would like to do the Fiberfab on a Fiero V6/5 Speed.

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 9:15 pm 

The fit and finish of the fiberglass on my Kelmark was very good. It was still in its original gelcoat. The body was thicker and heavier than many kits; you could sit on a fender or lean on it without anything flexing. The interior trim and upholstery, door mechanisms, window lifts, wipers, etc. were all "just like a real car." There might be better ones now, but it was the best-fitted-out kit I'd ever seen, better than some production cars I'd owned.

I was suffering from "too many projects" and parted with it, alas.

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 9:38 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
They do turn up on occasion, in fact I think new bodies may be available?
Fiberfab "GT40" body may be easier to find as they are fairly common on Craigslist.
If I ever get enough of my current projects completed I would like to do the Fiberfab on a Fiero V6/5 Speed.

There is an Avenger GT12 projecr for sale locally with a corvair engine. Meets the GT40 -ish styling. If I had the room, I'd be looking....

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 10:44 pm 

Corvair version is less common than VW and vastly better.
Too far away for me to even think about, but the yearning is unavoidable. :roll:

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 7:46 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
The last one I saw in person was a V8 conversion with a steel tube frame. It wasn't finished (shocker) and the shop it was at was going out of business. One more before that was at a used car lot where it was actually being advertised as a FERRARI. The builder had put Ferrari logos on it and the owner of the lot ran with that.... even though no Ferrari I ever heard of ran a VW flat four

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 8:35 am 

I built a Kelmark GT back in the 80's. It was mid-engine with a Ford V6 and I even installed A/C. The only issue I had with the design was the fuel filler cap was vented and it would piss out fuel under hard acceleration on to the windshield. Had to run a vent hose from the tank, back to the carb. [probably not an issue with a VW motor] Also I wish it had access from the top for the front hood area. i.e. for the rad and condenser. The only body mods necessary was enclosing the rear engine bay for a functional trunk and extending the rocker paneling internally. Also being mid-engine I added a front engine bay access panel. It was an excellent kit. One of a every few kits that actually had roll up windows. DaveW

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 11:40 am 

Best looking of the era and beyond, as well. The rest of the VW based stuff looks like... well, it's a VW with a plastic body... not "complete", like the Kelmark looked.

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 2:36 pm 

Here you go. It says "project" but the pics look like a road ready car.....

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/ke ... 24959.html

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 3:00 pm 

That's a VERY nice start and an excellent price!
These days that sort of price is usually asked for rough, incomplete, and damaged projects.
This looks like you could recover a fair amount of the price by selling the VW bits. :D
Work carefully and you may save more than the asking price on just the paint! :shock:
If the OP is serious he needs to jump on this one.

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 3:02 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Here you go. It says "project" but the pics look like a road ready car.....

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/ke ... 24959.html

VW engine, so probably needs to be rebuild or replaced.
Still an excellent deal.

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 12:57 am 

My uncle sold his last summer, I don't think for very much either. He bought it as a running car, stripped out the vw drivetrain, and out a Ford 3.0 V6 in it with a 5 speed transaxle. The pushrod 3.0 is a decent engine, that's what I've got in my locost. Let it breath and rev and it pulls pretty decent, especially in something light.
Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 8:24 am 

niiiice!

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 10:52 am 

He started on it when I was a kid, and I finished my locost before he sold it. Ironically he bought another vw kit car to replace it, this time an old hag style one. It's staying be powered though. He tends to take a while on his projects, his 429 powered model A took about 30 years to finish.
Kristian

PostPosted: June 14, 2018, 12:10 pm 

I scored a free '62 rolltop VW from a coworker, found a $50 donor Karmann convertible, and ended up with a running 1800cc(??) backbone chassis.... ended up giving it away. Bad habit, that. It would have been perfect for a Kelmark.