LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 8:36 am 

I am having the most trouble "Social distancing" from my fridge!

My wife was told yesterday that her company may not have staff back into the building until the 1st part of July! Partly because some bean counter decided to do away with separate offices and cubicles in January to "save money with higher densification" so as to get rid if floor space rented. And now each work station is run together with 45" of work space for each person. There is only a 4" tall "partition" separating each space from the ones on each side and across from you.

Next will be permanent layoffs as each company looks at reduced profits and drastic need to improve the bottom line.

Even if they had a cure tomorrow, the impact of this is far from over!

Thom

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 9:16 am 

Wow. You're wife's bean counter is really behind the times. I thought that open office fad had been disproven in terms of productivity losses and was already faded out.

I'm probably a bit unusual. I'm in IT and currently work at a rural hospital. So I'm considered essential and have been working steadily this whole time.

We already had a major construction project going on requiring multiple moves. Then we completely reorged the hospital to isolate some patients and prepare for a wave of infected people that never came. Now that things have finally settled, we just started the process of moving everyone back to some sort of interim plan.

So we've been busier than ever. Unfortunately, just before Covid hit, one of my coworkers got an unrelated flu-like illness that put her into the hospital and eventually ended up with her intubated and in a coma. Luckily she eventually recovered but now has to work from home because of the current bug floating around. So we're about half a person down.

For me, the worst part has been how all the businesses pared down their hours to basically 9-5. I used to hit Walmart before work - now they don't open until after I'm already at work. Tractor supply closes at 6 instead of 9, so if I don't go right after work, I don't go until the weekend. Now the weekends are a zoo to try to get anything done. Deliveries take longer and that would be my way of working around the limited store hours. Other than that, being in a very rural area, we were surprised to find that our normal daily lives are called "quarantine".

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 10:37 am 

Our age puts us in the high risk group. Being retired helps us mitigate the social distancing issues. Many have it much worse than us with lost income, forced working in close quarters, etc, We are lucky that we are not experiencing any of that. So far, the wife and I have not gotten into any major fights, so that is good!

Not seeing our friends and family is the hardest part for us. We had to cancel a major trip this month. The 1 and 2 yr old grandkids do not understand 6 ft distancing so we just stay away and Zoom occasionally. 12 Yr old grandkid thinks she is immune due to her age :BH: Ahhh, to be young and immortal again!

This too will pass for the majority of us. We must do what we need to do in order to keep this in check until the vaccine is developed and distributed. Based on the performance of testing, I think the USA will have problems with the latter part once a vaccine is approved.

Stay distant, Stay safe and get out to your man shed and build. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:07 am 

I got laid off about a month ago. Based on the market I saw it coming, we had kind of a double whammy between COVID and oil. I was just shy of ten years at that company so I got severance, thankfully. That said, the job market for someone with my skills isn't great right now, so fingers crossed I find something before money gets too tight!

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 12:32 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
I am having the most trouble "Social distancing" from my fridge!
I am having the most trouble "social distancing" from my kids!

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on May 7, 2020, 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 12:38 pm 

Like Chuck, I am retired, and benefit from a reliable pension, so I can self-isolate, drugs and groceries aside, in 'comfort'. But I am in a high risk demographic, and am in a post-heart-attack regime with gimpy knees to boot. Self-isolation can reduce my risk of infection, but would really like to have easier access to 'routine' health care. I just got off a telephone appointment with my Doc (COVID 19 forced a Provincial billing policy change allowing docs to bill for phone calls, which is good), and will get a face-to-face (mask-to-mask?) visit next week for a cardiac consult and some cortisone shots. I was due for may first knee replacement later this summer, but COVID 19 has likely pushed that a couple of months later with the suspension of elective surgeries. It could be later than that, because I'm not keen on knee replacement and rehabilitation during the winter. My wife will beat me if she has to go through another winter as the snow shoveller-in-chief.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 9:07 pm 

The biggest disruption to my life so far is not being able to do any shopping. I do 99% of the cooking and like to do grocery shopping. Plus they know me there. Need to do some little things on the car but need a couple of parts and am reluctant to go get them. I have pretty severe COPD therefore high risk.

So I stay home. Read a lot. Going through John Morton's book 'Inside Shelby American' again. It's a good read.

Stay safe y'all!

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:51 pm 

Like Warren, I too am retired, with a solid pension thank goodness. Wife and I were not very much social butterflies pre Covid 19, except for our kids and grandkids. Tough to explain to the little ones why they can't come and visit.
Lucky for us we live in a very rural based population, our risk is very low even when going to the grocery store. I can walk into our local (25 mile drive) Walmart or No Frills grocery stores any day of the week and there are no more than 20 - 25 people getting groceries. Pretty easy to physical distance in these circumstances.
In some ways you would never know the world has gone for sh1t in Holden (population 385, not including dogs and cats), Alberta, Canada.
Stay safe my build friends, this war isn't over yet. Stay safe..........

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 8, 2020, 12:16 am 

Unluckily this winter my leukemia came back and wiped out my immune system...just in time for the Covid19 pandemic. I've had to be "scared" of contact with anyone and any sickness (cold, flu, etc) not just Covid. Luckily 1) the docs are getting the leukemia under control and my blood chemistry gets better as each week goes by and 2) we have a 4 season cottage that is very isolated so my wife and I have been living there for 2 months where keeping my distance from other people is really easy because there are no people around. Now that some of my stamina is returning I can tinker in the garage with woodworking and car projects and go for walks without fear of meeting the Virus. I do miss visiting with friends and family though. One of my buddies is currently doing a neat construction project and normally I'd help out but can't right now.

I'm also retired but don't have a pension. I live off of my savings and investments and, so far, I'm pleased with how my portfolio has been holding up. Yes, it's lost a little value but then again during quarantine we don't need anywhere near as much money to live comfortably as we did back in "normal" times. I do have a concern about the future, post Covid, value of our fixed assets though....in particular what will happen to home, land and private aircraft prices?

So far quarantine isn't really bothering me as I have no choice, I either avoid people or take a huge health risk. But, after the leukemia is stabilized again in about 6 months, I'm thinking that the Covid problem won't yet be solved and that will mean staying at home rather than being able to travel. As a Canadian snowbird I want to to be able to get away from winter but I fear that Covid may keep us at home next winter. Perry, you must feel the same.

Stay safe. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Bill

PostPosted: May 8, 2020, 1:04 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Perry, you must feel the same.

Bill.....I admire your outlook during this time, and am happy to hear health wise that you are gaining ground :yay:
And yes, Karen and I are watching and waiting to see what happens this winter. We are prepared either way to winter or to go south, only time will tell.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 14, 2020, 3:53 pm 

Honestly? Not much has changed, except I can't pop over to visit the grandparents every week. :(

I usually did my grocery shopping between 22:30 and 1:30 when near nobody was in the store, so now I have to mask up and deal with the glove wearing herds of TP zombies...
The irony of reduced store hours forcing me to be in contact with more people. :roll:

The company I'm with has essential status, so it's been smooth sailing on that front.

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 7:13 am 

300D50 wrote:
The irony of reduced store hours forcing me to be in contact with more people. :roll:

I've thought about this too. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but the older I get the less sense the world seems to make.

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 10:25 am 

The most annoying thing, by far, has been having the illogical, fear, and paranoia absolutely destroy common sense and rational thought.

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 6:33 am 

Trochu wrote:
The most annoying thing, by far, has been having the illogical, fear, and paranoia absolutely destroy common sense and rational thought.

What? Where, I have not seen that in humanity for years!

Thom

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 4:01 pm 

I've had to give up internet dating, and meaningless sex with random strangers. I'm afraid one of them is going to touch my face.

(Perhaps this would be better in the Heard Any Good Jokes? thread, but too late now. Anyway, I'm kidding)