LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Telemongering calls
PostPosted: June 9, 2020, 1:23 pm 

I stretch the truth a bit.

I do the "press one to get a human to fix your 1920's jalopy warranty" thing, then when I get a human I sternly state "This is a restricted access critical services number, remove it from your list. The proper people have already been notified of this infraction. Thank you.", which usually gets a "Ah, ok, sorry to bother you, have a nice day..." response and the serial calling stops for about a week and a half.

I restrict access to my number, and getting assistance calls from elderly relatives is a critical service in my book. 8)

PostPosted: June 13, 2020, 9:18 am 

Bent Wrench wrote:
I dream of using asterisk or some other switchboard software to whitelist incoming calls but the FAX machine trick has worked well enough that motivation is low.

I don't understand why nobody has a whitelist app for Android. I have half a dozen people I want to accept calls from; otherwise, I don't want it to ring. I got my carrier (Verizon) to turn off texts and voicemail; they drag their feet and whine, but they *will* do it. Lasts a couple of years, then they turn them back on and it takes another two or three hours on the phone before they'll turn them off again.

DAK, or one of its clones, used to sell a doodad thirty or so years ago. It picked up the phone, played a message, and waited for a passcode. The message could be "enter extension number" or whatever. You could pass your number out everywhere, but only give the passcode to people you wanted to hear from. If the code got out, you could change it. Alas, I've been unable to find anything like that now.

PostPosted: May 23, 2021, 10:33 pm 

I used to get 8-9 calls a day from a mortgage company susposedly specializing in loans for veterans. They wouldn't go away nicely.

Eventually I emailed the owner, his wife, and inlaws photos of their home, license plates, boat names, kid's school, their daily routines and schedules, and some old reporting about a possible inappropriate relationship while running a "boy band factory" in southern Florida. All legal and cordial. You really do need to keep an eye on your social media exposure...

Oddly enough the calls stopped permanently. :lol:

In most places once warned certain calls qualify for a dollar amount that you can collect in small claims without too much work. Once you've identified the actual caller at least.