LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: moving on
PostPosted: July 23, 2020, 8:39 pm 

so now i am in florida, happy i made the move, not happy with what i had to sell my arizona house for but you must take what you can when you get it but at least i now have an income of $1100 a month for 20 years.
the florida house is gutted like no sheet rock anywhere, when you look up you see the inside of the roof, breaker panel so old that you can't get breakers for it anymore, old copper plumbing in the slab that leaks and broken windows.
this all sounds ok if you know how to frame, wire, plumb etc. but lowes is only 20 minutes away and the lumber yard is closer, got to love that southern yellow pine.
now we come to the real problems, new square D breaker panel and can't get breakers for it, hell that why i was changing it in the first place!
try buying anything, no stock, sharkbite fittings, switchplates, doors, unless you want mobile home quality, bath tubs, no stock, we can get it for you on special order as if that is supposed to make me feel special, 3 to 7 days they say then after a week they put your order back another seven and on and on.
order on the net i here you say, yes i did only to find out a week after ordering a shower valve that it will be shipped in another week, from hongkong or the ac duct flanges, i ordered 3, it came today, emphasis on it.
to boot, my indoor fat cat went out for the first time and vanished into the jungle across the street and hasn't come home and i miss him like i would miss my leggs in fact i would probably exchange them for him coming home.
i suppose i should have known i was in for a hard time even before i moved here, i have a gmc 3500 box truck which i bought just to move stuff, well all went well on the first trip down, on the way back it spat out a piston, i repaired it only to find that every ball joint and bush or bearing in the front end was shot, death wobble, look it up, fixed that and went south with another load, the contence of my shop, and used up 3 ac compressors on the way and of course they were no quibble warrented but what about the 134a and the belts that snapped when they locked up or the belt breaking 50 miles from a place near nowhere but from the top of the hill i was stranded on you could see nowhere
the truck is now storage for my stuff as i don't have a shop built yet.
i decided to go back to arizona to get my little car in something other that the box truck, i have two range rovers in florida so i fit new tires on one and set off for az, well i didn't quite get to the end of my drive, some 50 feet before the water pump pulley fell off, that ok i have a spare range rover so i used that to go get my little car, anything else i had and the wife and cats.
when we arrived in florida i found that the county had repaved my road, its dead smooth and they checked it with a special beam machine to boot.
so apart from my cat going missing and that you can't get anything, things could be looking up, as the man with one eye said as he sat on his glass eye.
oh, what interesting things did i do today? i cut two, not one but two 14-1/2" diameter holes in the side of my brick house for the ac package unit ducting, sweet.

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post subject: Re: moving on
PostPosted: July 23, 2020, 11:40 pm 

Holy moly John, I was waiting to read that there was this big dark cloud following you wherever you went.
Anyhoo, good on you to be able to decompress here and IMHO make light of the situation.
We've all had days, weeks, months, years like this that have tested our stamina and have given us the opportunity to overcome and become better people :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 12:43 am 

strange that you mention a big dark cloud Perry, it has been stormy for the whole month, didn't see the sun for the first two weeks we were here.

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 2:52 am 

I would not want to sit on a glass eye, things would not look good if that happened.

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 12:45 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Holy moly John, I was waiting to read that there was this big dark cloud following you wherever you went.
john hennessy wrote:
strange that you mention a big dark cloud Perry, it has been stormy for the whole month, didn't see the sun for the first two weeks we were here.
Like this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 23, 2021, 10:58 pm 

Lol. And here I thought the insurance company having my car for a full year with no progress was annoying.

Kudos, sir. :cheers:

Sure you've figured something out by now bit if you're still having supply problems local plumbing supply houses stock the higher end components for the pros and usually sell to the public. If not, bring a list and pay cash. Ones around here usually have the electrical/HVAC side as well.

Sounds like you bought a hurricane rehab... Straightforward, but pretty hard to build a lego castle without all the blocks.

PostPosted: January 17, 2024, 9:55 pm 

been a while sice i posted about my house progress.
being as i am 74 in about 3 weeks and have endured some kind of sickness that had me not being able to lift an electric drill or walk and distance which lasted about a year,( i thought i was on the slippery slope to the crematorium ). i am now better than i was before.
the house has progressed over the almost 4 years and i have new plumbing in pex, new electric, sheetrock everywhere, lights, a kitchen, an extention and a new 35' x 25' shop, plus the usual stuff like beds and chairs.

the illness was a complete mystery, but i discovered that it was my diet so i cut out any wheat or wheat products, all cooking oil products, anything in a packet including cans and any products that contained high fructus corn syrup. that seems to have done the trick.

of course i am now up to my eyes in credit card debt but at least it is going down by the month, i think it will be all paid off by february ( 2026 ).

but i have never been so content in my life, i have nothing to pressure me and if i did, i could not afford to do it anyway.

i consider myself lucky to still be here as the recent death of my oldest friend a few months ago hit home hard.