LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: covid 19
PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 4:10 pm 

chrisser wrote:
May be in the minority, but at least I'm consistent. I've been saying the same thing since April.

Give me the virus. I'm in my early 50s, in good health. I can schedule 14 days off, be sick on my terms and be done with it. If I have a bad reaction, then we won't have to waste time testing for Covid because we'll know where it came from. We can schedule it when there are plenty of ICU beds just in case. Could have done this in the summer where there's plenty of sun (vitamin-d) and no chance of weather-related complications.

If I get it now, it will be unplanned, I'll probably end up spreading it before I get diagnosed, we're in the middle of winter with lots of other bugs going around, my immune system is low and it's cold and wet outside. Plus, with the holidays, it's likely it would get spread by me even further. And I could have another cold or the flu at the same time. And now I'm cooped up inside with the windows closed so my wife would almost definitely get it at the same time.

Granted, this type of action wouldn't apply to everyone. But just think how much further we'd be along towards herd immunity if we had just done a controlled infection of the healthy these last nine months.

We share similar points of view. I would further add that the virus isn’t likely to go away anytime within any of our lifetimes. My expectation is that virtually every single person will be exposed to it, given time. Statistically, the older you are the more dangerous it is, so I’d rather get it today than two years from now. In my opinion, we are simply delaying the inevitable.

Last edited by RTz on December 22, 2020, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 4:11 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
chrisser wrote:
May be in the minority, but at least I'm consistent. I've been saying the same thing since April.

Give me the virus. I'm in my early 50s, in good health. I can schedule 14 days off, be sick on my terms and be done with it. If I have a bad reaction, then we won't have to waste time testing for Covid because we'll know where it came from. We can schedule it when there are plenty of ICU beds just in case. Could have done this in the summer where there's plenty of sun (vitamin-d) and no chance of weather-related complications.

If I get it now, it will be unplanned, I'll probably end up spreading it before I get diagnosed, we're in the middle of winter with lots of other bugs going around, my immune system is low and it's cold and wet outside. Plus, with the holidays, it's likely it would get spread by me even further. And I could have another cold or the flu at the same time. And now I'm cooped up inside with the windows closed so my wife would almost definitely get it at the same time.

Granted, this type of action wouldn't apply to everyone. But just think how much further we'd be along towards herd immunity if we had just done a controlled infection of the healthy these last nine months.

It wouldn't work well if your wish came true. We don't know the exact percentage of people who die from COVID-19 because it is underreported as a cause of death here in the USA, and throughout the world.

Let's just guess that it's 1% of people who fall ill. So, we have roughly 280,000,000 people in the USA. To get to herd immunity we need at least 70% (some say 75%) of the population to be infected. That's 196,000,000 people. If 1% of them die that's 196,000,000 x 0.01 = 1,960,000 folks - almost 2M.

I hope you feel that's too high a price to pay. Especially, since we could have likely held the number of deaths to less than 200,000 if strict public health measures would have been observed from February of 2020. That would be a difference of 1,960,000 - 200,000 = 1,760,000 souls from worst case to best case. Don't you think a little self-sacrifice for 12 months would be worth 1.75M+ lives? I bet you do.

Besides, probably someone you know and love would have been in that 1,960,000 total. And, please think about this. In the herd immunity case our healthcare system would have been beyond overwhelmed. Many people would have gotten zero care. The 1% death rate in that case is likely optimistic.

Merry Christmas. Count your blessings. That's what I'm doing anyway.

Cheers,

It's the only way.

We are dispensing the virus today as I type this. It does not provide immunity - it just lessons the symptoms and provides some antibodies, but not enough to guarantee you won't catch it. You still have to take the same precautions (PPE, distancing, unemployment) as before.

I hate to break this to you, but Covid is hugely overreported as a cause of death, especially in the U.S. where hospital compensation is driven by the diagnosis. We're at 99% recovery rate with everything from gunshot wound to flu deaths being attributed to Covid. We didn't cure the flu or heart disease or diabetes over the last nine months but that's what the numbers would say. The actual death rate is likely far less than 1% for anyone healthy and under 70. I'm not saying it is not unpleasant, but it certainly isn't the black death. Most people will either be asymptomatic or have the same symptoms as a bad cold or flu and then they'll be done.

Those who are in danger of worse are at risk. Of covid, of the flu, of pneumonia, of chicken pox, of any number of other diseases. They should be very careful.

PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 4:11 pm 

Sorry. Double post.

PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 7:28 pm 

My wife and I received our covid vaccinations last saturday (11.19.2020) It was the Pfizer variant. 2nd dose in 3 weeks
Mild flu like symptoms about 6-7 hrs after receiving it, but mostly tired. Better the next day but left arm was quite sore. Managed to work on my car most of the day, so its really not that bad. 2nd day post vaccination and i was 100% back to normal.

FYI - I initially wanted to wait a year to get it (im in my 40s, no medical problems) but decided that i would get it eventually, so might as well now. I was also afraid of testing positive at some point and needing to close my practice for 2 weeks. THis would be a serious hardship to my patients who need me and my family ($$$$$)
Covid has definitely been more political than any disease that i am aware of, but the vaccine is really no big deal, and in the long run will help us get to herd immunity, and move forward.

It will be interesting to look back a few years from now and see if Sweden's approach was the right way to handle "pandemics" - Personally, i think so, but time will tell. Being self employed x 20 years, it kills me to hear that 3400 restaurants in the Boston area are out of business. Hopefully it saved some lives.......

PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 8:41 pm 

I have to keep telling myself to stay out of this discussion. But somehow, I cannot resist.

Heard immunity is reached by previously being infected, or by Vaccines. I hope that most of us will reach our personal immunity via vaccine.

There are now 2 approved vaccines based on mRNA in the USA. See above.

Covid mortality numbers have exceeded the Flu several times over. Those who argue against that data are simply not paying attention.

Finally: Nobody has ever been convinced to change their mind from a post on the internet.

I hope that we will all see this disease to it's end and we can all get back to talking about cars again.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 22, 2020, 10:08 pm 

chrisser wrote:
Text omitted - too much to repeat.

I see.

Do you by chance also believe that Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election in a landslide?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 23, 2020, 5:06 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
chrisser wrote:
Text omitted - too much to repeat.

I see.

Do you by chance also believe that Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election in a landslide?

Cheers,

Somebody said it, so it must be true! :BH:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: December 24, 2020, 5:48 pm 
Always Moore!

And on that note - everyone go and have a happy and safe socially distant holiday with your family, friends, and loved ones.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3