LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 1:01 pm 

I'm working with Jerry the founder and moderator of the Yahoo North America Newsgroup to move some of their mountains of information onto this site since they are running out of disc space. I will post a direct link to the page after I get it up and running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 1:16 pm 
Are you looking at bringing over archived information or more current stuff? I was digging for some info there this morning, but as always, searching isn't the easiest. I'd love to have it available in an easier to use format! Thanks for the extra effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 1:23 pm 

I am working on a little application as a way to extract all the messages out of the web format. I've got most of them into text files. Annoyingly they kept changing the html file format over time but I've got most the variations covered. I'd love to extract into a MySQL database but wonder what Yahoo would think of any IP issues. I think it would be possible to convert them so we could import into this forum ...

depends if there is interest in that. I don't want to piss off anyone. Did your forum software come with any import docs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 2:33 pm 

Dave wrote:
I am working on a little application as a way to extract all the messages out of the web format. I've got most of them into text files. Annoyingly they kept changing the html file format over time but I've got most the variations covered. I'd love to extract into a MySQL database but wonder what Yahoo would think of any IP issues. I think it would be possible to convert them so we could import into this forum ...

depends if there is interest in that. I don't want to piss off anyone. Did your forum software come with any import docs?

I used an automated setup, I really don't know much about it. I'll check into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 3:15 pm 

looks like non of the known converters would be work. I could probably write my own.

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php#converters

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 6:54 pm 
I used a perl script called yahoo2mbox to pull all of the messages from the group. I think it missed a few due to misc errors, but I have the whole batch through about mid-May I think. It puts them in a standard *NIX mbox format, which you should be able to parse pretty easily.

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2005, 11:20 pm 

For now I made this page and I will work on getting it up to date as I get time.