LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 24, 2022, 4:01 pm 

Dears my name is Tarek from Egypt and am glad to join you guys. I have a dream to build my sports car just like the locost, westfield and this style of sports car. I have the book of ron champion and i saw many many designs on the internet and i liked the bike engine type but wonder how to start building the car with the bike engine for example the 1000cc honda i saw many using a driveshaft fitted to the engine i want to know how it's fitted, and one last thing if am not going to build using bike engine how to choose the donor vehicle ??? And thank you alot guys

PostPosted: December 25, 2022, 9:00 pm 

Hi and welcome.

Engine to driveshaft is with an adapter.
https://hawkmachine.com/shop-1
I made one out of a sprocket for my original engine but ended up buying a lightweight aluminum one as the build progressed.

Whether you build with a bike or not, a donor car will make things easier. Like hubs/spindles, differential, brakes, axles. Your suspension build may change depending on the donor vehicle parts.

PostPosted: December 27, 2022, 1:11 pm 

Hi Tarek
Find a donor car which is easy to find in your local area. Availability of new and used parts is also important.
I considered using a bike engine when I started, but decided against it. If you are building a track car, then a bike engine is hard to beat for horsepower and weight.
I do track my car, but I use it for street driving as well. Having a reverse gear is important to me, and I think that many bike engine cars have a very tall first gear.
Good luck with your project!
cheers
Doug