LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 7:48 pm 

So i lucked into a deal and acquired both an air/oil cooled as well as liquid cooled gsxr 1100 engines from a legends dwarf racer. Both completel setups with carbs, driveshaft adapters, ignition systems, fuel systems, headers, manuals and spares. Both have unique advantages and disadvantages but was wonder from you guys that have done this what (in your opinion) would be the best solution? Primarily going to be an autocross car but may see “some” street time. Weight is my main concern keeping it as low as possible as to ballast where needed/if needed. Any tips???

J

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 12:00 pm 

For what it's worth...

I had a GSXR1100 air cooled motor in an off-road minibuggy several years ago.. As you would imagine, it had ALL of the power you could want, and in my case, I never had issues with it overheating (which was an initial concern).. Having said that, the engine was not stuffed under a hood with poor airflow- it was well ducted and hung out in the open, and it also had an oversized oil cooler (which worked well)..

So if you can get good airflow over the motor, I think I'd default to the air cooled lump as you said weight is a concern (and assuming you don't plan to run it in the desert for hours on end :lol: )

Worst case, if it does give you issues, you can always swap the water cooled unit in..

Good luck, and post pics of what you do :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 8:51 pm 

That’s what i was thinking as well. It came with a large Setrab oil cooler and I’ve been contemplating use of fans and ducting. Although I’m probably going to sell the other unit and spares though to reinvest back into the project.

Thanks
J

PostPosted: April 26, 2018, 8:18 am 

i have built a number of cars using the GSXR motors most every one i pick a liquid cooled one.
using both a oil cooler and radiator for there cooling needs.
i look at it this way if the factory when from air cooling to liquid for reasons one being performance then for me it's also the better thing to do.
in most cases i will add a cooling fan also. yes it does add weight but setting the fan switch at 180 it will also keep the performance of the motor consistent. needless to say when a motor starts to get just a little over heated you will lose power.
i would see this on my P1/DSR car under a tracks red flag or sitting at pit out for to long the car was slow to accelerate up to speed from being heat soaked.