LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 27, 2020, 5:47 pm 

Hello to everyone on the LocostUSA forum,

For quite some time, I have been browsing through the builds on here and thought it would be a good idea to document my progress as well as gain insight from other members. I am currently working on my first project. A slightly modified version of the T89 SSL, designed by Callan from t89.co.uk, which conforms to the GCR of the SCCA.

The idea for my car came from my love for Indy and F1 cars and was largely inspired by the cars built in FSAE (GO ILLINI!!!). I have always dreamed of being able to drive something like this, but for myself and I'm sure many others, this didn't seem very obtainable. Further complicating the matter, as a paraplegic, any car I can drive needs to be specially modified with hand controls. After doing a bit of research, it became apparent that the only realistic option was to build it myself.

Over the past year and a half, I have been acquiring necessary tools/materials and honing my Tig welding skills. I am now confident enough in my abilities! Hence, the beginning of Project Mindy: A "Mini Indy" car that will be powered by a chain-driven 2016 CBR1000rr engine turbocharged with a Borg and Warner EFR6258.

And now the FUN begins......

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 1:29 pm 

Welcome Ben :cheers:

I think this will be our first car here designed for a paraplegic. Although I have no experience in the required amenities, I will be watching as you move along in your build. We have a lot of various talents here. Feel free to ask for help or advice when you get a brain freeze.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 1:51 pm 

Welcome Ben. A turbo on a CBR1000??? you must really like speed!!!!! Check out the USA7 forum for scannon posts on the wench he put in his seven to raise and lower him into his seat. Pretty cool idea. Keep up posted on your progress. Where are you located? Local people might be able to assist you in your quest, Russ

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 1:57 pm 

A few pictures of what I've already built and then some parts that are going to go on the engine.

Big thanks to my Dad + Friends: Callan, Jordan and Turbo Joe Fabriction. Couldn't have done this without them!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am in the NW Suburbs of Chicago but go to school in Champaign. Only one semester left before graduation! Which unfortunately is long overdue... Lol

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 2:21 pm 

Welcome Ben

Did you order the full set of plans for the T89? I'd love to see some pics of the prints. Curious especially about the front uprights.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 29, 2020, 10:57 am 

Welcome aboard Ben! Remember to post lots of build pics.
I have a buddy in the same shape as you, nothing stops him. He comes over one day and we're standing/sitting around the TBird 7 in the shop. I walk to the house for something, get back to the shop and he's sitting in the passenger seat of the 7! Asked how the hell did you transfer into the 7? He says easy, just depended on how bad he wanted to go for a ride in it :rofl: Needless to say we went for a dam good ride and his hair was straight back for a while.
Build on!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 29, 2020, 12:50 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

trialsmangasgas wrote:
...Check out the USA7 forum for scannon posts on the wench he put in his seven to raise and lower him into his seat...

I guess she must have been really hot...

"Wench"
noun, a girl or young woman.
archaic, a prostitute

Last edited by KB58 on February 29, 2020, 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 29, 2020, 1:13 pm 

"I guess she must have been really buff."

TIFTFY

PostPosted: February 29, 2020, 3:51 pm 

Welcome Ben! I will also be looking forward to seeing your build. Though he was not a paraplegic, my grand father lost a leg when he was in his 40s and could not wear a prosthetic do to the surgery going wrong. But I can still see him in my mind climbing/hopping up a ladder to nail together a roof for the chicken shed. He was not going to let it stop him from "getting it done"!

Thom

PostPosted: March 1, 2020, 4:09 am 

The lift is pretty cool but unfortunately I'm extremely stubborn and try to do everything for myself unassisted....But, If anybody knows a pretty young lady who likes guys in wheelchairs then I might be willing to reconsider the wench idea lol.

Appreciate all the encouragement. I've learned the only thing that typically holds you back is yourself.

And I do have the full plans for the car but will have to look at the uprights again. I think they are either miata or aftermarket.

Russ - I do like going fast.... :)

PostPosted: March 1, 2020, 9:26 pm 

Welcome Ben, I'm a newb at this too. You've got some ambition there! I'll be watching this.

My same thoughts on the turbo, really? Ok. Ha!

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 11:24 am 

Hey Ben, I have a spinal cord injury too. So I'll be watching your build with special interest.
Thank you for posting that t89 site. I've always wanted a Lola like the Razorbill and that one with the dsg would be the bees knees for paralyzed people.
Do you have a place to drive an open wheel car?
-skip

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 12:04 pm 

As a right-thinking BEC TURBO builder, we are honored to have you Ben.. welcome

As stated- we thrive on pictures of what goes well (as well as what goes squirrely)..

"Mindy"... for some sexist reason I've just always assumed my cars were all female.. Min-Indy; Mindy... Love it :D .. She's going to be one exciting ride :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: March 24, 2020, 12:10 am 

Hey guys:

I don't care what anyone says, I think the turbo is perfectly appropriate! Haha It might be overkill but it's going to be awesome don't you think?

Skip: Glad you like the t89 site. They are really great people! The car will have hand controls, maybe not even any pedals since I can't use them and who needs the extra weight lol, but still haven't decided. There are several race tracks in illinois. I joined the scca and am building to their rules so it will be track and race eligible. Have been in direct contact with them to verify car designs. Message me back if you want to talk more about it!

Ccrunner: I'm actually a huge fan of that car. Have seen it on YouTube many times. Well done indeed!

Here are some new pics for everybody. The differential is from West Garage and has a disc brake on it but no caliper attached yet. Then I was finally able to get quarter inch steel waterjet cut. The two plates will be welded inside the rear sub frame and will house the diff assembly. Will have pictures of it all put together soon I hope but I included a rendered image for you guys.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoying their time in the garage. Since my vacation has been canceled, I've dedicated corona week to working on the car. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.