LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 06 Gl 1800 vs 04 K1200lt
PostPosted: October 22, 2020, 12:37 pm 

Great day
Have been lurking here for some time. Into many different things, have young and old kids, business, family, home, and not loads of time.
What I do have, or have ready. Is most of the molds ready for a caterham (10” longer) long fender and short. Basically done my first frame for use with a 1986 Toyota Twin cam 5 speed, with its wiring etc.

Next project, hopefully to be started before 2021. Is a motorcycle engined 7. Front engined, live axel. Though Ive toyed with the idea of independent, for now I will keep it simple. As I have a whack of posi locks that need to be used.

I have a few bike engines etc ready to go, as I deal in salvage. The 2004 Honda Saber 1100, big and chain drive. 2008 R1, 2009 CBR 600, 2006 Aprilia SVX 550 obviously the most torque happy light weight. Or a 2018 BMW S1000RR which is probably being saved for later.

The main candidates are the 2006 Honda Goldwing GL1800, not to tall. Good torque, smooth and with reverse.
Also, a 2004 BMW K1200LT. Not too tall, excellent power delivery. Again, with reverse.

Mostly based on Ron Chapman design, and I sort of got ahead of myself before the winter here in Canada. Got the molds ready, as I dont care too much for glass fibering in the winter. That said, things can be changed in the future if needed.

I am sort of leaning toward the Honda, because it is a bit shorter. And I like the weight being symmetric. As it seems the BMW will have more of an offset driveshaft encroaching on the passenger compartment. Minor.

Still obviously in the planning stages, but as I start to fit the Toyota. I want to have an idea...

Kind Regards
Jim :cheers:

PostPosted: October 23, 2020, 9:20 pm 

I don't get the allure of the Goldwing motor. They're so detuned for their application, why not go with a car engine? As for the others, I'd go R1. Been done many times to good effect.

PostPosted: October 23, 2020, 9:51 pm 

kreb wrote:
I don't get the allure of the Goldwing motor. They're so detuned for their application, why not go with a car engine? As for the others, I'd go R1. Been done many times to good effect.

He did say "reverse"! I don't know of any R1 with that feature already designed in.

That being said, didn't somebody here consider the Goldwing engine in a Locost chassis some years back? IIRC it was pretty wide for a book chassis. I may be mis-remebering that though.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 23, 2020, 10:53 pm 

It is wider than the k1200
Can’t seem to find the Goldwing question? Tried 1800 also
Both bikes use the starter motor to engage reverse

PostPosted: October 24, 2020, 12:27 am 

Stock Goldwing is almost 900lbs
How much do average motorcycle engined 7’s weigh.
Also, when you add a tune, after exhaust change. Port polish etc you get some decent numbers.
Of course when you add a turbo or two, things get over 200hp. And, the stock motors can handle it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... gMB04-nMiY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... mbiCgh48PI

Not needing that kind of power, as I would mainly cruise at low rpm. Also, the low torque of either is very appealing.

I do plan on a small turbo for either long term. :shock:

PostPosted: October 24, 2020, 12:33 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
kreb wrote:

He did say "reverse"! I don't know of any R1 with that feature already designed in.

That being said, didn't somebody here consider the Goldwing engine in a Locost chassis some years back? IIRC it was pretty wide for a book chassis. I may be mis-remebering that though.

To each their own. To me Locost is synonymous with supercar-esque levels of speed (at least until the crappy aero cuts it off). The Goldwing wouldn't give you a rocket by Locost standards, but would still be very quick, and more refined than most BECs. But I wouldn't let the reverse thing be that big a factor. Given all the hours of work that it takes to build a car, adding an electric reverse is fairly trivial.

PostPosted: October 25, 2020, 12:57 pm 

Honda engineeered the Goldwing for its weight, with a passenger and gear.
Suppose if its a track car, an R1 or S1000rr makes sense as your not carrying wife and groceries

PostPosted: May 28, 2021, 1:50 pm 

Given the extra weight of a car, to me it's a no-brainer to go for the bigger, torquier engine.

And the sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFzBWAKYq3Q&t=524s

PostPosted: May 29, 2021, 11:53 am 

No a locost is not a supercar nor does one have the same power levels.

A Locost is a minimalist design, a super light yet rigid chassis with supple suspension.
It derives it's feeling of power due to the power to weight ratio, the low weight carries through the entire driving experience.
It is a very nimble design that is able to change directions very quickly.... It should actually be better than a supercar in this aspect.

And that is what gives a Locost the "supercar" moniker.
It forsakes the big power mentality and instead of being able to leave black marks from the exit of one corner to the entrance of the next, or hit 200+mph.
It provides handling and grip that don't require slowing as near as much for a corner than the heavier car does.
A Locost is not a Cobra

Pure MINIMALIST, no AC, No Stereo, no roof, no doors, nothing extra, and everything with an eye on finished weight, no DOT bumpers, etc.
To me anything that detracts from that goal is to be avoided.

The other aspect of this thought is the venue, I don't think a Locost is a good track car, it has no business on the track due to the lack of driver protection for those speeds.
I like a bike motor for the above reasons, to me any problems with a bike motor would arise from installing it in a chassis that is heavier and has more traction than a bike.
A trike would be a great candidate for a GL motor, going over the 800-1000# GVW would start to become a negative in my eyes.