LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 1:32 am 

Been thinking of building a space frame for a long time but lack the welding skill. Which welder should I pick up for building the book frame? Mig? Tig? Flux Core? Arc??

Looks like the Arc welding is easiest on the equipment, no gas required.
Flux core, it spatters too much, watched a few videos, feel like it is not that controlable..and not producing clean welds...
MIG, it requires gas and 220V outlet, which I don't have in my garage..
TIG, it requires gas as well, and i was told it was hard for beginners.

I thinking of getting a welder and start practicing welding, which one should I get???

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 8:09 am 

Buy the best welder you can afford. You will be using it the rest of your life. Check Craig list for good deal on a used welder. Check out welding 101, written several years ago but is still relevant.

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 10:11 am 

I started with a 120V Hobart 140. It worked but was limited. I upgraded to a Miller 211 with Autoset and Multi voltage plug. The autoset is great and helps with learning by taking one adjustment out. You set the wire size and metal thickness and it sets the feed rate. Once you get the movements weld pool control, you can take it out of autoset if needed based on what you are welding. I can also leave it in auto set but adjust the thickness knob based on what I am welding. This welder can do anything I ever envision myself welding.

Get the best welder and make sure it can take gas. I had to sell off the Hobart at a loss and I didnt even put a 10lb spool through it.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 10:42 am 

You aren't required to run 240 for a Mig.
The ones I've used in the past were all standard 110 outlet, but with a lower duty cycle.
My dad's is an older MAC Tools branded Miller 140, I believe. For a 110 machine, it has a much higher duty cycle than the newer ones. He's had it at least 20 years.

We're in the process of moving & the house we're trying to get has a 20x26 'shop' (metal bldg with 3 roll up doors & a slab, but bare inside)
Plan to pick up a Mig of my own, if we get the house, and run power (and maybe a mini-split A/C) out to the shed.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 11:47 am 

@yuta

Yes, it's a little confusing at the start, isn't it?

110V will do fine for the chassis and most things you'll do with a Locost build. Try to get into welding classes at your local adult education site (usually a high school) or community college. Many colleges now offer weekend classes for the public now. You don't have to have much in the way of equipment (usually a helmet, gloves, welding pliers, safety glasses and a few other small items) and you can often try several welding processes during the course. e.g., Arc, MIG, TIG welding.

Some of the "off brand" welders and the equipment from Harbor Freight and similar is getting pretty darn good, and is adequate for a Locost project. Try looking at some reviews of welding equipment on YouTube from good sources like Welding.com, etc. On the other hand, if you CAN buy a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart or other major brand, do so. You won't be sorry. They're very reliable and last forever.

My little 110V Miller 140 Autoset has been fantastic. I haven't found a situation building a Locost where it wasn't able to do the job I wanted done.

Good luck. I hope to see you starting a build log soon.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 18, 2022, 10:11 pm 

I teach welding. Hobart 140 is a great little machine that will do just about everything you need for a book frame. Buy gas and avoid flux core unless you're welding outside. While others use them, I would avoid cheaper machines.

PostPosted: October 20, 2022, 1:03 am 

I would do everything I could to get a MIG machine, if you try to start with stick/arc it is extremely difficult by comparison and (generally) not as suited for thinner tubing that a locost is made from.

I would rate a flux core as more useful than an arc welder for locost frame and components, particularly for a beginner.

PostPosted: October 20, 2022, 11:00 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I wanted one unit that could do it all, that was a TIG unit, and it did.

I really don't like "what's best" threads because they're entirely subjective, based upon dozens of variables that the person asking never explains. So you get dozens of opinions based upon our variables...