LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arc Welder?
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 4:33 pm 

I am trying to build a locost for well... locost.. I have never had any experience with different kinds of welders and I have an ARC Welder in my basement. I was just wondering if it was possible to ARC Weld a frame. Or is that bad for the rigidity and stability of the frame. If so I will probably just go try to find a cheap used MIG. Thanks Alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 4:45 pm 

I remember seeing a post from someone a while back, maybe on the YaPoo list, about someone who arc welded their frame. So it can be done, but I would think you would have to be fairly proficient to keep from zapping holes in the tubing. Considering how much time and effort you will spend on the project and how important the welding is, it seems like going with a MIG would be the better alternative unless you are already good with the stick welder. I did some stick welding for my dad several years ago and all I remember was that it was a nuisance to get good weld beads, but I was inexperienced. I welded my frame with a little Craftsman MIG unit with great success.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 5:31 pm 

With cheap flux core migs going so cheap these days, I wouldn't bother with stick welding. You could weld up a chassis with something as basic as this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=55167

Watch the HF sales flyers too. I've seen the above welder as cheap as $90.

FWIW, I use a HF welder and have had no issues with it. I have on that uses gas so it cost a bit more but not much. If you can drop $200-$250 on a welder then get one with gas, the welds come out much cleaner and prettier. (you have to buy a gas bottle and regulator too) If you can only afford to spend $100 or so then get a flux core mig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 9:58 pm 
Amen. Get a MIG setup with gas (if you can spare the extra money needed), and when you're done with the build sell it off and make back part of your investment. You could save a couple bucks and go without the gas, but you'll need to do more cleanup of splatter.

A friend of mine is a professional welder and he's tried the HF MIG welders. They aren't as good as high-end Lincolns and other "brand" name welders, but they aren't anywhere near as expensive either! With a little practice you can make very respectible welds with the cheaper welders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 10:53 pm 

Thanks alot I shall get the gas and gasless one in one unit for a little bit more. I'll opt to may a bit more because I have other projects needing it as well, but thats for later on down the road. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can get some tubing soon, so I can get this beast started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 11:24 pm 

Nexus1155 wrote:
Thanks alot I shall get the gas and gasless one in one unit for a little bit more. I'll opt to may a bit more because I have other projects needing it as well, but thats for later on down the road. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can get some tubing soon, so I can get this beast started.

If you see yourself using it a lot in the future pony up the cash for a 220V MIG.

I bought one about 15 years ago when I first started getting into making stuff and it was an expensive purchase at the time. I don't regret it in the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8, 2007, 11:52 pm 

how about this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55250 it seems decent enough and it syas 230volts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 12:22 am 

Nexus1155 wrote:
how about this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55250 it seems decent enough and it syas 230volts?

Whelp, I don't know HF but I do know Princess Auto up here and it is roughly analogous as far as I can tell.

If you want the tool to last a long time (i.e. outlive you) don't buy the Chinese crap. I'm tired of breaking tools every time I go into the garage. Latest example, needle nose pliers snap one of the jaws off while bending a cotter pin. I'm like, wtf?! Not tool abuse at all.

You can get lucky with some of the Chinese stuff but I'm tired of rolling the dice myself.

$0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 12:54 am 

My HF dual mig has seen me through several projects since I bought it several years ago. I even bought mine on special since it was "factory reconditioned." If you're worried about it, you can buy a one year no questions asked warranty for just a little more.

With most things from HF you are rolling the dice, but I've had nothing but good results from mine. My welds aren't world class, but they git-r-done. There's pics of them around here somewhere.

If you can, check craigslist and other classifieds for a lincoln or miller before you buy. You can't beat a proven product. But if you can't afford one, (like me) don't dispair, the cheap chinese crap will be all you need. That 220V model you linked to will be a good tool for you. If you have questions on setup, don't hesitate to ask. There are some good welders passing through here who can help. Us hacks will try as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 2:45 pm 
spindlefied

can7 wrote:
Whelp, I don't know HF but I do know Princess Auto up here and it is roughly analogous as far as I can tell.

If you want the tool to last a long time (i.e. outlive you) don't buy the Chinese crap. I'm tired of breaking tools every time I go into the garage. Latest example, needle nose pliers snap one of the jaws off while bending a cotter pin. I'm like, wtf?! Not tool abuse at all.

You can get lucky with some of the Chinese stuff but I'm tired of rolling the dice myself.

$0.02

I'll agree with you on Princess Auto's hand tools - they are junk. But for that stuff I go with Craftsman or Mastercraft anyway. I do have a few of them though and to their credit if you break it, they'll replace it. I know that doesn't really help at the exact moment it happens and the swearing commences. But it's a good excuse to roam the Canadian Tire tool department for a replacement and other goodies.

But I have also bought plenty of stuff there over the years (such as my $110.00 mig welder) which has given me plenty of trouble free use. Maybe I just haven't hit the snake eyes yet...

As for the Arc Welder - I learned how to arc weld years ago in high school. Got pretty good at it if I recall. It would probably do alright if you had the right setup. Unfortunately I have no idea what the right setup is. 1/16" think material is pretty thin to be arc welding I would think. The only thing is chipping that damn slag all the time. Then walking around on it, crunching it under your shoes. I'd have to sweep my garage out after every welding session. Would drive me nuts.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 3:00 pm 

I have a HF TIG welder and a Lincoln MIG welder. My MIG i got on sale from ebay for a Buy it Now price of $450. I couldn't pass it up since it was a $600 welder and it was brand new in the box. I use the crap out of it and it's a great tool. My HF TIG was also bought on sale and I use the crap out of it as well. It's never let me down yet. I welded my entire mandrel bent exhaust for my 240Z with it with absolutely no issues. I have made countless other little projects with it as well. I think they were both very good investments. I also own a Miller ARC welder and haven't even plugged it in yet. With the MIG and TIG, I really have no use for it. I bought it becasue I got a great deal on it. If you get a 220V welder make sure you have 220V available in your garage. It should also be at least a 40 AMP circuit with nothing else on it. The cheaper 115V MIGs work great too, just can't use them for thicker welds easily.

As far as using HF tools ompared to Craftsman, Husky, Snap-On, etc. I have a ton of Craftsman and Snap-On tools and use them a lot. However, I recently bought a set of flare wrenches from Craftsman and when I went to use the 10mm wrench to remove the brake line from my 240Z IT DIDN"T FIT! I thought the nut was damaged so I tried a regular 10mm and it fit fine. The "high quality, American made" tool was made inferior. I went to HF and bought a 10mm flare wrench and it fit great. Domesticly made tools aren't anything to be proud of anymore, unfortunately. Also, HF and many other low end retailers have the same lifetime guarantee on hand tools that the high end places do. I would rather spend less and get a tool that will do the job than spend more because of where it's made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 3:18 pm 

Mookie wrote:
I'll agree with you on Princess Auto's hand tools - they are junk. But for that stuff I go with Craftsman or Mastercraft anyway. I do have a few of them though and to their credit if you break it, they'll replace it. I know that doesn't really help at the exact moment it happens and the swearing commences. But it's a good excuse to roam the Canadian Tire tool department for a replacement and other goodies.

Yeah, that's more or less where I am at as well. The big thing for me is that the nearest PA is over an hour away (east end Ottawa). If I break a tool it becomes a special trip since I rarely go right into Ottawa.

I used to do everything Craftsman. Sears is not that big in this area it seems. The only place with a tool section (and a crappy one at that) is also in the east end of Ottawa. The Sears in Guelph used to have a pretty decent tool section but that is way history for me.

I buy Mastercraft now. Canadian Tire is everywhere. There is one within ~20 minutes of where I am and I'm out in the boonies. The tools seem good quality. I recently bought some stubby wrenches - work great in the tight confines of a Jeep XJ (too much engine for the chassis from the factory).

I have some broken Mac tools but the "must buy/replace off a truck" thing is very inconvenient for a home hobbyist I find. AFAIK there is no Mac retailer with a store front in the area. I haven't looked that hard either...

I am half tempted to buy a cheapie PA auto darkening helmet though. I'm wondering if my eyes are something smart to roll the dice with. My DQF helmet is fubar and to replace the components costs the same as a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 3:23 pm 
Another thought. If you are going to have to buy anyhow you might consider a TIG unit. TIG produces arguably better welds and if you get an AC/DC uint then it can be used for both steel and aluminum. If you get TIG don't get one that requires a scratch start and do get a foot pedal. If you are familiar with gas welding then the learning curve shouldn't be too steep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 5:04 pm 
spindlefied

Darth V8r wrote:
I am half tempted to buy a cheapie PA auto darkening helmet though. I'm wondering if my eyes are something smart to roll the dice with. My DQF helmet is fubar and to replace the components costs the same as a new one.

You and I are on the same wavelength my friend. The $68.88 helmet? I was hoping it would have been under the tree a few weeks ago but it was not to be. I was going to buy one today while I was out for lunch but ran out of time. I'm lucky since all this stuff is nearby for me. I have a PA literally a three minute drive from work and Canadian Tire is even closer. And there's two CT's not even five minutes from my house in opposite directions. It's true - they're everywhere.

There are people that swear by those helmets though... I gotta get me one.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9, 2007, 5:06 pm 

Mookie wrote:
There are people that swear by those helmets though... I gotta get me one.

Well, if they aren't swearing at them I guess for $70 I can give one a try.