LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: louver maker
PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 4:04 pm 

I have been looking around for a bead roller that will make louvers. There are many choices but I don't know whether all of them will make louvers; most say just beads.

Anyway I am bringing it up here because a know a lot of you folks have done it (added louvers to the bonnet). I'd rather not spend much on the tool because I doubt I will ever use it again, so who has one that they can sell to me cheap or lend for the cost of shipping?

I remember some talk of the cheap ones and that they need some added muscle to keep from distorting.

So any info you have on this is welcome. I live in the Virginia area so anything within 200 miles is good.

Post subject: Re: louver maker
PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 5:04 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

You can buy louvered panels and rivet them to the hood instead of buying a tool and risking ruining the entire panel - cheaper too.

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 6:40 pm 

Try this link for louvers--

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/louvers.php

Roy

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 11:39 pm 

Louvers can be formed with hand tools by slitting the metal and beating them into a form, even one made of wood. I've seen coverage of this in a book I read some years ago, but have not done it myself.

Or you can consider some much simpler types such as the ones at the URL below. I happen to like them, but they are non-traditional and perhaps not what you want.

Simple louvers URL ==> http://vraptorspeedworks.com/mk-ii-road ... d-louvers/

There are also sheet metal companies who have all the right equipment and will louver your body panels for you.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 11:48 pm 

Thanks royzMG, I may go that way. Still looking for a reasonable punch to make my own though.

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 12:28 am 

Here's a low tech option that produces a nice looking result…be sure to watch through the completion of the first louver. The basic methodology could be adapted to different shapes by substituting for the piece of pipe and modifying the shape of the jig. Best of all, no tools to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPZUUPPTFk

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 9:41 am 

I looked at the cost of a louver die, to much for a one time use. A few builders even made there louver die. [ check out Ewhen's site for a die made from a chisel ] But if you look around for a local hot rod shop, there is a good chance that they can can do it. Get a price first. I was quote as high as $20 per louver and as low as $1 per louver. If you go that route you need to layout the louver pattern on the inside surface of the hood. Dave W

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 10:35 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Here's a low tech option that produces a nice looking result…be sure to watch through the completion of the first louver. The basic methodology could be adapted to different shapes by substituting for the piece of pipe and modifying the shape of the jig. Best of all, no tools to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIPZUUPPTFk

Nice vid, definitely Locost, Bill. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 1:01 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Louvers can be formed with hand tools by slitting the metal and beating them into a form, even one made of wood. I've seen coverage of this in a book I read some years ago, but have not done it myself.

Or you can consider some much simpler types such as the ones at the URL below. I happen to like them, but they are non-traditional and perhaps not what you want.

Simple louvers URL ==> http://vraptorspeedworks.com/mk-ii-road ... d-louvers/

There are also sheet metal companies who have all the right equipment and will louver your body panels for you.

Cheers,

great link Lonnie :wink: (thanks for posting it :cheers: )

i`m not a big fan of traditional stamped lovers (and the somewhat questionable effect of the smallish openings for extracting heat)
but imho this style is very sexy 8) :

i may copy that :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 1:44 pm 

Rapt, check with local hot rod shops. We were looking to have some louvers added to a turbo car hood to get reduce under hood temp. We were is the same situation as you, but we contacted some local Hot Rod shops, we found one that charger $1.50 per punch. He had a huge vintage machine, he did a great job perfectly straight and even, he actually did it while we waited. I think we had 10 punches per side for a cost of $30.00.

Graham

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 2:16 pm 

Yes Graham that is what I will do first. It seems like the best way; somebody has to be within a couple hundred miles of here.

I have at least about 100 louvers to make and I don't think I have the patience to bang them all out with a hammer - great vid tho showing how it is done. Thanks for all your help; it makes the job so much easier.

PostPosted: February 9, 2014, 9:58 pm 

If you have a bead roller this could be a good solution You have 100 louvers to punch and if you could find some one to punch them I'm sure the cost would be much greater than the cost of the die.

http://www.lowbucktools.com/louver.html

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 3:42 pm 

Here is an update on the latest louver-making news.

I have found two shops that have die rollers, one is a manual crank operated, and the other is beautifully crafted set with a 1 HP motor. The guy is a genius when it comes to metal work. But he is way cautious when it comes to cutting louvers with that machine because of the problem of stopping the action at a given point. There is no talking him into doing something he isn't comfortable with, and I wouldn't try.

He has a nice punch that cuts the louvers at one whack each, which is what he wants to use. Now I have to find a 6 inch long set of cutters to fit his machine. He has 2 and 3 inch only and that is not long enough for the part.

I have asked the guy in UK about it because he does them to order, and a lot cheaper than the usual tool guy.

I'll let you know what transpires. Please let me know if you are aware of any available louver dies over 4 inches in length.

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 5:28 pm 

I've gone back-and-forth with this louver project, but now I think I have a solution.

There is a guy in California who does custom louver work; his biggest die set is 5" and his rates are not bad at all. I floundered for a few weeks figuring how much area I needed open, and where to put it.

Since the engine is on one side, I can perforate one half of the bonnet only, and close off the other half for storage etc. So that is what I'm going to do. Never mind the lack of symmetry. The right side has three rows of 5" louvers 27 inches long, two rows on top and one on the side. And he only has one to do and ship.

The incoming air will come in the front grill, and be guided over the engine with some ducts, yet to be designed.

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 10:33 pm 

Do you feel like sharing his contact information or website?

Cheers,