LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2015, 11:12 am 

I had problems getting my head where it needed to be while doing the final weld-up of my chassis. I just found out about this setup from Miller and it looks like it would be a big help. I don't think I'd use the head and neck wrap much, though. I don't weld for long durations.

It's pricey @ $247 full retail, but I really like the idea. With just a standard peckerwood beanie to protect your head and hair, I think it would be good. Have any of you used them yet?

Miller welding "goggles" ==> http://www.millerwelds.com/products/wel ... darkening/

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 19, 2015, 11:48 am 

Quote:
With just a standard peckerwood beanie
Would that p-w beanie be flame retardant? or tight enough of a weave to prevent splatter from getting through? I could easily see a cause for concern. based on your link, it comes with the full head shield.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 19, 2015, 12:43 pm 

Good post Lonnie. I had been thinking along those lines too, when I was welding the frame. Especially the tunnel; I had to put the helmet in first, then wiggle my head through the frame into the helmet, and then try to see. :BH:
I think for our kind of welding, I would have gone with this set up before I bought a helmet. Having said that, I'll try one of the cheaper versions, especially since I'm now nearly done. Also, one could get a Nomex racing balaclava for spatter protection.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 19, 2015, 2:11 pm 

Note that the info says "Goggles feature shades 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 (light state shade 3)". I mostly use Shade 10.25 on my dial-a-shade helmet (if the dial is accurate) so could find the few even numbers limit in on these goggles, but I like the idea of the smaller set up.

PostPosted: March 23, 2015, 10:08 am 

I think our Locost site may have a database problem. I wrote a reply to Chuck's response above and it posted here just fine. However, the next day, I found it was missing from this thread. OK, I thought, someone did a restore of the database and it got dropped because it occurred after the restore point. Not all that unusual.

This morning, I found the photo I posted in that same response to Chuck embedded in a build thread I had viewed recently, but had never posted to. Hmmm, I wonder where the text of my post to this thread ended up? I don't know what to do with that information other than post this caution.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 10:37 am 

Here is my version. The goggles are auto darkening, but only one setting; DIN 11. The Mig light is the best accessory I can think of; better than my helmet mounted light. The balaclava, is only cotton, not Nomex. But in a pinch it's better than nothing. I wouldn't want to weld with this get-up for any extended time, but for these hard to reach or see tacks, works like a charm. Wished I had thought of it when I was crawling inside the frame, making the tunnel. :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 2:27 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
The Mig light is the best accessory I can think of; better than my helmet mounted light.
Thanks for the tip on the light. Just what I need for those dark places. Summit has them on sale for $24. Think I'll order one.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:04 pm 

Quote:
mgkluft wrote:
The Mig light is the best accessory I can think of; better than my helmet mounted light.

seattletom wrote"
Thanks for the tip on the light. Just what I need for those dark places. Summit has them on sale for $24. Think I'll order one.

I've not seen those before. They look pretty good. Might be a good Locost (DIY) project to adapt one of those many free HF LED flashlights I have laying around. HMMmm..... Anybody willing to take a stab at it? First thing that came to my mind was a women's spring hair clamp. Or maybe one of those large paper clamp thingies?

Duct tape would be a no brainer!

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 8:34 pm 

Tom,
for $ 24 you can't go wrong.
Chuck,
at that price, it is even hard to DIY. It has a couple of features that are surprising, and quite well thought out. The button is large and easy to turn on. Thick gloves and all. Furthermore, it has a 30 min auto shut-off. Not that I ever would forget to turn off a flash light. Also, the bracket is not really a bracket. It is made of rubber, and the light kinda wiggles around. First I thought, how cheesy. But after using it, it makes sense. If you are in a tight spot, and the light isn't quite where you'd want it, you can manipulate it with your steadying hand and get it to be just right.
As I said, I wished I had found it sooner.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 10:51 pm 

Martin, where did you buy the Mig Light? I don't see it on the Princess Auto website and they carry just about everything that I need in life except for chocolate milk.

Bill

PostPosted: May 3, 2015, 8:17 am 

Quote:
Tom,
for $ 24 you can't go wrong.
Chuck,
at that price, it is even hard to DIY.

Hey Martin, 24 bucks is 24 bucks. It is 2 nights at the movies for me and my wife (with snacks), or a whole bunch of "senior coffees" at McD's. or my entry fee for the annual British Car Festival. On the other hand, it is less than half a tank of Argon/CO2 mix, so there is that.

But really, a few inches of duct tape and a free HF LED flashlight might be a good way to test how well a light performs before "paying up" for the real thing. All it takes is a minute or two. You can test it out faster than you can press "Buy it Now" on eBay. Or it might even be used until your shiny new light shows up in the mail.

PostPosted: May 3, 2015, 9:15 am 

Bill,
I got it off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Steck-23240-Mig- ... 5d4cd5fdb7
In my case, I get a lot of the odd ball stuff off Ebay. Although my local NAPA is very helpful, and a KMS distributor, the next Princess Auto is 3 hrs away.
Chuck,
you are quite right. A trial run couldn't hurt. And for 24 bucks, my Dearest and I, could have had two chai lattes and a small tip for the talented barista. Nah, who am I kidding. I like coffee and a waitress. More tools, please. :twisted:

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 3, 2015, 9:54 am 

My peepers are not what they used to be and although I dont need specs yet I have found the magnifying welding lens a massive help. I have also found it magnifies to the point where you really dont need to have your head jammed into these tight spaces to see what you are doing. I would highly recommend one even if your eyes are good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28126055 ... 108&ff19=0

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: May 4, 2015, 7:34 am 

bob wrote:
My peepers are not what they used to be and although I dont need specs yet I have found the magnifying welding lens a massive help. I have also found it magnifies to the point where you really dont need to have your head jammed into these tight spaces to see what you are doing. I would highly recommend one even if your eyes are good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28126055 ... 108&ff19=0

Bob

Reminds me of a Marilyn Monroe line from a movie, "I don't really wear glasses. I only use them to see".

Bill