LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this welder for real?
PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 9:03 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIG-WELDER-PRI ... SwLfNer-5b

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 10:23 pm 

I would say "buyer be ware". The Primeweld site shows them listing at $799, and not currently available. If it is real, it would be a killer deal.

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 10:26 pm 

AND free shipping too!
Strait from China, buy two and get a side of Wuhan Flu at no extra charge.

Either a SCAM, stolen, or major error in the listing.

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 10:32 pm 

Not a snowball's chance!

Somebody stole his account or the entire seller is a spoof. He sold nothing in the last 6 months/ Everything he sold before that was a specific tee shirt. Now he is selling all kinds of welders and bike motors? Searching around it appears that a Primeweld TIG225x sells for $775.

I know that things shipped from China get much better shipping prices than we get to ship to China. As an example, yesterday I shipped a <2# package to a friend in China. It cost me $58 from the USPS.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 10:43 pm 

Heck, according to his listing, he has sold 131 of these. WTF? And a bunch of his other listings. Somebody is making an eBay killing, before he disappears into cyber hiding.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 12:03 am 

Just for fun I found a review for a $60 (shipped) brand new stick welder. Well, it ended up being more like a rather dangerous mostly assembled kit that was missing some pieces, but it ultimately ended up actually laying some shockingly decent welds. However, even taking that into account and assuming that this is a knock-off of a counterfeit, this listing (and the other similarly priced listings with similar characteristics) still SCREAMS scam. Looks like either a dummy account, or a hacked account...And yet, it's so cheap, it still almost makes you want to make the gamble (donation) just to find out.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I'm going to upgrade my (rarely used) ebay account security right about...Now.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 7:31 am 

I just bought a plasma cutter from the same seller for $20. I expect the order to be cancelled and I'll probably forget about it because it's not due to arrive until July.

But, for $20, it will probably be more interesting than playing the lottery and I have a better chance of winning something.

Edit: Well, I gave it some more thought and requested my order be cancelled. I've not purchased direct from China before and it appears there can be additional charges (including customs) beyond the purchase price and shipping. I suspect this may be why the product is so cheap and I'm not sure if I'd have the option to decline further charges. Just seems too risky once I factored that in. Really not worried so much about the money as I am about the time that would be involved in sorting everything out. I don't need more complication in life right now. Plus, I'm rethinking whether purchasing from China is worth it no matter how cheap the price.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 8:42 am 

chrisser,

I think that is where the seller plans to make money with this listing. Or he is looking at "burning" a lot of folks on a one time "all-or-nothing" and then disappear into the China nite!

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 8:57 am 

I was willing to risk the $20, but I'm not willing to lose some undefined sum in the future.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 10:08 am 

I suspect that he will just disappear. I believe that the listings are covered under the eBay money back guarantee:

Quote:
eBay Money Back Guarantee means you're protected if the item you ordered didn't arrive, is faulty or damaged, or doesn't match the listing. You'll get your money back.

IF the seller ships, and there were any US customs charges they would not benefit him in any way. However, From https://customsdutyfree.com/united-stat ... on-method/:

Quote:
if product value is less than US$800 then import is duty free(Excluding Liqueur and Tobacco

It looks like you would be protected if he doesn't ship. In the remote possibility where he does ship (very unlikely IMO) no import duty would be required. The only thing is, are you willing to wait a couple of months and go thru the hoops to get your money back? If you do choose to purchase, you would not be alone but with hundreds of other buyers. Heck, I've always wanted a plasma cutter. I may risk the time and a few bucks myself.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:03 am 

I think the other thing to consider is that by purchasing this, are you not providing your name, address and phone number to a person or persons who are, shall we say, less than desirable people?

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:42 am 

If you do decide to take the $20 gamble, and IF you do actually receive something resembling the device you ordered, please take great caution before using it. On the $60 stick welder, which is 3x more expensive for something that should be less expensive, there was nothing insulating the internals from the case. Just sitting at idle, the case was live with 56v. :shock:

Even if it is a curiosity, and seems like a relatively cheap gamble, it unfortunately goes beyond that for me. Every scenario I have been able to come up with, from not receiving anything to getting exactly what is pictured and described, puts me as a willing participant in something with moral implications beyond my comfort zone.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on May 7, 2020, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 12:06 pm 

Good point. And on that note here's a great talk about a scam that worked kind of like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT2oAzTcvU

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 12:32 pm 

In general:

It is true that my name and address is available to any eBay seller that I purchase from. My name and address are public knowledge. It doesn't matter if a eBay seller or non-seller is in the USA or China, they can find it on the internet. If they couldn't find it and still wanted it, they could hack into the eBay database without me having to purchase from a Chinese seller. It really doesn't concern me at all. I have purchased many items on eBay that were sold by Chinese sellers and shipped from China, Hong Kong, and Malaysia over the years. I find them as reputable as any other. I have never has any issues arising from it. YMMV. I have sold a few items on eBay. I do not know of any way to find out a buyer's email. It is not available to the seller AFAIK.

I particular, I'm pretty certain that the seller for these items is not after my personal info.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 1:07 pm 
Always Moore!

Its your standard ponzi scheme. Someone will get a welder - maybe a few people. The rest won't.

With that said I gave it a shot. I'm assuming it'll end with me filing a claim with eBay but what the heck.