LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 26, 2021, 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 24, 2005, 4:41 pm 
How far have any of you lowered the engine to the point the sump (oil pan) extends below the frame rails very far? I'm test fitting the engine now and it seems okay at about 1.5" below the rails. I'd probably be putting some type of scrub guard there if I go this route.

If I raise the engine so the sump is right at the frame rail level I have to move the engine forward, or modify the top rail to keep the engine set back farther. Otherwise the engine has to move forward.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2005, 7:56 pm 
I'll try and get more pictures for you of how low my engine sits. it's about 1.5" bellow the frame. It sits about as far rearward as yours does. Before the end of my build I am going to rebuild my engine, and at the same time I am going to modify the sump to hold the same amount of fluid, but not extend as far down.

Also what are you doing for engine mounts, the front mount or sid mounts, if you are looking to do side mounts, The way I did it is by using chevy trans mounts, and I bolted my engine mounts to them, pic bellow. the one on the right bolts below the oil pan, and the one on the left bolts to the side of the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25, 2005, 3:05 am 

1.5" below the rail sounds about right to me ... I have the same ... but then I'm using a 4AGE twincam and that's just how it sits with the motor as far back in the frame as I could get it without some serious surgery. Doing this put the shifter right where my hand falls without an extension.

I'll be watching the oil pressure and if I have to baffle the oil pan I'll probably shorten it at the same time ... we'll see ...

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25, 2005, 7:01 am 
probably not the most correct way or reason to place the engine where it sits, but I dropped my seat in, and had a good idea where, my steering wheel was, and I placed the shifter to match my hand where it naturally fell

Post subject: Sump Clearance
PostPosted: January 1, 2006, 11:41 am 
Locostering Legend

The bottom of my sump extends 2" below the frame. The engine is tall to begin with (1.8L BMW). With my lower profile race wheels/tires, the clearance is 3 to 3 1/2 ". There is no skid rail/pan. I have smacked it hard several times, grinding the drain plug until it leaked and also pushed the pan closer toward the pump intake. The intake screen is on the end of an aluminum casting. Luckily, it was not damaged and I repaired the pan prior to starvation damage. Oil light was on for 10-15 seconds after a cold start.

I strongly recommend incorporating a skid rail into your frame design if your sump extends significantly below the frame and you plan on running low clearance. Make it removable to allow engine maintenance/removal.

Post subject: Re: Sump Clearance
PostPosted: January 1, 2006, 12:17 pm 
JonW wrote:
I strongly recommend incorporating a skid rail into your frame design if your sump extends significantly below the frame and you plan on running low clearance. Make it removable to allow engine maintenance/removal.

Yep, I've already planned it out in my head. It'll be fairly beefy as I'm paranoid about these kinda things. I've taken a hard ride off at summit point before hitting many large bolders and breaking and bending things.. :-/

dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2006, 12:23 pm 
yup, came back to the paddock with grass and stuff hanging out from under the car, the spoiler looking a little worse for the wear... Glad I never did that... :-)

FWIW, I don't like the idea of the sump extending below the chassis. It means you have to lift the chassis higher than you would otherwise need to for ground clearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2006, 7:17 pm 
a lil hard to tell in this pic since the engine is tilted, but the crossmember on my frame is actually lowered to be the same height as my oil pan, Which is about 1" lower then the rest of the frame. Just make sure that if you do this, you put something on front of the frame lower then the sump to act as a feeler so you hit that first and not the oilpan.