LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 10:32 am 

Ha! The proportions do look silly with the little wheels/tires. :D

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 11:57 am 

Laminar wrote:
Ha! The proportions do look silly with the little wheels/tires. :D

I appreciate that. Last night I showed the two tire sizes to a friend of mine who is not a car person, and she was like "Uh, what's different?" I dug through more tire sizes last night, and I'm excited about some narrower options with similar diameters, need to do some modelling.

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 1:39 pm 

215/65-17 tires, 17x7" wheels. 78% of the length x width x height of the previous 245/50-20 tires.
Attachment:
ebucket.85.jpg

Attachment:
ebucket.85.0.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 1:40 pm 

Yeah, that took me an hour and a half.

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 3:02 pm 

The render with the 17s doesn't look bad at all.
Should be lots of tire options for 18s as well.

Both would be a lot less weight at the corners, over the 20s.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: October 26, 2021, 5:52 pm 

Darxus wrote:
78% of the length x width x height of the previous tires.
So far you've provided tire equations of width x diameter and length x width x height, which is just diameter x width x diameter... or width x diameter^2. Where did you get these formulas and what do you think they are telling you?

In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya - "I do not think it means what you think it means."

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 11:39 am 

JAMADOR wrote:
The render with the 17s doesn't look bad at all.
Should be lots of tire options for 18s as well.

Both would be a lot less weight at the corners, over the 20s.

Thanks. I don't know. I just finished 360 video loops (version 85): https://www.eternalmachinery.com/ecar/

It occurred to me to look up Ford Model A tires, then hot rod tires, and Coker Tire definitely has the shapes I think I want. But they have inner tubes, and might be garbage? For example, 30" diameter, 7" wide, 18" wheels: https://www.cokertire.com/tires/600-650 ... adial.html
It's been real tough to dig through them, because I can't search by any of the dimensions I care about. But they do seem to be where all the tires that I guess inspired my taste, come from.

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 11:43 am 

Driven5 wrote:
So far you've provided tire equations of width x diameter and length x width x height, which is just diameter x width x diameter... or width x diameter^2. Where did you get these formulas and what do you think they are telling you?

In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya - "I do not think it means what you think it means."

I think it's a decent approximation of tire + wheel weight, when I haven't even decided on tire dimensions, and don't know which tires and wheels I'll use. I mention them because I am confident that the much smaller Miata tires would function better on such a light car, so I'm trying to find something smaller / lighter, that I still like the look of, to reduce unsprung rotating mass.

PostPosted: October 27, 2021, 1:13 pm 

None of these tires even list a weight.

I think I might go with the Coker tires. I'm interested in lighter weight to improve handling, but I'm also interested in reducing traction, to be able to slide around a little bit.

PostPosted: October 28, 2021, 9:31 am 

Ahhh, I could make this thing unibody.

Has there ever been a shape better suited to DIY unibody? Everywhere there's square tube, there's sheet metal along it. I could replace the tube and body with ~inch thick box section. Capped at the firewalls (both ends of the cabin) for triangulation. And do the same with the firewalls.

I was just staring at the thing, as I have many many times, and wondering again if I should weld the body to the frame, because I could. And I first thought, what if I just get rid of the frame, and use the body as the entire structure? Then, box section occurred to me.

Utter madness, yes. But glorious madness.

Right?

PostPosted: October 28, 2021, 9:46 am 

Has anyone in the history of the world ever built a DIY unibody?

PostPosted: October 28, 2021, 11:23 am 

I'd be curious the weight difference between tube frame & skin vs boxed steel. In my head, the 'unibody' sounds like it'd be a decent weight increase.

RE: Tires, maybe look at All Season instead of Summer tires if you want a bit less grip. Probably longer tire life that way as well. Like I'd mentioned before, the Pilot Sport AS3+ we have on our SUV are a 'Ultra High Perf AS' tire & have been excellent for our ~4400lb SUV.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: October 30, 2021, 9:01 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
I'd be curious the weight difference between tube frame & skin vs boxed steel. In my head, the 'unibody' sounds like it'd be a decent weight increase.

RE: Tires, maybe look at All Season instead of Summer tires if you want a bit less grip. Probably longer tire life that way as well. Like I'd mentioned before, the Pilot Sport AS3+ we have on our SUV are a 'Ultra High Perf AS' tire & have been excellent for our ~4400lb SUV.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I could make most of the body sections a single sheet, then weld triangular sections at the edges. But that would be way more work, for insignificant benefit. Damn. Thanks.

Yup, thanks.

PostPosted: October 31, 2021, 7:47 pm 

Attachment:
ebucket.92.3062.jpg
Attachment:
ebucket.92.713.jpg

I've been spending a lot of time digging through available tires and wheels. Some of that was hot rod style stuff, which seems to tend to come from Coker tires. And I got into hot rod style steel wheels with dog dish center caps (again), which is roughly modeled here. It's tempting to get whitewall tires, but I don't see myself keeping them clean enough.

Steel wheels have the convenient advantage of fixing my problem of wanting huge brakes for aesthetics, but... being very impractical. And without caring about caliper orientation, maybe I can use stock Mustang hub carriers / spindles / knuckles / uprights, whatever they're called. Akerman angle would be off, longer wheelbase.

This is the first time in a long time I've attempted to model an accurate track. 2015+ (sixth gen / S550) Mustang diff, axles, hubs = 62.5" wide.

I realized that for the 14cm = 5.5" clearance, I need 20" wheels for it to roll with the tires off, which I think is a titling requirement, which I think is a fine idea. For aesthetics I want ~30" diameter tires. The narrowest tires I can find for that (that aren't too narrow, from Coker) are these 235/50-20. The 20" steel wheels I can find are 8" wide, 3.75" backspacing. Then I added the 3cm spacers. I'm assuming that would be significantly cheaper than custom lengthened axles. 0.9" clearance on wheels without tires.

Just an example of the steely aesthetic:
Attachment:
March-Meet-2016-106-copy1-1200x800.jpg

Edit: My offset math was wrong, corrected in the next version that looks the same.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 1, 2021, 12:38 am 

Hah, I could use bolt pattern adapters, and OEM Dodge Ram 20x8" steel wheels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next