LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 2, 2022, 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: November 16, 2022, 7:35 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

What are the rules? If there won't be bumpers, I'd shorten the horns to fit inside the body. Could always extend the bumper tabs inside versus the horns sticking out. These rails are much wider than a jeep as is the track.
If there will be bumpers, once you decide on a design, trim the skin back that will be completely hidden by the bumper. I'm thinking 2 inch pipe or 2x3 14ga with slant cut ends with the top one inch vertical cut and boxed.
If there will be fenders hiding the inner fender, I'd leave it as long as practical. Also leave a 1/2 inch on the straight edges to bend a flange to make it more rigid.
The spare, tag and lights will completely fill the back panel. You might look at a suzuki vitara spare hard cover.
Here is an old pic of my dj for comparison to "normal".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frame L x cockpit W x eng bay HT (w/o hood/bonnet/cowl)
Lotus Super Seven: 115 (no spare) x39x7.25
Tiger Avon: 114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion (Book): 114x42x11
Gibbs Haynes: 122x42x14
Voo Doo: 113x44x14
McSorley “442”122x46x14
Collins “241” 127x46x12

PostPosted: November 17, 2022, 12:56 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
What are the rules? If there won't be bumpers, I'd shorten the horns to fit inside the body. Could always extend the bumper tabs inside versus the horns sticking out. These rails are much wider than a jeep as is the track.
If there will be bumpers, once you decide on a design, trim the skin back that will be completely hidden by the bumper. I'm thinking 2 inch pipe or 2x3 14ga with slant cut ends with the top one inch vertical cut and boxed.
If there will be fenders hiding the inner fender, I'd leave it as long as practical. Also leave a 1/2 inch on the straight edges to bend a flange to make it more rigid.
The spare, tag and lights will completely fill the back panel. You might look at a suzuki vitara spare hard cover.
Here is an old pic of my dj for comparison to "normal".

Thanks mate! I think I'll be going for a bumper like you describe, angled ends similar to old MB Jeeps. I can probably shorten the chassis a little more, it used to be ~300mm longer, but with a bumper it probably doesn't matter. I want to use a bumper so I can put a tow hitch tied back to the main rear crossmember.

Fair point on leaving the rear panel longer, it will be covered by the bumper and all the ancillaries on the back anyway.

Unfortunately I don't really have the tools to make a neat 90 degree fold along the panels and I haven't left the panels long enough to do so :( but I am planning on making a steel 20x20 square tube frame that follows along the top of the body panels to hopefully stiffen it all up. I think it will also look better and closer to how the originals had that fully folded over top edge.

I wish I had an enclosed body like that pic, but by having the car open I can escape all our regulations regarding windscreens, demisters, wipers, anti intrusion door bars, etc. which makes it much cheaper to get on the road.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7