LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: March 21, 2023, 4:18 pm 

I got a temp license in Jan [IIRC] no problem. Did they stop doing those?

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 21, 2023, 5:01 pm 

It was stopped last I remember, 2 month trial or yearly subs only for the full version with PATS key stuff.
If I remember right there was an issue with shady cable sellers saying "Here's your lifetime license you paid for with the cable!" and giving out a bogus key.

The PATS stuff saved my bacon on the Mazdas.

PostPosted: March 21, 2023, 5:21 pm 

Gotcha, I use a Bluetooth ELMs adapter. Gives an error on the newer cars, but still does the little cosmetic changes I wanted to do.
I think my trial license expired last month.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: May 15, 2023, 3:23 am 

I had most of the afternoon to myself so crossed a few things off on build list

This is the Toyota Soarer throttle pedal assembly

I cut off some extraneous plastic from the mount

Then made a simple bracket to bolt on the pedal assembly to the body frame

Then I added a 25x25x2.4 bar down the middle of the body frame and built the Soarer shifter mounts out from there

I may tie that overhanging angle iron bracket back to the crossmember, but it's just a shifter so it has next to no load on it.

Lastly I made a bracket to attach the Soarer handbrake

Just a piece of angle iron between the crossmembers, but it's at a slight angle to offset the angle built into the Soarer handbrake bracket. This way the donor car handbrake cables should be easier to adapt

They feel really good from the drivers seat!

PostPosted: May 15, 2023, 6:37 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I bet. I like those seats. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 21, 2023, 3:03 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I bet. I like those seats. :cheers:

Thanks mate, I'm not quite yet willing to admit how long I sat in the seat pretending to drive it but... it was fun :lol:

I managed to get to the steel shop on one of the last days of my parental leave.

Picked up some 20x20x1.6 SHS to complete the body frame and some 50x6 flat bar to make the tube bender, and it seems like a pretty good size to just have around for brackets and such for the hot rod.

I also modified the shift linkage to fit in the new chassis.

It looks low but really it's much higher up than the lowest point of the gearbox so I'm not worried about it catching on anything. I've also misplaced the rubber bush which goes at the shifter end so I'll need to source a replacement somewhere.

Finally just a bit of an overview of how the garage is looking at this point

I'd love to figure out a solution for storing full 1200x2400 sheets of timber, I think at the moment my leading idea is to slide them along the wall behind the lathe but it's pretty cumbersome to get them out. Potentially I'll move the lathe out from the wall slightly to give more space.

PostPosted: May 21, 2023, 9:06 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Do you have a plasma cutter? Here is an option or you can first cut away whatever parts of the blue box interfere with a more direct shift linkage, then address or you may be able to leave it. New 15mm tube for the linkage would be easier and just reuse the ends so the toyota bushes will fit. More work and expense would be to use a short morse cable.

If the trans cooler line is also in the way with the odd bend around the switch, part stores ususally stock new lines with the fittings installed in various lengths to be bent by hand. The line does not need to kick up, and can go down and out along the pan rail.

You could actually remove the vertical support and crossmember/trans mount for a removable but that can be down the road if you want to tackle it. I find myself going back to things I did years ago and redesigning.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 28, 2023, 3:29 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Do you have a plasma cutter? Here is an option or you can first cut away whatever parts of the blue box interfere with a more direct shift linkage, then address or you may be able to leave it. New 15mm tube for the linkage would be easier and just reuse the ends so the toyota bushes will fit. More work and expense would be to use a short morse cable.

If the trans cooler line is also in the way with the odd bend around the switch, part stores ususally stock new lines with the fittings installed in various lengths to be bent by hand. The line does not need to kick up, and can go down and out along the pan rail.

You could actually remove the vertical support and crossmember/trans mount for a removable but that can be down the road if you want to tackle it. I find myself going back to things I did years ago and redesigning.

Thanks mate, I did originally want to run the shifter rod exactly as you've shown but didn't want to cut anything away. A removable trans mount is a very good idea which I'd love to put in at some time in the future... maybe when it gets manual converted :lol: For now the shift rod clears everything and looks like it should work in a pinch.

Back in... DECEMBER!? Wow, just checked the date on the picture, didn't know it was that long ago... Anyway, I created two of these monstrosities.

I finally had some time to weld them up

One has come out at 90 degrees but the other shrank down to maybe 88, I'll have to see if I can bash it back a little, or if a bit more grinding of the inside of the bend releases some of the tension and it opens back up.

For future tight bends I'll try to make them from 4 pieces of 1.6mm sheet steel, I think this method is more suited to a large radius bend where there are fewer cuts.

PostPosted: May 29, 2023, 1:13 am 

Another couple of bars for the top rail finished

PostPosted: June 13, 2023, 1:10 am 

I had another few hours on Monday to move along with the top rail around the body frame. I decided to do the 2 remaining bends using the same technique, just because I don't currently have any 1.6 sheet metal to fabricate them from scratch.

I managed to get one side fully welded and ground down and the other side ready for grinding. On the first one I put way too many slits in the tube to get the required radius so it was way more work; the second one I used 2/3rd the amount of cuts which was closer to ideal so finishing that one off should be quicker.

Once the top rail is done I'll be moving on to either the front guards or the bender for the roll hoop.

PostPosted: June 18, 2023, 6:55 pm 

Had a bit of a milestone this weekend - I've cut out my first aluminium part on my CNC router

The grill for the car came out absolutely perfect and gives me the confidence to design more parts from aluminium. The working volume is around 800x700x200 which should allow me to make many cool auto parts including adapter plates, intake manifolds, and basically any billet parts which don't require a 4th axis (to be added later).

I don't have a sheet metal bender so hammered the top and bottom lips over a piece of thick angle iron.

There is also a little flange either side of the slats which I'll have to bend down to give them more rigidity.

Next I welded up a simple frame to support the grill

Next up I'll be making the lower mounts for the grill and intercooler, then a pair of aluminium angle struts going from the body frame to the top of the grill, then finally the top radiator and intercooler mounts coming off those pieces.

Once that's done I think I'll try to put together the front guards to really start to make it look like a Jeep.

PostPosted: June 19, 2023, 12:54 am 

The grill looks great. Hesitating on pulling the trigger on a cnc mill, this definitely adds a check to the right box.

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: June 19, 2023, 6:23 am 

Excellent job, really looks the business. A lot more satisfying than buying from a laser cut shop. Well done, you are on a roll.

PostPosted: June 25, 2023, 6:43 pm 

kabuku6 wrote:
The grill looks great. Hesitating on pulling the trigger on a cnc mill, this definitely adds a check to the right box.

Keep up the good work!

Kinetic Research wrote:
Excellent job, really looks the business. A lot more satisfying than buying from a laser cut shop. Well done, you are on a roll.

Thanks guys! I really feel like the car is starting to come together. The list of things left to do is still long but none of what's left looks particularly difficult, and I am churning through it at a pretty good pace.

I had some time on Sunday to work on the car so I wheeled it outside to clean up the garage a bit

I reinforced the radiator mounts with some 3mm sheet and added some angle iron extending out to the front crossmember to mount the intercooler and the grill

I still need to trim the 3mm plate once it's fully welded to maximise airflow into the radiator. Next up I put a couple of holes in the angle to mount the intercooler.

ImageIMG_20230625_144813 by temp temp, on Flickr

These angle pieces will make the lower grill mounts very simple, the plan is to make the them slotted so I can tilt the whole grill to get the correct headlight angle. I was going to use headlight buckets with adjuster screws in them but after purchasing the lights and the buckets they do not want to play well together, so I'm planning on directly mounting the headlights to the grill and tilting the grill to align them... Hopefully it ends up more or less vertical, but if not I can always add some sort of headlight adjuster later down the track.

PostPosted: June 26, 2023, 6:59 pm 

Finished up the lower grill mounts yesterday after work

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next