LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: March 1, 2014, 6:56 pm 

I think it looks better with the front hoop. Since you're not going for a true replica, you might as well go with what feels best for you.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 8:26 am 

the cage looks fine, though the tires look gigantic, got a bit of "Farmall" in there, to my eye. I like the swept grille bars.

I still think you're going to regret having the exhaust in the cockpit. remember, its going to heat up all the sheet metal around it, which is right next to you...just sayin'.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 12:03 pm 

this roll hoop thing, if you feel the need to have a roll cage to protect you in an accident, then you should wear a hard hat all the time just in case a brick falls off a chimney and lands on you.

it is, i know personal preference but if someone gave you a 30's mercedes for free with no roll over protection but stipulated that you could not fit any, would you say "no thanks" or "i'm not driving that, it's unsafe", i can assure you that i would take the car and be happy to drive it.

if you need this type of protection, then buy an armoured car or lean how to drive safely because even with a roll cage there are so many other areas where the protection is non existant that you are really no safer than without.

do you need roll bars on a motorcycle or a go kart, well some might but then their driving skills may need improving more than accident protection, note i said protection and not prevention.

if everone had rollover bars of some kind it would, in my opinion, save less lives than banning cell phones and any form of touch screen in cars, the tactility of a knob is easy to feel and does not require looking away from the road or making penalties for intoxicated driving as strict as in europe which is an instant ban of a year for the first offence and loss of driving license for life for three offences.

my son was breathalised the morning after when he returned to the pub the next day to collect his car, one year ban and 1000 pounds fine, he doesn't drink any more.

if you feel that because of your driving skills and exeeding the limit as far as your vehicle is conserned, you are going to put yourself in a position that you will need the limited protection such devices provide, then you need to build a different type of car.

most collisions are front enders, i know this because i worked in the crash repair field for many years, strangely, there were not the same amount of rear enders as front, most of these are caused by 1, driving too close to the car in front and 2, distraction of some kind, not speed, even in a competition environment, stareing at the rear of the car in front of you will probably result in hitting it, if you are going off the track, and there is one tree, if you look at it then the chances of hitting it go up, look for the space around the car in front or the space around the tree, many novice racers suffer from being hypnotized by rear of the car in front.

in my opinion!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 12:18 pm 

I agree with John. I'm kind of a "number's up" guy. You can't protect yourself from everything. I have a roll bar on my car as much for looks as safety. I don't plan to ever use it. It doesn't make me feel safe, and neither would a full cage. What makes me feel safe is paying attention to everyone and everything around me.

For competition, absolutely. You take chances in a race you'd never take on the street or even a track day.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 4:53 pm 

again, thank you all for your opinions ... i highly appreciate it 8)

... everything but the Farmall comment :x .... just kidding :lol:

John

oh, believe me; i`m not a "safety nazi" and i absolutely agree with your opinion that safety starts in your own head first.

this will be a pure "drivers" toy; no cell phone, no stereo, no gadgets, ... nothing to distract me
but the more i get into this project the more i`m thinking that it will be just as much fun to drive off the road as on it.

i`m a "Duner" at heart... i guess if you get infected with the sand addiction you just cant get rid of it anymore.

this is what i`m talking about:

had to google for a pic :roll: i guess i need to dig out some of my own "duning" action pics again

as i mentioned before i used to build long travel sand/desert cars for a living and spend a lot of time in the dunes.
i personally never liked the average tail-heavy rear engine sandrails :ack: ... i always prefered excellent handling and a close to 50:50 weight distribution.
jumping, popping wheelies and blasting straight over whoops was never my cup of tea .
i always looked at the dunes as a 3 dimensional race track; instead of flat turns you have highly banked ones ... the G-forces you can reach are insane and very addictive :twisted:
and crossing diagonal over a sharp dune peak (called "razorback") to dip into the next banked turn on the other side is one heck of a thrill that i`m missing badly.

so for my kind of driving style i dont need a lot of suspension travel (i actually prefer moderate travel for the sake of a low CofG)
to me a flat underbelly protected by a full length skidplate is more important to glide over the sharp razorbacks.

if this would be a "street only" car i would stick with the simple rear roll loop (as well as a strong loop under the cowl),
but (as nick47 pointed out) taking the car to the dunes will be like running a competition:
you take a lot of chances ... the dunes are steep (up to 40 degree off-chamber) and there are no marked roads
so the chance for driving errors is high (as well as rolling or hitting natural hazards :shock: )

i always avoided to go out into the dunes on big weekends,
but unfortunately there are always some "Mr. Bigelow`s" out there (my code for Big ego, low skill drivers :roll:)
sadly collisions can and do happen...
i had my share of close calls with guys (that have a "area awareness" of a blind idiot in a dark tunnel)

anyway.... (sorry for the long and ranting post)
here is another drawing :

higher resolution; http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1013131/original/mmr11.jpg
i discovered that i moved my "dummy head" by accident ; it was sitting 2" too high, so i corrected the cage height
i also decide to raise the rearend up into the frame by one inch , consequently lowering the car to ~6" ground clearance in street trim (perfectly horizontal axles)
this allows me to run the lower tube all the way under the LCA for a simpler and stronger frame.
for off road i can turn up the spring pre-load to raise the belly to 7-7.5"

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 5:58 pm 

I like the roll hoop and think it looks great. And if it keeps a deer from ending up in your lap, so much the better.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 7:14 pm 

good point Acer :wink:
lots of them around the scenic backroads where i live (and plan to drive)

... and as carguy123 mentioned the kinda "vintage dirt track racer" look is starting to grow on me
(the previous "loop only" drawing looks kinda naked now)

PostPosted: April 13, 2021, 4:58 pm 

Was this project ever completed?

PostPosted: August 29, 2021, 6:14 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Digitally? Maybe.
Physically? I don't think it was ever started.
Probably collecting parts first.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11