LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scarllet
PostPosted: November 13, 2018, 10:47 am 

Awesome design. I hope you do build it.

I'm with you on WEC and IMSA. Plus, I think more technology from those series actually gets into production cars. F1 ought to forget about drivers and just make the cars autonomous, or controlled from a video game station, IMHO. F1 cars are damned ugly too. So there! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 13, 2018, 11:43 am 

Don't forget the road law's. Headlight height 22-24". That is a hard one in some car body's. Then you will need a DOT windshield.

I hate Governments . :BH:

But a cool looking idea.

PostPosted: November 13, 2018, 7:54 pm 

Yeah I am thinking of having two front nose sections; one with no lights for track only use and the other with headlights. I think Morimoto has a lot of good options to choose from. Also tail lights. I have a concept there, something similar to Aston Martin Vulcan with the pinnacles. I actually have a jeweler friend who i am going to talk with about what the best shape to refract light would be. I will 3d print the lens and back light it with LED's. Pretty simple actually.

The windshield gets a bit more complex... not really complex.. expensive. I got with a few companies that do polycarbonate windshields and they said they could do it, however the first one is really expensive. After that each one is relatively cheap.

PostPosted: November 14, 2018, 2:17 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice job!

The road legal nose should have a lot more gc at the overhang for driveways. speedbumps, etc.

Did you also check into the cost of a DOT legal, laminated glass windscreen?

Prismatic is also available from florescent fixtures and red acrylic from sign stores. May need DOT markings on the lenses depending on where you have it inspected.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 14, 2018, 3:21 pm 

I like what your doing. Very ambitious! A DOT legal windshield will be required to put it on the road.

I'll be following.

PostPosted: November 15, 2018, 9:35 am 

I know that about 15yrs ago a prototype windshield was about $50,000. I'm sure the price has gone up since then.
I would look at windshield already manufactured, i.e. Noble ,McClaren, etc, and design around that. You could probably get one of those windshields for 8,000 to $12,000 for your car.
DaveW

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 6:39 pm 

I'm impressed and really like the design. As for the windshield maybe tweek your design a little too use a Porsche 917 since there are DOT approved replica's available for purchase. For my new IMSA style project I have a 1995 RX7 rear window that I plan on duplicating in Lexan and put in the front for track only use. What is the wheelbase your looking at using? I am just starting to build my second tube chassis mid engine car and will be following your build for sure. Maybe we swap some idea's.

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 7:43 pm 

Prototype windshields can be had for $5k to $10k. Still a lot of coin, but not 10x that.

PostPosted: December 19, 2018, 9:13 am 

The $50K is not the price of the windshield, it's just the price of the tooling.
DaveW

PostPosted: December 19, 2018, 10:39 am 

davew wrote:
The $50K is not the price of the windshield, it's just the price of the tooling.
DaveW

Perhaps for volume production, but if you bring a buck made to the correct contours, they can make you your first windshield for under $10K and additional ones for (I believe) $4 to $5k. I'll try and find the last quote that I got, but those numbers are pretty close.

PostPosted: December 20, 2018, 8:41 am 

The prototype tooling price was originally for a run of just about 25 windshields, truck size, but a little over 30 mules where actually made. Now the glass did have to met OEM standards. But the surface area is a lot smaller then what you area talking about. Glass can not typically formed over a soild buck, it has to be done on an articulating pillion. You are talking a lot more surface area and a huge radius to be form to be from a flat sheet of glass. lots of design work and machining. You might be able to get lower tooling cost, if made in Korea or China.
DaveW

PostPosted: December 21, 2018, 9:54 am 

Any updates on your progress?

PostPosted: December 31, 2018, 4:02 pm 

Hey guys! Sorry I have not been on to give updates. Sooooo there are none. :( At the moment I am renovating my office at home and my computer is shut down. But I have been thinking about the design and build. I will keep you posted when I finalize my ideas.

As for Headlights; they are designed at 24-26 inches. When it comes to the windshield; the company i contacted will do the tooling for $3500 and each windshield will cost $400 each. I might just make a track only model and leave the legal stuff up to the individual builders.

Wheel base is 100 inches +-.

Keep you posted. If you have any ideas you think i should implement, please share them.

PostPosted: January 2, 2019, 6:39 pm 

Welcome mlacasse,
Big WEC, FIA - IMSA fan here also, You got a cool project going and I'll be sure to follow along with your progress. What will the body be made of?, As others have mentioned the windshield can have an adverse effect on a budget. The windshield for my CLK-GTR project will be from a 3rd gen Mazda RX7, easily sourced and keeps the locost theme.
What part of the world are you located in ?
Vinny, New York
I know, Vinny in New York, sounds like a cliche' :)

PostPosted: March 9, 2019, 10:01 pm 

Hey guys I have an update! So I have been thinking about changing the chassis to make it easier and quicker to build.
The material will probably cost more but the time to assemble will we way down. I took design ques from the SLC Coupe chassis. This will be a sem-monocoque with detachable (replaceable) cross members and rear pod sections. I like the idea of having some flexibility depending on what drive train package you go with. Also I plan to start doing FEA analysis on this configuration soon. Hopefully. I will upload pictures, let me know what you think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.