LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 11, 2020, 1:13 am 

Hi everyone,

I wanted to just pose my idea that I've been thinking about for a while now. I want to build a front engine AWD space frame kit car. I was planning on using an Audi TT Mk1 or Mk2 drivetrain (subframes, suspension, engine/trans and all), with my ideal donor being the Mk2 TTS DSG. In addition to using the drivetrain from here, I want to shorten the wheelbase by about 15 inches through shortening the front-rear driveshaft. My goal is to have the car somewhat tolerable to drive in all conditions (dry, light rain with a roof, even light snow).

Now here's the problem. I've been a lurker of this type of project for a while but I've never built a kit car before. I've never worked with metal in the way that fabrication of a frame would require. Here are my questions:
1. How hard is it for a newbie to build a Locost, much less a project like this?
2. In terms of handling, how horrible is having half of the engine in front of the front axle for handling? Is a project like this feasible?
3. Are my hopes too high, even with a reasonable fabrication shop at my side?
Thanks for your responses.

PostPosted: April 11, 2020, 11:54 am 

TPNxl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to just pose my idea that I've been thinking about for a while now. I want to build a front engine AWD space frame kit car. I was planning on using an Audi TT Mk1 or Mk2 drivetrain (subframes, suspension, engine/trans and all), with my ideal donor being the Mk2 TTS DSG. In addition to using the drivetrain from here, I want to shorten the wheelbase by about 15 inches through shortening the front-rear driveshaft. My goal is to have the car somewhat tolerable to drive in all conditions (dry, light rain with a roof, even light snow).

Now here's the problem. I've been a lurker of this type of project for a while but I've never built a kit car before. I've never worked with metal in the way that fabrication of a frame would require. Here are my questions:
1. How hard is it for a newbie to build a Locost, much less a project like this?
2. In terms of handling, how horrible is having half of the engine in front of the front axle for handling? Is a project like this feasible?
3. Are my hopes too high, even with a reasonable fabrication shop at my side?
Thanks for your responses.

Hi TPN and welcome to this forum. Most of the questions you are asking would depend on your skills. Being new to steel fabricating does not make you a bad car builder. You like most of us can learn and make sure that you start with the right equipment. For instance a mig welder, preferably with CO2/Argon gas. You may want to think hard also about your choice of project an AWD Audi Locost sounds wonderful but this is not the easiest thing to deliver . I may be wrong of course because I don't know you ...but a rear engine rear wheel drive locost based on an Audi TT power plant may give you all you need on the road for half the headache . One factor to consider in your decision is performance. The AWD may have better cornering capability but will be heavier than a 2WD . An exciting project however....Keep us posted :cheers: Philippe
As a foot note you may want to visit Terry's 525 HP AWD subaru build log in the Non conventional Locost section below. Terry and others will tell you what they know about bolting a AWD power train to a tube frame.

PostPosted: April 11, 2020, 1:10 pm 

Hi phil thanks for the reply. I will definitely think about my choice of project. One more question, how do builders mock up their frames: just by putting pipes around their drivetrain after it's been removed, by CAD, or what? My real question is: do Locost builders who use custom frames design after receiving their donor or before? Cheers

PostPosted: April 13, 2020, 2:09 pm 

TPNxl wrote:
Hi phil thanks for the reply. I will definitely think about my choice of project. One more question, how do builders mock up their frames: just by putting pipes around their drivetrain after it's been removed, by CAD, or what? My real question is: do Locost builders who use custom frames design after receiving their donor or before? Cheers

We base the space frame construction on the design of the original Lotus Seven from the 1950's. Or a slightly enlarged blueprint. You may want to acquire the BOOK. This is a book written by a British school teacher called Ron Champion designed to give car building candidates all they need, drawings, specs, material description, photos, etc to build a road worthy Lotus Seven from scratch. With this book you do not have to design your own frame, just follow drawings. If you build a front engine/rear wheel drive such as the original seven that's all you will need and learn how to weld. If you want to build a rear engine car as I suggested you should acquire KB's book on how to build the Midlana (look up Midlana). I believe that most builders think of the basic tube frame first and then alter the arrangement of tubes to suit their power train both dimentionaly and also for strength. For instance, the basic frame should be stronger if the final car is going to receive a V8 than a motorcycle engine . If you want to build an AWD you should exchange mail with those on this forum who have done it successfully. Good luck. Keep asking questions when you need it. And keep us posted.

Phil. :cheers:

PostPosted: April 15, 2020, 8:10 pm 

I think it comes down to understanding what you're trying to accomplish with this build. Really try to figure out, and be honest with yourself, how much of this is about the journey and how much is about the destination. There is a steep learning curve to any and all of this, but none of it is insurmountable if you're dedicated and determined.

While it will be different, there is nothing stopping a front heavy AWD car from handling just fine. I too have had thoughts about how I would try to maximize such a setup.

If you're building a custom frame, as this layout would require, there are a lot of factors to take into account. Have you considered whether you'd be using the stock subframes and suspension, or going full custom? For a first attempt at this type of build, you'll be well ahead to reuse as much of the factory engineering as possible.

Welcome and happy building! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie