LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 19, 2020, 6:41 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
I'm well known for despising most Japanese cars but have admittedly become somewhat fond of the Suzuki engines.
That is due to their very light weight and willingness to rev-up combined with how inexpensive and relatively simple they are.
It is also possible to convert the Suzy engines to carbs, even Webers.
K.E.P. sells the Suzy to VW adapter.
If a 1.0 55HP (Still more than a "Simple" VW) is not enough for you a Suzy 1.3 SOHC is around 80 HP and cost about the same to do.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it!

Would you find any of these engines in a truck? I think I found some in trucks when I looked it up, but I don't have much car knowledge.

But you all got me rethinking my master plan....and its a much much better plan. Thank you!

PostPosted: December 19, 2020, 2:34 pm 

Suzuki 1.0 is from Geo or Chevy Metro. Probably used in other "Cultus" based cars too.
Later Metro's have the 1.3 four cylinder.
By the time you get to the 1.6 you may be into sequential injection and VVT so no longer simple.

They are cheap flimsy cars and come up as projects or parts on-line frequently.
Self serve junk yards have them often. The original first gear can be weak, second gear synchro wears out, and a shopping cart incident may be enough for one to be totaled. :wink:

Do not fear buying one that does not run, they are usually "Simple" to fix.
The engines last very well but a bad electrical connection or clogged injector will put them out of commission.
They are OBD-2 if that helps.
Wiring design for the lights is poor, with a known issue of the headlamp connector under the dash melting, then the car ends up parked.

I bought an entire car for $200.00 (No headlamps, melted connector) and another with an amateur "Rebuilt engine" for $500.00.
Guess which one ran best after replacing the timing belt and fixing the lights.

Like most modern engines plan on replacing the timing belt, cam and crank seals, plus water pump even if you do not want to rebuild the engine.
All of which should be less than $100.00 if you look on-line.

For $1,000.00 :shock: you should be getting an entire car too nice to use for parts.
I just sold my $200.00 (Plus tune-up) Metro that got 45.7 MPG at 236,000 miles for $500.00

Unless converting to carbs you need to make sure to get the ECU and F.I. components so a whole car is probably best.

You-tube vids will show you how to fit Bike carbs but opinions are mixed on that being simpler than the original throttle body F.I.

I am going to do my "Rebuilt" engine over again.
The head was done by a machine shop and seems fine so all I have to do is the lower end for around $300.00
Then I will part out the rest of it. Might save the trans for a future Middy build.

I need a high MPG car right away and the Metro body needs way too much work.
So I now plan to put the Geo 1.0 into a pretty clean Myers Manx type buggy I can get for only $1,000.00
I live in the Nevada desert so a 55 HP and 6K RPM buggy should be fun. :D

This will be a great learning experience for my more ambitious Tatum build.
I will document my progress.

PostPosted: December 19, 2020, 9:08 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
For $1,000.00 :shock: you should be getting an entire car too nice to use for parts.
I just sold my $200.00 (Plus tune-up) Metro that got 45.7 MPG at 236,000 miles for $500.00

Now wait a minute... you're telling me there is a cheap hatchback out there that can get 40 MPG, has a simpleish engine, and has easy to find/cheap parts for it?

Do you think it can tow a light trailer?

Aside from funding, the two biggest hurdles I'm facing right now are my strong lack of skills and practicality of the project. I can defiantly convince my wife(and honestly myself too) to get a donor car for my project if its cheap and immediately useful. We got a house to fix up.

PostPosted: December 19, 2020, 9:08 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:

Now wait a minute... you're telling me there is a cheap hatchback out there that can get 40 MPG, has a simpleish engine, and has easy to find/cheap parts for it?

Do you think it can tow a light trailer?

Aside from funding, the two biggest hurdles I'm facing right now are my strong lack of skills and practicality of the project. I can defiantly convince my wife(and honestly myself too) to get a donor car for my project if its cheap and immediately useful. We got a house to fix up.

PostPosted: December 19, 2020, 10:08 pm 

Yes, but they are nearly all beat up with bad door latches, windows that do not go up and down, trashed interiors, and have 250,000 miles or so on them.
Unless they have an electrical issue and have been sitting for a few years. :lol:
Try to avoid the 12" wheel models as tires are an issue.
Later cars have 13" wheel and tires are around $30.00 each at China-Mart.

Good clean runners are hard to find, I was not entirely kidding about the grocery carts.
I know of one in CA that is concourse for $4K, and the cost of an engine rebuild.

Lots of them turn up on the Geo Metro forum at around $1,500.00, more or less.
And just to make it worse for you, there are Turbo and Convertible versions, hop-up parts too.

If you want to sort out and use a donor before your build they are out there.
If you want to just get a donor for a build look for a wreck or self-serve salvage yard.
They sold a LOT of them, twenty to thirty years ago.

As to a trailer, I know some owners have made hitches and do tow things like little tear-drop camp trailers or single dirt bikes.
It's 55 HP and a very small clutch.

Practicality has a lot to do with your location.
I'm in Nevada so have sunshine 300 days or more a year.
It still gets cold in winter so at least a windscreen is needed.
I may duct the radiator to the drivers area.
If you are in Wisconsin practicality is less.