LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Locost Odyssey
PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 12:59 pm 

Greetings everyone,

Inspired by the Petrolicious video titled One car to do it all. As well as the Anime film Porcco Rosso, and the locost 7/ Colin Chapman philosophy.
I decided to challenge myself to make a non-traditional mid engine fully bodied locost.

Post subject: Re: A Locost Odyssey
PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 1:26 pm 

Some areas of this project are currently locked, chief among them the body. Which has both dictated some design and engineering solutions and problems.
A early generation Fiberfab Valkyrie will serve as the body for this project. Despite the criticism from the Ford GT40 crowd, the car fits the ethos of this journey, locost, beautiful to me, and fun.
But the small size while good for creating restraint is an issue for packaging. And this is where I need the assistance of the locost community.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 1:35 pm 

Unlike most who wish to utilize a V8/transaxle combination. I want to take inspiration from the Italian derived anime and use something a bit Italian for power.
The goal is to use the 3/3.2 transverse V6 from the Alfa Romeo 164. This would be mounted behind the driver like a Fiero, MR2, or Gen1 Honda NSX.
But I am having trouble designing the frame around the engine. I am not interested in a round tube beautiful frame as I have a source on 2"x3" rectangular steel that can be used for the lower rails, then 2x2 for the upper rails like used for the V8 locost builds I have researched here.

The front suspension will use early C4 control arms, and spindles, etc. As seen in the photo provided am mocking up the chassis in wood before I purchase the steel. But the rear suspension is something I am having trouble conceptualizing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 2:07 pm 

While I would love to use a double wishbone setup, the packaging constraints of the body as well as the wheel knuckle design of the alfa is convincing me a strut style step-up similar to the Lancia stratos kits might be a more cost effective and quicker option to getting this car on the road.

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 3:22 pm 

Welcome to the non-trad community, I like where you are going with this.

Not familiar with that body, but a quick google and it looks like it was made for it, it appears to have a nice high waistline like the stratos'. Raises a few questions; How much clearance between the body and the top of the stock alfa strut? What is the axle weight of the stock alfa and how close are you close with the glass body? I saw a one off special that hid an interfering strut tower in an air scoop. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this one, have at it!

Cheers,
Marcus.

PostPosted: October 9, 2023, 10:14 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

You might want to check out my Kimini book, which covers exactly what you're doing, adapting a modern transverse FWD lump into the back of a shell. It has everything I learned during my build of a mid-engine carbon-shell "Mini." The direct link is: https://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-14rvwvg.html?q=Kimini&page=1&pageSize=4

PostPosted: October 13, 2023, 10:27 pm 

Five points for not using an LS, ten for using an Alfa!
No I am not biased, not at all. :lol:

PostPosted: October 16, 2023, 5:49 pm 

I always liked the FF Valkyrie/Aztec/Avenger. I'll be following this.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 17, 2023, 10:36 am 

Will enjoy watching your progress! The 1st Fiberfab kit car I had ever seen was a Jamaican parked at the Blue Dolphin restaurant at the San Leandro, CA Marina about 1968. Thought it was one of the most exciting cars I had ever seen.

PostPosted: October 17, 2023, 5:22 pm 

I'll be following along as well! Using a modern FF drivetrain in the rear of a scratch built car makes a lot of sense, the choice of engines and gearboxes is HUGE, some can be had for peanuts and they can come packed with gearbox/diff/axles/subframe/uprights/exhaust/intake/etc. which can potentially all be reused to simplify the build.

If I could register a scratch built car where I am I would likely be going this route as well. Good luck!

PostPosted: November 1, 2023, 9:44 pm 

As an update to the project, I began modeling the chassis to hopefully better pacakage everything within the body.
So far this this the idea of the chassis. As noted, the rear section has not been completed let. However I believe I will take inspiration from Midlana in the design.

More triangulation and analysis is required, but as of now, the frame would be 16 guage 2"x2" steel square tubing, and 1.5"x12 guage round tubing for roll bar, and front dash support.

PostPosted: November 1, 2023, 9:51 pm 

The roof tubes are not modeled let, which will add rigidity to the frame.

KB58 wrote:
You might want to check out my Kimini book, which covers exactly what you're doing, adapting a modern transverse FWD lump into the back of a shell. It has everything I learned during my build of a mid-engine carbon-shell "Mini." The direct link is: https://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-14rvwvg.html?q=Kimini&page=1&pageSize=4

Thank you for this suggestion,
Mind if I pick your brain as well as any one willing to assist? You see I would like to avoid the hassle of a powersteering pump, lines, and reservoir. What manual quick ratio racks are available out there? By fast I mean 114/15.1 ratio steering racks.

Thank you, more updates later as I finish the chassis and then begin purchasing the steel for welding.

PostPosted: November 2, 2023, 11:31 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Because it's mid-engine, there is relatively low weight on the front tires, so manual steering is no problem. I never - not even once - wished for power steering in Midlana. Avoiding power steering also eliminates running hoses front to rear, a unnecessary accessory on the engine, and chances of leaks.

For the steering rack, seriously consider a depowered (power steering) Miata steering rack. The resulting ratio is about as fast as I'd want for the street. In fact, I used to drive with my elbow braced against a chassis tube because sneezing could instantly translate to an unintended lane change. Note: the Miata power steering rack has a slightly faster steering ratio than the manual steering rack.

PostPosted: November 3, 2023, 12:27 am 

KB58 wrote:
Because it's mid-engine, there is relatively low weight on the front tires, so manual steering is no problem. I never - not even once - wished for power steering in Midlana. Avoiding power steering also eliminates running hoses front to rear, a unnecessary accessory on the engine, and chances of leaks.

For the steering rack, seriously consider a depowered (power steering) Miata steering rack. The resulting ratio is about as fast as I'd want for the street. In fact, I used to drive with my elbow braced against a chassis tube because sneezing could instantly translate to an unintended lane change. Note: the Miata power steering rack has a slightly faster steering ratio than the manual steering rack.

The elimination of various power steering accessories like you listed were a big consideration in foregoing power steering.
I have been considering a depowered rack from a Miata or MRS, but a few things concern me. Those being,

1.) Typically a depowered rack requires the looping of the lines, and I am wondering if a reservoir would still need to be required should the fluid expand in high heat or multiple heavy loaded conditions.

2.) I have heard mixed reports as to the long term reliability of depowered racks.

Have you experienced either of these?

PostPosted: November 3, 2023, 9:52 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

My Midlana book has an entire chapter on steering solutions, with pics on how to depower a Miata rack. To answer your questions, no looping is needed. The rack is disassembled, a couple seals removed, it's reassembled, and the open ports capped. The bushings the rack slides on are lubricated by grease, and I've never heard of a depowered Miata rack failing. The reality is that none of us drive these cars for 100,000 miles, so while the rack might someday wear, the rate of wear is so small that it's inconsequential.

Last edited by KB58 on November 3, 2023, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.