LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shipping
PostPosted: August 1, 2020, 9:40 am 

has anyone noticed that DHL are being used more by suppliers.
i thought they were leaving the USA

i have noticed that if your supplier uses DHL that the item shipped takes much longer, even with expedited shipping, than even the post office, commonly DHL transfer the package to USPS for delivery anyway.

if you buy from Walmart.com your purchase will not come from Walmart, it will come from a random vendor but will probably ship via DHL.

from experience, i purchase a lot on the internet, if the shipping method is DHL, then i would search for a different vendor because you will probably find confusing tracking info, if there is any at all, and your package will wait a day to be picked up, sit around in a DHL facility for a day or two, then be moved to another facility to be transferred to USPS for delivery to you.

the post office a more than capable of delivering a parcel, i have had a jaguar door sent USPS, so why add the completely unnecessary step of DHL.

there is probably some arrangement with Walmart and DHL which compels the vendor to have the item handled by DHL.

my most recent foray into this was that i needed some glue, 8oz. of vinyl glue to be precise, my wife ordered it from, you guessed it, Walmart.com on the 26 of july before noon eastern time, and paid extra for expedited delivery, i don't have any glue and if i'm lucky, it may come by august 4th. and i already know it was handed over to USPS in Georgia today.

you have to ask why the vendor didn't just post it on the 26 of july, this is not an isolated incident an has resulted i my orders having to be cancelled in favor of a different vendor before just to get the item in a reasonable time.

just some advice to reduce the frustration of getting parts that you need, remember, "if i wanted it tomorrow i would order it tomorrow, i want it today"

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post subject: Re: shipping
PostPosted: August 1, 2020, 1:26 pm 

john, Ignoring DHL for the moment. are you saying that items on Walmart.com identified as being sold and shipped by walmart are being redirected to sub's? I know that Walmart, Sears Amazon etc all identify an item as who sells and who ships each product. Sometimes one has to search for it, but it is there.

As for why they didn't ship on July 26th, Very few shipping companies actually pickup or deliver on Sundays. If it was sold shipped by a 3rd party, few of those vendors actually are open for business on Sundays either.

If your "expected delivery" date when you purchased came and went, then I would contact either Walmart or the seller for reversing the Expedited charges. Even the USPS will not guarantee a delivery date. Priority Shipping dates are just average dates. If they miss delivery date, then tough luck. No recourse is available.

I do feel your pain though. Expedited shipments are supposed to be expedited.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 1, 2020, 3:10 pm 

Hmmm, I get DHL deliveries from England in three days.
Very reliable.

On the other hand UPS and Fed-Ex take up to seven days to get a mere two-thousand miles or so, without crossing any international borders. USPS "Priority Mail" is always at least a day longer than claimed to be.
And despite fuel prices falling by half I'm pretty sure we are still getting the "Fuel Surcharge" on every shipment.

PostPosted: August 1, 2020, 8:55 pm 

Chuck,

yes they did identify the seller but the seller won't sell to me.
this is not the first time with walmart and dhl, sometimes they will tell you all sorts of things and after a week or so tell you it is out of stock and refund your money.
problem is at that time i needed a sheet rock lift, not the money, i all ready had that.
for the same reason, i won't deal with northen tools

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 3, 2020, 10:46 am 

Sad to see DHL in this state.

I remember before their exit from the domestic US market they were cheaper than UPS and had faster delivery times.

I, for one, have found FEDEX to be absolutely insufferable.
Long wait times at their central hubs for ground, packages being held at random, getting lost, being delayed by weeks without tracking updates.
We once had a crate of equipment we sent down south for a job, guaranteed delivery date, and the tracking just stopped. "Oh, we forgot it on the loading dock in TN. Sorry. We'll have it on a truck tomorrow."
They also have a bad habit of taking the exact time on 3 day/2 day packages. Sent 3-day from 1 day away ground, it will be 3 days to deliver, with that wait at a hub.
Pre-COVID it was bad, now it's worse.

USPS I'm not too fond of after some correspondence sent overnight early AM to the state office building 100 miles away (No way to drop it off in person, they required mailing...) took a trip to Puerto Rico on a jet, turned around, and got delivered a week later. That was a fun phone conversation...

UPS has been good to me though, even if their pricing is a bit higher. Frequently their ground delivery and 3 day deliveries come early if they're in the 1-2 day zones.

EDIT And just after I post this, a tracking update for a FEDEX package dropped in the email.
They have it sitting at the local office with "Package not due for delivery" in the tracking.
Was sent 3 day express, shipped Friday with Wednesday delivery, and got here this morning. Now they're holding it till Wednesday, can't even do an in-person pickup.
If it was Ground, it would have been on the truck for delivery today, but the connector vendor ships all their online store orders 3-day...
Perverse case of "You get what you pay for.", in that it always takes 3 days, unless it takes longer.