LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stalker Ackerman
PostPosted: July 22, 2022, 12:18 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
There is an assumption that everyone reading this thread might know what "zero Ackerman" or "200% Ackerman" might mean. I don't. Does anyone care to define those terms?

Picture below... left car is 100%, right car is 0%, 50% would be half-way between. Move the intersection point to half of the wheelbase and you would get 200%.

This article was a good read. My car drives the way the article concludes… at 100% my car is VERY 'pointy' (especially so at high speeds). I'm more of a technical and low speed (autocross) driver so this is desired for my use. https://www.vehicledynamicsinternationa ... viour.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 23, 2022, 6:39 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

davew wrote:
" Ackerman is the same as a Chevy S10." The S-10 came in three wheelbases and used the same spindle on all three. Plus the S-10 spindle was a carry-over item form the older GM "B"-cars. So there had to variation with the WB changes but the spindle designed in Ackerman was consider sufficient for a lot of different WB's. Plus to add to the comments, the Pratt-Miller Vettes run as high as 200% Ackerman on some tracks.
As long as you are in the ballpark, because it would be hard to say one size fits all! :D

Also, I don't think any s10 with 2wd spindles had a rack and pinion, just 4wd. Converting to a rack changes whatever it was with a steering box linkage. The popular stalker steering arm shortening changes it further.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 23, 2022, 8:16 am 

If you are going to be using a trammel bar to check toe at different steering angles, just be aware that the tire gets in the way unless you make really long pointers on the trammel bar. Also, set your toe before checking as toe-in means you are starting with negative Ackerman and toe-out means you are starting with positive Ackerman,

A VERY general guideline I heard years ago is that the inside wheel should turn 23* when the outside is 18*. Obviously car width, length and intended use can affect this but it gives a frame of reference. I picked up commercial grade turn plates years ago on craigslist for $50.

PostPosted: July 23, 2022, 10:52 am 

@RTz

Thanks, Ron. That's a very interesting article, and website. I have it bookmarked now.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886