LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 2:52 pm 
As I see it you have 3 options.

1) Weld and built it all yourself. (Cheapest)

2) Buy a frame from Coverland. (More Money)

3) Buy a "true" kit from Westfiled, SEi (Miata based) ($13,500 to $15,000)
http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/index.php
or import a Caterham kit, ($20,000 to $40,000)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 5:15 pm 
Option 1. You possibly waste $200 worth of tubing which can probably be used for something, learn a bit, and possibly save &2k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 6:17 pm 

I have to call my dad tonight, to make sure I can take the welder home with me, but I'm gonna' start small, maybe make a stand/cart for the welder, see how that works out. I'm not ruling out the possibility of building my own frame, lord knows it's easier to spend 200-300 dollars than save 3K.

I'll probably buy their (Coveland) a-arms though and the panels, seeing how I'll never match CNC cut anything.

(sigh)

Today, I was thinking maybe I need another hobby :roll:

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11, 2006, 6:23 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

You could learn Welding or CNCing.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12, 2006, 9:22 pm 

Today, I made metal stick together.

I guess you can move this to building a kit from scratch, because that's what I'll be attempting to do.

After talking to many people, I've decided to build my own book frame.
Every time I heard someone tell me I should buy the pre-made frame, I kept hearing in my head, "You can't do it, just buy the frame." This just plain out motivated me to show everyone that it's possible.

I've borrowed my dad's MIG welder (all electric, flux core). It's not the most high tech, with only a low/high switch for heat, and a dial for wire speed. But I'm learning, and it's welded some of the metal from the bucket o' scrap that I brought home from work. A friend welded a bead strong enough that when subjected to a sledgehammer while in a vice, the vice was pulling away from the workbench, so I think that little welder might do the job. I also bought a real nice bench grinder and an angle grinder from Sears today (stuffs on sale :twisted: ). These are just a number of regular shop tools I need, but will be needed also for the build. Next on my list will be a bench vice (my own) and eventually a bandsaw and probably a drill press. Other than a few other little tools, and securing a flat build surface, I'll be on my way (once I learn how to weld better, and get some metal of course)

I'd like to thank everyone for slapping me silly so I can see the light, through a welder's mask.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12, 2006, 9:34 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Scott
Quote:
I kept hearing in my head, "You can't do it, just buy the frame."

Dont be afraid to spend some money on scrape and learning techniques, it takes some time to be confident about the weilds and getting the welder dialed in corretly (do you have a manual?).

Quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for slapping me silly so I can see the light, through a welder's mask.

Take you time there is often ALOT of good advice on this board and people can be vey helpful.

Welcome aboard I look forward to reading your Builders log when you are ready.
mr. peabody .d

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13, 2006, 8:10 pm 

Well, I've been able to make metal stick together. Day two, I've made a couple of nice looking beads, somethimes they're not touching both pieces of metal, but they're nice looking.

I'm noticing (and this isn't any real surprise), that the "flusher" the metal is together, the easier it is to weld (duh). Wish I knew why some beads look good, others look like popcorn, but hey, it's day two practicing welding, and I'm having lots of FUN!

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2006, 6:21 pm 

I'm not registered or nor is it payed for, but I'm taking welding classes from HACC (local community college) in November. Not that classes are necessary to learn how to weld, but between two months of practice, then classes (24 hours worth of classes), I should be more than ready to weld some tubing.

Plus, then I'll really know how to weld :P

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2006, 7:34 pm 

Scott: Let me just throw out that the biggest requisites to doing the Locost thing are patience and an enjoyment of the learning process. IMO there are two primary types of people in this world - those who want to work within a comfort zone and those who like to push their limits. Look inside and ask which you are (Or which percentage of each). If you try to be something that you're not, you'll probably end up unhappy. On the other hand if you are a guy who likes to extend himself, but you have self-doubts, you are the guy with the most to gain, as you'll both extend yourself, and gain additional self-confidence.

That said, most folks would probably be happier just buying a used Miata and being done with it.

(stepping off of soapbox)

-Berk

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2006, 8:07 pm 

Hmm, I do know that I've liked the Lotus 7 even before I knew what it was. And from the moment I bought the miata, I've been stripping it down, removing this and that to make it lighter (while streetable).

At first, I wanted a frame that was tailor made for the miata, so there would be no "surprises", and that I knew I could, for the most part, just bolt/rivet the car together. But deep down, I wanted to build my own frame, proving to MYSELF above all others, that it can be done, that I can do it. Now, knowing how to weld is just like needing another tool that I don't have, except that I can't buy it at Sears :)

As tempting as it will be, I plan on taking my time with building the car. Learning as I go, of course, as I'm sure all builders do. But as I've stated in another post, I want the car to be polished. No rusty parts, no unpainted surfaces, leaks, "getting by for now parts", ect...

No, I won't be rebuilding my engine or tranny first, probably being the only exceptions. But I will have the intake manifold polished, rotors upgrated, hubs painted, I think you guys get the idea. No old hardware, that sorta' thing. I'm not going for the track car look, more like the capable cruiser (now, don't get me wrong here, it's a 7, it'll get autox'd, and maybe some track time. I just don't want to have spray painted wheels while rolling down the road (like I do now)

But your post wasn't about the car, it was about me. I've known (and know) many people that say they're gonna' do this or that, but never do. I'm not one of those people. I made sure of that since I joined the Marines back in '96 (I'm out now, for those curious). I went skydiving, got my scuba certification, Australian repelled in Australia, seen Thai Boxing in Thailand, things like that (not bragging, just examples)

Whew, now that everyone knows more about me than they want to, I need to get out the garage and play with that welder some more :)

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2006, 8:17 pm 
Kimini's right on about the learning process, etc. However, people say it is inexpensive to make a locost frame; I disagree. Not including tools, I bet I have over $1200 in my frame. I think I could have save $1k overall by buying a chassis. That said,, building the frame was the most fun. If fact, it was one of the more enjoyable things I've done.

For the welding, I learned as you. I welded a tube, then cut it open to see what was going on. I did this over and over for about 4-6 weeks. I never really made anything, I just practiced while funds caught up. The equipment you're using is great to learn on. You can learn to keep a puddle going and penetrate well--but not too well! When it come time for your frame, I suggest you use a Miller or Lincoln 135A MIG at at minimum--a 220 volt MIG would be better (I wish I bought one).

One thing you'll notice about locost is that no one builds the same. As such, you'll see attention to details differ amoungst builders. This is a good thing. I like see how people build. I for one built what I consider a more detail-oriented build. Sometimes I wish I had a roughed-up, patina-laced se7en to drive silly in the evenings. But that's a different project.

Check out my website for more pics of my car. The fiberglass is CMC, but everything else is mine.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19, 2006, 9:13 pm 
Locostering Legend

Scott,

How far are you from Reading, PA? If you'd like, you're welcome to come over to my garage and play with my Millermatic 210 MIG (with shielding gas) to compare with the fluxcore you're using. I also have a TIG and, as of last week, a Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme plasma cutter. I seem to a thing for Miller blue.

The fluxcore is capable of welding a frame for you. But once you use gas shielded, you'll find it much cleaner. Basically no smoke, and hardly any cleanup. Nothing against Coveland, but the money you can save building your frame can pay for a 240V MIG with a Spoolmate aluminum handfeed gun. As Chris said, 135 amps will do most of what you need to weld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2006, 5:49 am 

I'm not too far from Reading, maybe an hour, I think. I might just have to schedule a weekend open for just such an outting, thank you for the offer.

I've made a decent weld here and there so far, but I can already tell that I probably don't want to buy a flux core welder, as it's so messy, and I plan on being rather anal about my build, I don't want to spend more time cleaning up the flux. The downside here is, where I live now (I rent), I only have 110 in the garage. We're planning on buying a house next year, probably around summer time, but plans change, especially house buying ones. So I'll either have to put the project on hold, until we move, and I can buy the welder I want, or find the best one that'll work with this garage, and go from there.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2006, 5:56 am 

By the way, I love that website Chris, our club could use something like that to spruce things up.

Great looking car too!!

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2006, 9:18 am 

It isn't that hard to wire a 220 junction. Many homes have the breaker box in the garage which makes it that much easier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next