LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 18, 2011, 4:47 pm 

They're my unicorn at the moment. I've seen pictures of them and I see them in my head all the time but I've never seen one in person. I've been in contact with Alan and as soon as he gets a kit in from the UK it is off to its new owner so he hasn't had one available for me to look at.

I've been reading through the build logs and have seen some pretty amazing stuff that everybody does. Are you happy/pleased with the MK kit and their service? Just about everything I have seen has been promising about their prduct. I would definitely say they are one of the top kit builders in the UK and would think they're getting known here in the states.

Andy

PostPosted: May 18, 2011, 6:24 pm 

Made my final payment about 2 weeks ago and my kit was picked up on Friday last week (the 13th not a good sign huh :lol: ). Expect it to arrive here by June 10th. After I do my inventory check and initial fit I will answer your question.

As for service, I would say not bad, not great, but responses to emails and calls are reasonable. Patience is needed dealing with across the pond. Hopefully I will continue to have good things to say :)..

-- Push the pedal on the right, the one in the middle is for wussies ---
- Link to build blog- http://BluLi7ard.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: May 19, 2011, 3:07 pm 

I bet you're drooling to get your kit. Your busa engine looks beautiful.... sigh..... Due to some negotiating I had to do with the Mrs. I am waiting on extra garage space before I start a build. Unfortunately that means a new house. We can find a ton of great houses cheap.... the problem is getting out of our current one. Anyway, that is a different topic that belongs on a different forum.

Nufun, where are you located? If its reasonably close I might have to make a day trip. Most likely you're in California right?!? :BH:

Beagley

PostPosted: June 22, 2011, 6:49 pm 

Had a lot of trouble with the US distributor for mk indy.. smart sports cars. Took literally weeks to return emails even when it was clear I was willing to send money. I ended up deciding on MNR instead because they use round tube for their chassis and seem to be better engineered. The MK indy certainly looks better than the MNR though.

Just bought my busa engine... 2009 900 miles for $3800

PostPosted: June 25, 2011, 7:00 am 

Hi Guys,

Alan from Smart Sports cars here.

I felt I must step in here.

We answer our e-mails very promptly so may I ask ffrgtm who it was they were corresponding with so that we can take appropriate action. Tardy customer service will not be tolerated and will be dealt with.

However, I suspect in this case, as in the case of nufun, that the issue lies with MK in the UK as we have no kits being delivered in June as far as Smarts Sports Cars are concerned. It seems that people have contacted MK directly and instead of being directed to us, MK have dealt with them directly.

So, again ffrgtm..names please...we have a reputation to maintain.

Alan

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 1:01 pm 

Hi Alan,
I sent an email with a number of questions on May 16 to info@smartsportscars.com and never recieved an answer. Also tried calling the number listed on the web site (area code 321) but it was never answered and it would not let me leave a message.

Bob

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 1:32 pm 

bnrg wrote:
Hi Alan,
I sent an email with a number of questions on May 16 to info@smartsportscars.com and never recieved an answer. Also tried calling the number listed on the web site (area code 321) but it was never answered and it would not let me leave a message.

Bob

Hi Bob,

It seems like we must be having some glitch. Please e-mail me personally at meerkatguy1956 at hotmail dot com and I will ensure that your questions get answered. I will also check that we are showing the correct phone number on the website.

I appreciate you bringing this up as I hate to think we could be losing any more customers.

Same applies to anyone else, if you have tried to make contact without success please try again on the e-mail shown above.

Regards,

Alan

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 10:41 pm 

Thanks for the speedy response to my email Alan. I need some time to digest the info and I will be getting back to you.

Bob

PostPosted: July 29, 2011, 3:58 am 

I have an MK Indy R and I've seen First350's MNR. They're very different under the skin. Not sure one is better than the other, but different. I have had good responsiveness before and after my purchase from Smart Sports Cars, which I needed as some parts didn't arrive as expected and in a couple of instances I got incorrect parts for my model of Indy. All this is pretty standard fare for the industry.

My sense is the MNR shows more of a racing edge whereas the MK still shows a lot of it's locost street car roots, although the suspension on mine seems every bit as capable as Peters and mine has a full roll cage too, but time will tell when I get mine up and rolling. I have every confidence in the engineering from MK as they've sold a LOT of Indy's and I've heard very few stories of the cars not working or breaking. Similarly with MNR. The Brits do seem to like the MNR as much as the Indy and maybe it is a little more recent in terms of the design, but the Indy R has pushrod suspension and everything that the MNR does as far as I can tell. Cost seems very comparable.

One thing you will have to take into consideration, buying a foreign kit, is that getting parts and service will take a LOT more time due to the time differences and distances. Can't just nip up to MK for a brake line they left out or whatever. Also, a lot of the parts (brake lines and fasteners) are metric (which is what most of the world uses) and it makes it a tad more of a challenge here but there's always a way using adaptors or just just buying quality metric fasteners.

I'd love to haul my Indy to Seattle and have a comparison drive with Peter on the street and a track.

-Steve

PostPosted: October 6, 2011, 12:11 pm 

When someone purchases an MK indy from smartsportscars, I was under the impression that one would only need to source an engine and transmission that would fit and perhaps a rear diff. Am I correct in this assumption? Is it a guarantee that everyone who orders will be missing bolts, rods, connection pieces etc that you'd either have to buy yourself again(you paid for them the first time) or wait possibly months for 250-600 worth of bolts, nuts, washers, etc come from UK?

BTW, I would only be willing to deal with a US supplier but assume they get all they need from UK on an as needed basis judging by how it takes 6 months to get the kit, etc.

Any info at all would be great.