LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 7:31 am 

Hello all!

I'm really trying to get myself into a Caterham (or something very very similar). I'm about 2/3 through a book a colleague lent me (Midlana) about building your own mid-engined Caterham. It's incredibly intriguing...and oh so tempting. I'm just not sure I can manage building it since I've never built anything worth mentioning in my life. But I do believe I could manage a kit from Caterham; there are a few major issues though. I live in Canada, which is great...except Canada really doesn't want you to enjoy yourself. It's such a major pain in the a** that you can't import kits unless they don't include drivetrain, suspension system & brake systems. And Caterham won't sell incomplete kits, and they don't even want to ship anything into Canada.

My inquiry is the following : how easy is it to ship complete kits into the United States? I'm starting to think the only way to get this done is to ship a complete Caterham 260 kit into the US, import only the items I know that will pass the border, sell the other items in the US, and source my own replacements here. The reality is that we do have 1.6L Sigma engines in Canada, and MX5 drivelines as well. I just need the frame, bodywork, steering & interior from the kit.

Does someone have any input/criticism?

Cheers,
James

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 1:42 pm 

Caterhams are mostly on USA7s.com. Check them out but be prepared to shell out big bucks. Might be best for you to get an already finished used 7 in Canada. There are lots of Canadians on this site and the USA7s site that can steer you in the right direction. Russ

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 3:05 pm 

Up until a short time ago, we had a dealer here in BC, at Chemainus on Vancouver Island. Unfortunately, the owner of the business, the famous David Saville Peck died a couple of years ago, and the business eventually closed without his input. He was a great guy, and at one time, one of the most winning & famous racing drivers in the world.

He took me for a (very) spirited drive, on public roads & highways, in one of his Hyabusa-engined 7's, and it was truly a life-altering experience - both the car, and the drive itself.

Even with a history of racing behind me, being driven at 9/10's by a world-class CanAm driver was "exhilarating" :shock: :shock: :shock: . Although I could never afford the price of one of his cars, it was nonetheless the impetus to get me started on a build of my own creation.

David imported Caterham kits & built them to turn-key cars for sale, but he would also import kits (as a dealer he could do this) for sale to those who wanted to "build their own".

I've heard there's a dealer in Calgary now. If so, they might be able to help.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 4:37 pm 

Snail89 wrote:
I'm really trying to get myself into a Caterham (or something very very similar).
Locosts and Caterhams are both very very similar to Lotus Sevens, but Caterhams are made out of money and Locosts are made out of time. You can convert your money to time by buying Locost parts instead of physically cranking them out by yourself. What's your budget for this project?

PS--just one more post and you won't need adult supervision to communicate on this forum.

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 8:22 pm 

the Canadian "dealer" https://www.7cars.ca

He's got a Hayabusa powered car for sale.

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:56 am 

There's also a Caterham for sale in Quebec
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/s ... nFlag=true

and a Westfield
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/l ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:42 pm 

There have been some really nice Locosts for sale over the last couple years in the $7,000-$9,000 USD range. Being 100% honest about it, you would be hard pressed to build one for that price if you include the basic tools needed (welder, drill press, etc) plus the donor vehicle, materials and accessories required to make it roadworthy. Plus, it will take you a year or two of time to build.

You are unlikely to find a genuine, used Caterham for less that $20,000 USD, and that would actually be an exception, perhaps one of the Japanese vehicles now legally imported into the USA (& Canada?) because they're 20+ years old.

There could be some vehicle registration issues for your locale, so you should research that. However, buying a built Locost is probably the most economical way to get into a 7-like vehicle.

Good luck to you.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 2:24 pm 

More 7's for sale in Canada http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php? ... post110444

PostPosted: September 21, 2019, 3:26 pm 

Keep checking Kijiji. There have been a lot of Canadian 7’s for sale lately - end of summer sales!

PostPosted: September 24, 2019, 6:38 pm 

I brought a 7 kit into Canada 15 years ago in 2 trips. Body, frame in one trip and suspension and steering as parts in another. Sold it before I finished it though. It’s a pain and if you get caught trying to “ work around the system” good luck trying to register it. Easier to buy a car here. It does take a while to find the right one but there are lots lately on Kijiji as people are offering their “end of summer sales”

I bought a Westfield from Kijiji about 10 years ago and kept it for 8 years until my dream 7 - Superformance S1 was 15 years old and legal to import into Canada, which I did last year. Ron.

PostPosted: September 25, 2019, 8:11 pm 

there are possibly 3 x 7s for sale in Calgary.

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 1:34 pm 

A friend of mine built a Birkin kit, essentially a replica on an S2 7. The base kit (no suspension etc) came directly from Birkin in South Africa. He got a second shipment of stuff like seats that wouldn't cause grief with Transport Canada and CBSA. Then he got his friendly mechanic to source suspension and other 'prohibited kit bits for him'. It wouldn't surprise me if the mechanic didn't source them from Birkin too, but the mechanic was a 'Canadian supplier', which fits the letter of the kit car regulations.

I think Birkins are now distributed in all of North America via the Texan dealer.

At the time the Rand was weak so it was apparently cheaper than a Cat, but I piggybacked a seat order with the second shipment and it was hard not to choke when got my share of the bill. Buying a is for rich people, or those with more generous wives than mine ....

If you do go the import route the paperwork process is slow. Count on a couple of months before you get an approved shipping manifest from Transport Canada. If you wanted to go with a different car, Factory Five claim to have pre-approved, Transport Canada-compliant packages for Canadian buyers.

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 2:41 pm 

Will MKIndy ship to Canada as well? They sell all sorts of frames to complete kits. Seems like the OP is long gone.

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 7:42 pm 

Quote:
Seems like the OP is long gone.

Yes I think we are more interested than he is! One post and gone.