LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 20, 2024, 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 29, 2021, 6:04 pm 

Hey guys. My first post here. I've been looking to buy a factory build Stalker with an LS motor. Unfortunately I was not looking for one back a few months ago when a really nice sold on BAT.

Do you guys know of any built Stalker LS-powered cars? I'd like to contact some owners to see if they'd be interested in selling.

Do you guys have any experience or have heard of any stories about how reliable/trustworthy Scott Minehart of Stalker Cars is? I have considered having him build a car for me but Stalker Cars is bankrupt and his website is barely working.

Thanks

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 9:33 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I knew Brunton in the beginning but that’s about it. Never on their forum.

https://www.racingjunk.com/other/184208 ... _offset=24

This looks like a popular site for used Brunton’s:
http://classiccardb.com/lotus/223383-br ... tus-7.html

That sounds like a really bad idea.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 9:47 am 

Checkout this post on usa7s. Net. It lists just about ak the cars for sale in the USA and Canada.

https://usa7s.net/ips/topic/9351-ebaycr ... ent-123831

Graham

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 10:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

kdm123 wrote:
...Stalker Cars is bankrupt and his website is barely working.

Their website works fine, but yes, my brother has one and confirmed that they're bankrupt. He tried ordering a replacement A-arm and they never shipped it, so he'll make his own. So yeah, you'll have to source or make everything, which is along the lines of building your own. The journey is the adventure.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 12:40 pm 

I built an early Stalker (# 24 I think it was) with the 3.4 V6. Really had a wonderful time in that vehicle over a three year period. Sold it, and it's passed along three more times. Everyone loved it. The first guy sold it because his wife convinced him that it wasn't safe enough. The second guy drove the hell out of it and sold it to move up to a LS-powered version. The third guy got old and was moving from a multi-acre property to an urban home without the extra parking space. I haven't met the new owner yet.

During that time I've logged thousands of miles in my friends Miata-based locost with a built Duratec 2.3. I also got to drive my old Stalker about a year ago. My verdict was that the Locost is a much preferable car. The biggest difference is the Miata IRS versus the big Chevy live axle. The IRS grips uneven surfaces much better, and doesn't literally beat your ass like that big lump of unsprung weight does on the Stalker. Also, the Duratec/Miata transmission is significantly lighter helping overall balance and it's high-reving personality is a better fit with the car IMO. On windy roads, 210 wheel HP is plenty for a 1350 lb car. One particular joy I've had is in chasing a pack of sportbikes and having them very frustrated at being unable to drop me.

So if you buy one, unless you mainly plan to track it, I'd definitely spring for the IRS. Also, speaking of tracking it, I'd invest in additional structure - especially side impact resistance. Having a 4:1 HP/weight ratio with nothing next to you but a couple of flimsy square tubes is pretty crazy IMO.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 12:56 pm 

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I have talked to Scott Minehart and he is still building cars though the company is bankrupt. The problem is that he wants a 50% deposit before he starts building a car. I don't think he's built any cars lately since no one is going to just send him that much money with nothing but his word that he will actually build the car.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 4:21 pm 

Kurt (KB58) may be more up to date than I, but I haven't heard ill words said about Scott Minehart.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 4:36 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

If he builds a car and the buyer doesn't make a deposit, he still has the car to sell.
What does the buyer have if he makes a deposit?
I guess those are pricey so that would be about $15,000 or more?
I wouldn't send the Pope $15k.

If you want a car, just go buy one.
Everything is for sale if you have enough cash.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 6:14 pm 

There are plenty of Stalkers and other sevenesque cars for sale, both finished and in process. From the Stalkers that I have seen, there has been a lot of engineering to be done by the builder. Perhaps I was seeing some of the older, partial kit builds. If that is not your cup-o-tea, then certainly go buy a finished, licensed and titled car. It is a quick way to get what you want. Just don't do it without 1st sitting in it to get a "feel". Many cars built on the same frame have different fit and feet based on builders' choices in seats etc. That means go see the car in person.

No way in he(ck) would I ever put a 50% deposit on a car kit or finished to be delivered in the future, when the seller is a verified Bankrupt business or individual. WOW! Just too much risk there with no protection if things go south.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 7:27 pm 

Yeah, makes no sense that the buyer should take on all the risk. I politely told him that it would be crazy for me to send him a $30K deposit, and he got pissed off and indignant that I would suggest he might not follow through.

So, I'm looking for a Stalker built by the company, not home built, and with an LS. One built in the last few years with the IRS. Unfortunately there aren't any for sale, and I also don't know how to contact owners to see if they want to sell. I tried contact the buyers of the last two Stalkers sold on Bring A Trailer, but BAT won't allow members to contact each other.

PostPosted: December 30, 2021, 10:06 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/lotus ... e-car.html

LxWxHt

PostPosted: January 1, 2022, 12:51 am 

I saw those sites previously, but they are advertising cars sold long ago.

PostPosted: January 1, 2022, 12:31 pm 

You could arrange a way for him to get paid from an escrow service.
That will protect both parties.

Myself I would not buy a Stalker, and I would never consider an overweight V8 version of this type of car.
I don't remember what, but there is something about the Stalker design that I don't care for, it's been a while since I've looked at one.
To me the car has a certain poser feel, it's built for looks, not to be driven. The car shouts performance but falls short in the delivery.
At any rate a V8 in place of a turbo'd 4 cylinder is 2 steps backwards, the car will actually be slower,
I think it's safe to say a 4 cylinder Locost will beat a V8 Locost at an autoX.
The only time a V8 would shine is at big track, in my eyes that is no place for a Locost (no crash protection).
I'm talking the difference between a jalopy and a Lotus.
Silly me, I want a car that impresses ME, not impresses someone who does not know any better.

PostPosted: January 1, 2022, 2:19 pm 

Sorry to start the new year with a confrontational post, but Bent Wrench is speaking from a position of ignorance. The LS-powered Stalkers absolutely tear up the place at autocross. A friend of mine used to take his to PCA events until they asked him not to because none of the German vehicles could touch the Stalker. Stalkers are in the national e-mod autocross hunt every year. At the GRM open track challenge a Stalker placed highly two years. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer my friend's Duratec-powered Locost to my old V6 Stalker, but throw a V8 in there and all bets would be off. The Stalker deserves some criticism, but being all show and no substance is certainly not on the list.

As for weight, yes it's heavy by Locost standards, but at 1600-1800 lbs. it's hardly a pig.

PostPosted: January 1, 2022, 4:42 pm 

I have met and personally worked with the entire Minehart family now running Stalkercars.com. The LS powered stalker has been in the top 5 nationally rated scca races for the last 5 years. They are well built, highly engineered with push tube designed shocks and are high quality. Scott has taken this once failing company and made it a successful, competitive business . I have competed with him, and he is excellent at what he does. They have 3-4 different types of seven type designed cars based on desire and budget. Definitely look them up and call them. Had I had the funds, I would have purchased one of their cars rather than my car I continually work to improve. Sidewinder52