LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1, 2006, 9:08 pm 

Here's the reply from Covington:

--------------------
We may at some point in the future. We are now building miata/s2000 frames with DOM round tube and bringing in a stainless steel frame from the UK . We will be updating the website soon. The UK frame is very generous with space in the engine bay and may lend itself to that engine. Do you have an L67 engine?
jim
---------------------

So it looks like the cannot accomidate at this point, but maybe sometime in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 5:29 pm 
jmartin wrote:
I do have one concern from reading the C&D article, and that is the steering problems found in 2 of the 5 cars, and the broken or loose rear end in the third. That meant 3 of the 5 cars had real problems at 'showtime' and makes me even more solidified in building from a kit.

There were only 4 cars :)
1 had basic suspension difficulties, I think. This is the $2500 car. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was but the builder seems to think it's fundamental.

1 was not-quite-finished and bent a control arm when doing braking tests with race tires. Not good, but not a surprise given the very quick build.

1 was only just finished and had a bad rear wheel bearing. It wasn't a fundamental problem, it's the sort of thing that happens to us all and the car didn't have enough miles to show it up. Easy fix - if the Spec Miata shop hadn't just used up their spare, we would have had the car up and running again in about 30 minutes.

1 had been on the road for two years and had been obsessed over to make it work as well as possible. This sucked up a lot of time and some money.

The price of steel has gone up quite a bit recently. It wouldn't surprise me to see kit pricing rising as well.