LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 17, 2014, 1:48 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Making a body widening kit (a la the +4 adapters for the TTL nose...split the part in half, insert the adapters, fiberglass it all back together) would do the same. Decisions, decisions.
I guess I was thinking about this from the perspective of not only fitting the overall width variations, but additionally fitting the varied hardware selections within the confines of the fender as well. The enclosed fenders would have to be sized and shaped to allow up to some given maximum. Going larger would necessitate extra measures to fit, and going smaller would leave wasted space. The trim-to-fit flares would still be able to accommodate a much wider variance.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or proposition though. IF the bodywork can be reasonably widened to fit Miata running gear as it sits, without completely ruining the proportions and/or having to significantly modify the fender shapes, then that would be good for those who prefer the enclosed fender look. But simply cutting wheel openings into the fenders and building the body a little narrower to get the desired proportions and flare size would provide the ability to run significantly larger tires and a custom tailored look too. Of course this is just brainstorming, since I'm not the one who would have to figure out how to get the parts to work together right, make all of the additional molds and mold modifications, or hopefully turn a profit doing so.

Do you know what track width and overall width that the body will currently accept? Or much it needs to be widened to fit with the stock Miata running gear?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 17, 2014, 3:08 pm 

Most of this is really down to marketability, would it be more financially viable to go down the replica route or mash the molds and make your own version. I think the replica route tends to financially run away and to short change a car of the authentic parts tends to leave a build half baked. I would be in the queue for that flared arch version of the 11 because it stands on its own. Ginetta grabbed a Lotus ish idea and made it their own and it worked well. They have stretched and ripped off quite a few designs over the years.

Bob

Attachment:
Ginetta_G4.jpg

Attachment:
Ginetta_G20-1.jpg

Attachment:
images.jpg

And a few more https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ginet ... 3B150%3B90

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: October 17, 2014, 4:35 pm 

The G4 is a very very nice looking car IMHO. But, if one thinks an Eleven or a Lola Mk 1 is small, then the G4 is tiny. If only someone made a slightly larger one.

PostPosted: October 17, 2014, 9:54 pm 

bob wrote:
Most of this is really down to marketability, would it be more financially viable to go down the replica route or mash the molds and make your own version.
Here in the colonies, Bob, the majority of the states have relaxed registration rules for replicas, often allowing them to run with the equipment (including smog devices) appropriate to the year of the vehicle they resemble. I think this is why we have so many Cobra replicas (V8 engine sports car, circa '61).

PostPosted: October 18, 2014, 6:38 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The g4 could be improved. The driver sticks out like a sore thumb. It's like admiring the looks of a nice sport bike, then the 3oo lb rider gets on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 18, 2014, 9:52 am 
The voice of reason

My high school chemistry teacher had a Ginetta G4. I did some searching last night and it looks like maybe only 15 were imported to the US. He's the one who got me started racing by bringing me to the local track and letting me help out at a couple of events when I was 16. Looking back on it it I guess I had no idea how special he was really. Sure made a difference in my life, RIP Monty Wells...

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 3:35 pm 

The very last Kokopelli built by Tom Rodgers before selling the molds was mine. We looked at a GM 3800 engine and 5-speed from a Camaro and whether it could be set well back from the front wheels. Tom said he would go for it. Almost 11 years later and a trouble free 27,000 miles still going strong (including the original battery!). 1600 pounds and a 4.7 seconds 0-60 :)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 9aYmxPcldn

Thanks,
Ed