LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: safety glazing materials
PostPosted: December 23, 2014, 4:56 pm 

So i spoke to the state trooper and it looks like i need a windshield made of safety glazing material. Any one know where i can get something, maybe small that i can cut or modify?

Thanks!

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 23, 2014, 5:57 pm 

Safety glazing, from the state's point of view means laminated glass. Flat laminated glass can be made by most ma and pa glass shops as well as the bigger ones and is inexpensive.

Some builders, in some states, have found a loophole where their state says something like, "If a windshield is provided, it must be of safety glazing" or some such statement. They can get by calling their glass, deflectors, not windshields. It can be argued that if the glass is below the eye-sight line, then it falls under the deflector description, not a windshield. Of course, it depends on the state and the category you are getting the car approved to. It also goes without saying, deflectors don't need defrosters nor wipers.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 23, 2014, 11:20 pm 

Just make one out of lexan.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 9:53 am 
Always Moore!

The guy that inspected mine wouldn't pass it because the glass didn't say AS-1 eventhough it was. If you get a piece cut make sure they get the corner with the etching in case you get a guy like him.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 10:04 am 

I think another option for a one time state inspection would be the receipt from the glass shop that indicates it is safety glass purchased for the vehicle. If the state has yearly inspection like PA, then the added cost of an etch marking will probably be the way to go. Dave W

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 10:44 am 

Here in Ontario, if you can look through it, the windshield must be made from laminated safety glass, have wipers and a DEFROSTER.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 4:20 pm 

Here is the statue... the trooper specically said no plexi or lexan

42-4-229. Safety glazing material in motor vehicles

(1) No person shall sell any new motor vehicle, nor shall any new motor vehicle be registered, unless such vehicle is equipped with safety glazing material of a type approved by the department for any required front windshield and wherever glazing material is used in doors and windows of said motor vehicle. This section shall apply to all passenger-type motor vehicles, including passenger buses and school vehicles, but, in respect to camper coaches and trucks, including truck tractors, the requirements as to safety glazing material shall apply only to all glazing material used in required front windshields and that used in doors and windows in the drivers' compartments and such other compartments as are lawfully occupied by passengers in said vehicles.

(2) The term "safety glazing materials" means such glazing materials as will reduce substantially, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from exterior sources or by these safety glazing materials when they may be cracked or broken.

(3) The department shall compile and publish a list of types of glazing material by name approved by it as meeting the requirements of this section, and the department shall not, after January 1, 1958, register any motor vehicle which is subject to the provisions of this section unless it is equipped with an approved type of safety glazing material, and the department shall suspend the registration of any motor vehicle subject to this section which is found to be not so equipped until it is made to conform to the requirements of this section.

(4) a person shall not operate a motor vehicle on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with a front windshield as provided in this section, except as provided in section 42-4-232 (1) and except for motor vehicles registered as collector's items under section 42-12-301 or 42-12-302 .

(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

It doesnt mention anything about size or height though. I also cannot find this list of approved materials either.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 4:33 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
a person shall not operate a motor vehicle on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with a front windshield as provided in this section, except as provided in section 42-4-232 (1)

Does section 42-4-232 give you any option to eliminate a windshield on your 7 ?

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 6:45 pm 

No it covers motorcycles and electric vehicles

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 6:46 pm 

Aren't motorcycles motor vehicles in CO?

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 6:47 pm 

Fast on the draw

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 9:57 pm 

See below on the motorcycle thing... they are separate in colorado.

Although a motorcycle is a motor vehicle, the general assembly has occasionally treated it as a class apart from other motor vehicles. This was done in 42-2-114, which requires a special licensing for the operators of motorcycles. Love v. Bell, 171 Colo. 27, 465 P.2d 118 (1970).

PostPosted: January 6, 2015, 11:29 pm 

ptrxly wrote:
Here in Ontario, if you can look through it, the windshield must be made from laminated safety glass, have wipers and a DEFROSTER.

I have a pair of brookland "deflectors" on my 7 and want to register it in Ontario. Can anyone confirm if they will work? They were an option on the kit and on 50's British cars in Ontario.