LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kurtis body
PostPosted: November 3, 2021, 10:45 am 

What a great thread! Don't know how I missed it earlier. As an aside, I saw some nice skiing pictures above. Anyone who is serious about skiing or snowboarding owes it to themselves to go to the Canadian Rockies for some Helicopter skiing. Yes it's pricey, but the experience is phenomenal. Imagine 3 days of untracked, waist-deep, untracked dry powder. I can't provide enough superlatives. I've used Selkirk Tangiers out of Revelstoke. It's run by an old Austrian guide family, and lots of their clients are from Europe.

PostPosted: November 3, 2021, 6:36 pm 

Thanks for all the compliments! Hoping to get on the road next summer, but lots to do still.
The original plan was a vintage style Locost, but it morphed into my Kurtis inspired build.

Lonnie - the metal shaping journey has been great. Whenever i think im starting to get the hang of it, a
new challenge comes along. The headrest was my first big challenge, then the nose, then the doors.
Now welding flat panels is my next hurdle. I need to do more gas welding. It is the best way to join
aluminum sheet to minimize distortion, shrinkage and finish work.

Kreb - my 2 friends and I just booked a snowboarding trip to Arlenberg in the Austiran Alps. We went there 2 years ago
and it was spectacular. 6 villages, 88 lifts, over 315 trails. Only $50 euros a day. A week over there staying at a
chalet on the side of the mountain costs the same as 4 days at Jackson Hole.

Sean in CT

PostPosted: November 4, 2021, 1:53 am 

Some Europeans that I've skied with lament the lack of good tree skiing in Europe. They've said that most resorts have wide-open mountains. I don't know, never having done snowsports outside of North America, but they'd often ask the copter pilots to drop them off above the heavily forested sections.

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 7:44 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Sean in CT wrote:
A week over there staying at a
chalet on the side of the mountain costs the same as 4 days at Jackson Hole.

Sean in CT

I've been visiting Jackson since the 70s. I wonder how often they replace the antler arc or if it is the same one maintained all these years. My mind wanders....

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 21, 2021, 12:42 pm 

I came across this thread and recall that you were building in Wray Schelin's shop. So have you tried his mixed gas TIG method for welding aluminum?

PostPosted: November 22, 2021, 7:06 pm 

Vroom - I started in Wrays shop for maybe 6 months. Id pay by the hour to use his stuff and he would guide me. Kinda like a mini-apprenticeship. I built my own equipment and have done most of the build at my shop. Wray is a really nice guy. we stay in touch

I have gas welded small parts. Some I tacked with Tig then gas welded. Others I clamped and gas welded. The gas welds are really easy to finish and get a better/faster result when done right compared with Tig. For me, the biggest advantage to TIG, is that the heat can be adjusted on the fly. With gas, the only way to control the heat while welding, is to move faster or slower. It is really easy to make a mess with gas. Biggest issue with Tig, is that the backside needs to be welded which doubles the distortion and really makes finishing time consuming. About an hour per foot if it goes well.

Kent White has a great gas welding video that I bought. B
ill Longyard does a nice video with Kent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H45-vdnxi4

If metal shaping interests you, David Gardiner in the UK does amazing work with only hand tools. His DVD is worth 10x what it costs:

https://www.classicmetalshaping.co.uk/dvd/

PostPosted: November 22, 2021, 9:28 pm 

Thanks, Sean. Good info. Is the David Gardiner DVD still available? The link you posted worked but the secondary link to order the DVD from the metalshapingzone.com was "closed."

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 22, 2021, 9:40 pm 

Tom - I bought the video about 2 years ago. I wonder if it is on Ebay or amazon (?)
I can not recommend it enough!

PostPosted: November 22, 2021, 10:36 pm 

@Sean in CT
Thanks for the reminder about him, Sean. I've seen several of his videos on YouTube. They've been task specific, so may be outtakes from his DVD.

@seattletom
I'd write the fellow through his website, Tom. That closed website is on another system, not his own website. He may still be selling the DVD directly. If you find out he is, please post here or send me a PM. I'd like to get it too.

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 23, 2021, 2:07 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@Sean in CT
Thanks for the reminder about him, Sean. I've seen several of his videos on YouTube. They've been task specific, so may be outtakes from his DVD.

@seattletom
I'd write the fellow through his website, Tom. That closed website is on another system, not his own website. He may still be selling the DVD directly. If you find out he is, please post here or send me a PM. I'd like to get it too.
I was able to buy a "like new" copy of the original dvd on ebay (Thanks for the idea, Sean.) It was packaged with five other dvd's I'm less interested in. Prior to finding it on ebay, I had emailed David at his shop address. Lonnie, if I hear back I will PM and post what David had to say about availability.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 19, 2022, 9:21 pm 

Beautiful. Great work. I would be happy with a 10th of that skill

PostPosted: January 21, 2022, 1:09 pm 

Very lovely body work and using OA which I never mastered. So I wonder: did you ever try Wray Schelin's mixed gas Ar/He TIG method? Also I wonder if you used filler wire?

Too lazy to learn the torch,

Tim

PostPosted: January 21, 2022, 9:13 pm 

Vroom - I do use Tig with helium/argon or sometimes plain argon if Im too lazy to swap tanks. I use 1/16" 1100 filler but less than for a regular weld.
With Tig , both side have to be welded (no filler on the back tho) so you get 2x the distortion of gas welding. I gas welded some small parts but never the large ones. Def a skill I need to get more proficient at.
If you decide to gas weld aluminum, check out Kent White's store and videos, buy his products, and do what he recommends.
https://www.tinmantech.com

Mohle - thanks for the compliment. I am just an amateur. Metal shaping isn't magic or difficult but it took a while for me to get somewhat proficient, It is time consuming (but enjoyable). Next project will have more sharp lines and other new challenges.
An English wheel is really necessary to get nice panels, otherwise hand tools are all that is needed to get going. I do use the torch to anneal often, but I think it could be done with MAP. I think a bead roller would be machine #2.

Here is a pic from a. few weeks ago. I have since mounted the taillights in recesses and done a lot of inner structure work. Ill post a newer pic this weekend

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 22, 2022, 1:54 am 

Sean in CT wrote:
I am just an amateur. Metal shaping isn't magic or difficult but it took a while for me to get somewhat proficient, It is time consuming (but enjoyable).
Well Sean, you definately have become a self taught artisan. Amazing is all I can say, I wish I had the balls to attempt something like this.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 23, 2023, 7:41 pm 

I havent posted any pics lately, so here are a few.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next