LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MG TF front fenders
PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 7:34 am 

Question for the group. I have always admired the lines of the MG TF and Morgan, particularly the front fenders with their integrated head lights. And with my build coming along I have been thinking forward about the body work.

I prefer the looks of the clamshell fenders over the motorcycle style. I know they cause lift at speed- but I still prefer the look. I've looked around and have not been able to find a set for the Seven for sale.

My question is has anyone looked at using the MG TF front fenders on their build? They can be acquired from time to time. But I'm not sure if the dimensions are even close and if they would look odd on the body.

So, if anyone has tried the TF fenders or knows of a set of clamshell fenders out there, please let me know.

Thom

Post subject: Re: MG TF front fenders
PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 10:12 am 

Jack sells Curtis clamshells at Kinetic although I don't know if they are listed on his web site.

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 8:28 am 

Thax! I did not see the clamshell fenders on his web site. I will reach out to him.

Thom

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 8:12 pm 

Thom,

TF fenders are bulky and would be a bear to match up IMHO. The clam shell option would be far better and they are available without waiting for a TF to show up in you local U-Pick it.

A big plus for calm shells is the reduction of debris in the cockpit and reduced buffeting. As for the lift I doubt you will be going that fast that often for it to be an issue. I have been mistaken in the past. Just ask my wife.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 9, 2020, 9:03 pm 

Can the lift on clamshells be reduced by venting them? Has anyone ever seen any info about this idea?

PostPosted: January 10, 2020, 8:17 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Thom,

TF fenders are bulky and would be a bear to match up IMHO. The clam shell option would be far better and they are available without waiting for a TF to show up in you local U-Pick it.

A big plus for calm shells is the reduction of debris in the cockpit and reduced buffeting. As for the lift I doubt you will be going that fast that often for it to be an issue. I have been mistaken in the past. Just ask my wife.

Cheers,

If our wive's are not here, are we still mistaken? LOL

Warren, I reached out to Jack at Kenetic. He did respond and said he has 2 sizes. "Lotus Seven S2 America & the same style widened 3 inches". He is is out of town for an extended period of time and will get back to me with photos and more info soon. I think I will go in that direction.

Thom

PostPosted: January 10, 2020, 10:10 am 

Thom,

Might be able to help you. My build was resized to Caterham SV standards so cowl is a little longer than book build and cockpit is a little smaller. I also wanted clamshells so bought a set from Caterham. These were sized for an original style car since they don't offer for the SV. Therefore I screwed wood to the fenders to lengthen them and also add some width to the front. Then made molds and had new fenders made from my car.

I still have the original Caterham fenders that could haves the mods removed and prepared for use or I can dig out the molds and get a cost of having a set made for you in the larger size.

If you email me at jbolinger@argresources.us I can send you a photo of the fenders on my car.

Blue skies and green lights, Jim Bolinger (Canton, Ohio)

PostPosted: January 10, 2020, 10:13 am 

Thom, I don't recall anyone here having the headlights embedded into their Locost fenders like the TF did. I like the idea. IIRC, the fenders that Jack sells are typical Lotus fenders that do not have that feature. I would love to see you add the headlights to the gullwing fenders from Jack. Maybe you could even talk him about offering a headlight bucket(s) that would match the Curtis fenders.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 10, 2020, 8:28 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
. . .

Warren, I reached out to Jack at Kenetic. He did respond and said he has 2 sizes. "Lotus Seven S2 America & the same style widened 3 inches". He is is out of town for an extended period of time and will get back to me with photos and more info soon. I think I will go in that direction.

Thom

Thom,

When you get those photos, could you share them here? Those 3" wider ones could be of interest to me.

Thanks,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 12, 2020, 9:23 pm 

I have found that my Indian Chief Motorcycle style fender mounts do a respectable job of keeping debris out of the cockpit. Cut with a router from 1/4" aluminum. Sturdy and so far problem free.

Attachment:
IMG_0418.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0419.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 13, 2020, 8:07 am 

Jim, sent you an email.
Larry, I like the looks. Would maybe thing of adding some louvers to the sheet to assist in venting.

I may look at adding the headlight buckets to Jack's fenders.

Right now, if you happened to see my postings on my build, I have a lot to re-engineer on my front suspension .

Thom

PostPosted: January 13, 2020, 8:29 am 

I cut & pasted a TF fender to a S7. What do you all think?

Attachment:
Lotus S7 with a MG TF fender.jpg.png

Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 13, 2020, 11:07 am 

Looks like it might be worth pursuing! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: January 13, 2020, 12:09 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
I have found that my Indian Chief Motorcycle style fender mounts do a respectable job of keeping debris out of the cockpit. Cut with a router from 1/4" aluminum. Sturdy and so far problem free.

. . . <photos omitted> . . .

Very nice, Larry. I like that approach. Some of the tube brackets I've seen on other Locost 7's look so torchered. :ack:

Are there just the 2 bolts on either end of the black metal strip to hold them on?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 13, 2020, 9:37 pm 

Hi Lonnie,

That black strip is hung from the top ball joint shank that extends below the control arm. Those joints have shanks that extend well below the control arm. So far (about 2K miles) there has been no failures anywhere. One bolt on each end apparently are enough. Didn't want to poke multiple holes in the plate.

Unfortunately I wasn't the one that cut them or designed them. The culprit is back in Iowa. He did a lot of my welding and he also cut out a nifty adapter for my hydraulic throw out bearing.

Cheers