LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aeroscreen for Haynes?
PostPosted: July 14, 2020, 11:07 am 

Hi guys, I'm a new member and new lotus 7 clone (Haynes) owner. Having a blast in the car but getting to a from the fun areas takes highways and I'm experiencing heavy buffetting with my Brookland screens at anything over 60 (I wear a helmet as well). Does anyone make an aeroscreen type windscreen that would fit the Haynes scuttle? I saw some companies mentioned in the UK in early post but none of them seem to be active any longer.

Any direction anyone could provide would be appreciated!

TBone

Attachment:
20200604_204120.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 12:09 am 

Seems the "Book" has instruction on fabricating a full screen.

When/if you decide to part with the current screens I would be very interested in purchase.

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 9:49 am 

Yes, I'm not looking for a windshield, but the small aeroscreen, 3-4" tall lip that runs across the top of the scuttle and redirect air over your head.

Brooklands are readily available at a number of places. They're pretty terrible though. Look great but function poorly.

RichardSIA wrote:
Seems the "Book" has instruction on fabricating a full screen.

When/if you decide to part with the current screens I would be very interested in purchase.

PostPosted: July 15, 2020, 10:51 pm 

I run Brookland screens and have no problems. It looks from your picture that you have something covering your roll bar, the background is partially blocked in your picture when looking thru the roll bar. Are you sure that is not causing the problem?

Graham

PostPosted: July 16, 2020, 12:37 am 

Yes, it reduces the blow back from the rear and I've tried running with it on and off with the effect that it reduces some of the gusting type of buffeting. It's really the higher harmonic buffeting that is really annoying at high highway speeds that I'm trying to reduce. I've tried adjusting the Brooklands both more vertically and the opposite of more laid towards the driver with really minimal effect.

FastG wrote:
I run Brookland screens and have no problems. It looks from your picture that you have something covering your roll bar, the background is partially blocked in your picture when looking thru the roll bar. Are you sure that is not causing the problem?

Graham

PostPosted: July 16, 2020, 11:33 pm 

You're probably best off making one from scratch. Get a piece of 3/16 polycarbonate (lexan) and trim to fit. Keep in mind that the edges will curve down so if you want about 5" height then getting a strip about 6" wide will get you in the ballpark. I left the straight edge to form the top of mine and trimmed the bottom to fit the scuttle based on a cardboard template. Used 1/4" nutserts right into the fiberglass so I can quickly and easily swap between that and my full windshield.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.