LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 23, 2019, 5:34 pm 

Has anyone modified the Jaz fuel cell to take the Miata fuel pump/sender? Was hoping to see some pictures/examples to copy.

PostPosted: April 25, 2019, 6:13 pm 

Can you be a bit more specific on which JAZ cell? Aluminum, plastic, steel...?

I did a hand-made tank where I used a GM fuel cell sender / pump. Cut the lock ring off of a junkyard tank to use for my creation.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: May 7, 2019, 2:27 pm 

Hi!

So I think my question is what does the fuel system should look like. When I tore out the donor car, there was a fuel line to the engine. Aside from that, I am not so sure what I need to get it running now.

I plan to take the miata fuel pump/level, but there are other things attached to the gas tank I am not sure what they are.

PostPosted: May 7, 2019, 9:26 pm 

All out of a '90 NA. The fuel pump tubing was lengthened to put the sock in the bottom well of the tank. The fuel level sender was shortened and bent to fit the depth and run along the side so I could still use a large foam block. I cut the flange down so that it was small and sat flat on the top of the tank. I made a retainer ring to fit inside and panstocked it. All gaskets were made out of butyl rubber from McMasterCarr. The rollover vent was placed on the other side.

One of the tubes is the fuel feed outlet and the other is the return. You should be able to look up what the electrical plug pin-outs correspond to but it's to power the pump and fuel level sender.

Attachment:
Gas Tank.jpg

Attachment:
fuelpump.JPG

Attachment:
fuelsender.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 6:09 pm 

Hi Jaf,

This is perfect. On one side, I can see the pump send and return. The question i I have is the how does those look after the tank. Does the send go directly to the fuel damper to the engine? Then where does the return come from.

On the left hand side, you said that's a roll over vent. What is that for and what does it connect to/look like

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 10:13 pm 

thehiddenproject wrote:
Hi Jaf,

This is perfect. On one side, I can see the pump send and return. The question i I have is the how does those look after the tank. Does the send go directly to the fuel damper to the engine? Then where does the return come from.

On the left hand side, you said that's a roll over vent. What is that for and what does it connect to/look like

Feed/Send............Out of the fuel pump into fuel filter, then into fuel rail.
Return..........Out of pressure regulator on fuel rail then all the way back to the tank.

The vent valve is fit to the top of the tank then into the check valve.........then I sent it out into hose that just goes to nowhere (atmosphere). You should sent it into a charcoal canistor but that thing weighs a ton. I'm sure Colin Chapman would approve and since I'm licensed as a 1961 Lotus 7 I think I'm good.

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 1:48 pm 

Hi Jaf!

Thanks for your replies. These all help a lot. I looked at my fuel tank and discovered something. It seems that the fuel send goes to my filter, then come back to my tank. Along this path, theres a Tee that splits the fuel line and goes to the engine.

I looked at some diagrams online, it seems theres a fuel regulator in the fuel tank and a fuel dampener near the engine. Does this make sense to you?

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 1:50 pm 

Actually I think I found a picture that explains it all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.