LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 29, 2021, 9:18 pm 

I really enjoyed watching this series on TV. Has anyone bought the book yet? If so, is it worth getting?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 31, 2021, 8:44 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Only you can decide that.

I didn't see any videos but found a few pics online. I'll probably buy one for entertainment but I doubt it is a how to. Looks like he started with an mgb subframe at the front, cut away to the minimum, added a quick change axle with a four link and the pinion offset to the right as far as practical to clear the driver for lower seating, must of used cv joints instead of guibos or ujoints due to the high operating angle, an expansion tank/filler, probably a civic rad, not sure about the engine/trans. Pretty straight forward, no re-engineering the suspension except for the 4 link. Aluminum rings that look like aluminum drums hide traditional rear discs. Interesting though. :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 31, 2021, 9:07 am 

I'm just curious if the book follows his TV build or if it is based on his kit car offering. They are decidedly different vehicles. Personally, I don't particularly care for either car for a street car. The TV show was interesting though. However, it seemed to me to follow of a rich-boy's fun project than a how-to-do-it show. Nothing against Ant.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 1, 2021, 10:25 am 

Quote:
Looks like he started with an mgb subframe at the front, cut away to the minimum, added a quick change axle with a four link and the pinion offset to the right as far as practical to clear the driver for lower seating

He started with a clapped out MG TD, and cut the rear bit of the chassis away. The rear axle is an Alfa unit that was re-built/fabricated with new tubes, halfshafts, and hubs (Ford based I think) to get the desired offset.

As for the book, the picture looks like the TD based car. I've ordered a copy, so I should be able to tell you which car it is in the next few days.

Rod

Edit: The book arrived and it is the TD based special. I had a quick look through the book (it arrived fairly late in the evening), I think it's a decent book, though I wouldn't use it as a the basis to build a car. It deals mostly with old tech, but does give some insight into dry sumping an Alfa twincam and how to cut down/modify an Alfa rear axle. But, i'm now wanting to find a TD chassis.... only kidding, I have no space to work on anything these days.

PostPosted: November 2, 2021, 10:33 am 

I recoil every time they call someone "master-this" or "master-that" because A - they usually aren't (someone who is merely competent can look like a wizard if you don't know what they're doing) and B - most people whom I'd give that description to are modest and don't feel inclined to trumpet it to the world.

Now that I've unbunched my panties, yes, that is a good show.

PostPosted: November 2, 2021, 10:43 am 

cs3tcr wrote:
Quote:
Looks like he started with an mgb subframe at the front, cut away to the minimum, added a quick change axle with a four link and the pinion offset to the right as far as practical to clear the driver for lower seating

He started with a clapped out MG TD, and cut the rear bit of the chassis away. The rear axle is an Alfa unit that was re-built/fabricated with new tubes, halfshafts, and hubs (Ford based I think) to get the desired offset.

As for the book, the picture looks like the TD based car. I've ordered a copy, so I should be able to tell you which car it is in the next few days.

Rod

Edit: The book arrived and it is the TD based special. I had a quick look through the book (it arrived fairly late in the evening), I think it's a decent book, though I wouldn't use it as a the basis to build a car. It deals mostly with old tech, but does give some insight into dry sumping an Alfa twincam and how to cut down/modify an Alfa rear axle. But, i'm now wanting to find a TD chassis.... only kidding, I have no space to work on anything these days.

Thanks for the update.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 2, 2021, 12:18 pm 

Quote:

Rod

You're sure I can't entice you. I've got a spare rolling chassis available.
Cheers,
Roy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 2, 2021, 3:35 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
Quote:

Rod

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions of the book. I had no expectations of it being how-to book on how to build it. I really enjoyed the video series of this build, but I suspect that the book might not offer anything new that was already in the videos.

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 8:02 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

For those of us who have not seen the series, I found the youtube play list for the build:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZTTMntyOZ-

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 8:35 am 

kreb wrote:
I recoil every time they call someone "master-this" or "master-that" because A - they usually aren't (someone who is merely competent can look like a wizard if you don't know what they're doing) and B - most people whom I'd give that description to are modest and don't feel inclined to trumpet it to the world.

That's right there with the word "Expert" for me. If you divide the word as pronounced it is "Ex Spert" as in a "has-been that has shot his w*ad". :lol:

Thom

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 9:20 am 

BostonWill wrote:
kreb wrote:

That's right there with the word "Expert" for me. If you divide the word as pronounced it is "Ex Spert" as in a "has-been that has shot his w*ad". :lol:

Thom

I have always been told that: "X" is an unknown. And "spurt" is a drip under pressure. So an expert is an "unknown drip under pressure". :lol:

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 12:17 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Just watched the series. Entertaining but not a how to and a few improvements come to mind.

The panhard should be level and parallel to the axle. Extending a post out the back of the axle tube with a short drop brkt on the opposite rail makes sense.

When severely shortening an axle, it’s a good idea to gun drill to provide some give/twist in order to save the splines. It is a problem that popped up with legends cars.

The shift linkage could be improved greatly to reduce the gate and select travel closer to the actual shift lever travel plus the gate is rotated ccw which could be countered with the linkage.

EDIT: they did adapt a bolt on ujoint to the front as well with a telescopic shaft! :cheers:

Mark Evans is a veterinarian and his videos are much more how to. Where is the bloke from Stoke when ya need him? I'll probably buy the book anyway. :cheers:

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 5, 2021, 10:07 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
it’s a good idea to gun drill to provide some give/twist

Some more explanation please. What's gun drill? Thanks.

PostPosted: November 6, 2021, 8:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Drilling out the center of the axle like machining a rifle barrel (not to be confused with the rifling/spiral cut) so the axle will twist more for a given load, to save hammering on the splines. Shortening an axle has the same effect as making it thicker. A little shorter/thicker is not usually a problem for the splines. A custom axle from a more spring-like material such as 300m can prevent axle and spline failures that could also total the car or worse.

LxWxHt