LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 11:03 am 

Yesterday we purchased a new car. We traded in our 10-year old car. Before going to the dealer, we got 2 on-line quotes. One from Carvana and one from CarMax. Both of the online quotes were subject to them inspecting the car. With that info in hand, Off to the dealer we went. The dealer offered me $3500 trade in. We told them it was a non-starter. W had 2 quotes already. They said that they would match the CarMax quote after we got the car inspected and had a firm quote by CarMax. This surprised me. The CarMax was the higher of the 2 quotes too. A CarMax only about 1 mile down the road from the dealer, so off we went. We waited about 5 minutes before the appraiser came for the car. About 25 minutes later we had a firm quote in hand. It was exactly the same as the online number we already had. We could have asked for a check and they would have given us one. Back to the dealer and they adjusted their trade-in value of my car. The dealer's original trade-in value was $3500, the new trade in value was $7,800, more than twice the dealer's first offer. A half hour's time got us an extra $4,300.

I would highly recommend the CarMax process for anyone wanting to sell outright or trading in for a new car. It was fast, easy, and more than fair.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 11:30 am 

:cheers:
Can't complain about that. Plus the tax incentive of a trade in vs cash down.

We had a good pre-crazy-market experience with Vroom (TX Direct Auto, here) when we sold my Mercedes. Fair value with a pretty lax 'inspection' process (literally looked at it in the parking lot, no mechanical inspection. And a check in hand.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 5:24 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I would highly recommend the CarMax process for anyone wanting to sell outright or trading in for a new car. It was fast, easy, and more than fair.

Glad to hear that CarMax is still performing well. We purchased a car for my daughter when she graduated from college in California 14 yrs ago. We had to fly from Chicago to California to do the deal. And we were not able to get there for a week. The Sales Mgr held the specific car for us until we could get there to inspect it. We traded in her old car and they offered what we expected. It was one of the best car buying experiences we ever had at a dealership! In and out in less than 3 hrs!

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 8:34 pm 

When I was in the trade we would normally match the Carmax price minus the tax, I think 6.5% at the time. Every now and then Carmax would come up with a crazy price.

Graham