LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 27, 2023, 5:15 pm 

I'm so pissed!! We switched all of our cars over to 'AAA' auto insurance last year-- all was well, as I paid the annual premium up front.. It just rolled over (now it's year 2), and we're being charged a 'finance fee' of $46 for the privilege of making monthly payments.. $46.00 a month, EVERY MONTH.. You have got to be kidding?!!

They're not kidding.. I'll be cancelling my auto, my home, and my AAA membership (roadside assistance), all because of these silly games and junk fees :BH: ...This $46/mo is a 'normal fee' they tell me.. Not for me it's not!! F**K you AAA!..

So.. I know these things are highly subjective, but do you have an auto insurer that you use that has reasonable premiums and doesn't play junk-fee games? I don't like being jerked around, and this stupid, stupid policy has just set me off..

We have several cars, good driving records, and I'll even bundle homeowners if it makes sense..

Recommendations?

Thanks-

--ccrrunner

**my project/ play car will be insured with Grundy.. (I had my 63 Volvo P1800 with Grundy @ agreed upon value.. they were wonderful to deal with)

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 28, 2023, 11:54 pm 

While I can kind of see why they'd charge a fee for paying monthly vs paying ever 6/12 months, that monthly fee is absolutely absurd.

We've been happy enough with State Farm. Admittedly though, we don't pay monthly. So I couldn't tell you if they do the same or not.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 29, 2023, 10:36 am 

I have had State Farm for over well over 40 years. They have always had a discount for paying annually, a bit less of a discount for semi-annually. Monthly was always the most expensive way to pay. Looking at the other way, the annual price is the price, paying monthly or semiannually costs more. I cannot speak to how much those discounts are. I have not seen a line item on my semiannual bill with the title "finance fee". With last year's inflation costs in mind, I am not surprised that insurance costs in general have increased dramatically.

SF has always had competitive rates for us. I just checked my upcoming rates. My insurance rate will increase 57% and 63% on my 2 cars. Maybe it will be time to look harder.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 29, 2023, 1:11 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

We dropped State Farm entirely after they refused to pay out for a water pipe that failed under the slab, saying that the water pipe is outside the home, and thus not covered. We've been with AAA for about 20 years and I'll have to check about these monthly charges. I don't remember seeing anything about that, though we pay in a lump sum.

Last edited by KB58 on January 30, 2023, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 30, 2023, 11:59 am 

State farm was great till I had to make a total loss not at fault accident claim, and my agent was removed from the equation. "Corporate handles everything, sorry."
Couldn't do anything except call the number, wait, they always called while I was at work or asleep (night shift at the time), wouldn't talk with my attorney who was fielding all the stuff that resulted from it, and eventually rolled over and paid the claims for the people that caused the wreck and the other driver that got t-boned by them... And put me down as "At Fault" in the insurance database, against the police report.
They did pay off the loan though.

Then... They asked if I wanted to buy the car back, I said yes (had just put in a crate engine a few months prior), and they literally just had the tow company drop it in my driveway. Sideways. Blocking me in. :BH:

Great agent, horrible TwuntWiffles on corporate side of things.

PostPosted: January 30, 2023, 1:48 pm 

We just shopped ours.
We have been with an independent agent for years, that recently retired.
Had my agent that we have our homeowner's through run our cars & he came back at $700/yr cheaper.
Ran it through my [then] current agent & she was able to almost match it, after having to ask her to run it because 'they check it every year' :roll:

Needless to say, we switched agents, and carriers, from Safeco to Progressive.
Then bought a new car & put our premiums almost back to where they were before. :lol:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: January 30, 2023, 2:08 pm 

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.. I guess in the end this fee could be avoided if I was to pay the annual premium all at once-- I wish I had known that all along, as I would never knowingly sign up to pay over $400 dollars for convenience..

It's like when I learned about what hotels call 'resort fees,' which are not to be confused with the nightly rate, but is instead a tacked-on fee that should have been included with the original quote.. JUST TELL ME WHAT IT COSTS! THE 'REAL' COST!

I'm sure I've crossed the threshold into angry old man territory, and in true angry old man form, I don't care.. This is a dumb way to run a business..

Get off my lawn! :mrgreen:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: January 31, 2023, 11:40 am 

ccrunner wrote:
I'm sure I've crossed the threshold into angry old man territory, and in true angry old man form, I don't care.. This is a dumb way to run a business..

Get off my lawn! :mrgreen:

--ccrunner

I'm in my late 30s & am right there with you on that.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: January 31, 2023, 4:48 pm 

Late to the topic, but my insurer charges about $4.00 per installment payment. So if you make 2 payments it is +$8.00 and so on. Policy term is 6 months. Allstate isn't bad.
Waltj

PostPosted: February 1, 2023, 9:40 am 

My wife and I have been with Allstate for 45 years. Not a single complaint. They've handled claims appropriately when needed and our rates are fair.