LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 7, 2012, 6:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
Busted.
Yes, I've made the subframe and spliter. Made the molds and produced the parts for both sides. Need to do some reinforcement, add some duct holes and finishing.

I think several of us would like to see that, if you don't mind sharing...
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 4:20 pm 

This is the current progress on a splitter and "new bodywork" that may be added to close the gaps. Please excuse the unfinished edges and mold residue. The wood plank is just for mockup. I haven't decided yet on the material for the splitter. There will be a piece that covers the gap under the nosecone and some duct openings to feed cooling air.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 6:26 pm 
We are Slotus!

Nice! I understand it's a "work in progress" but it looks good! Very "Donkervoort at the Ring" looking.

Think SCCA will allow it??? For very long???

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 7:39 pm 

I don't think that anybody will feel threatened with me driving the car. One of the other 7s with a competitive driver will have to add similar aero and surpass the current frontrunners before this allowance gets reconsidered. (But realistically, it's not worth 5 seconds a lap.)
I thought it looks more like squished Jeep. :D

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 9:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Ron-
Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine... (This game is more fun in a co-ed environment.)
Attachment:
4 24 11 Head On.JPG

Also a work-in-progress. It's foam core, which is in process of getting covered/laminated with fiberglass. It's not build to D or E Mod rules, it's built to resemble a Mallock Clubman racer from the 60's. It will run in the "Specials" class at hillclimbs and likely in A Mod at local autocross events. I don't really care what class I'm in at autox events, it's just fun...

Keep us posted on your progress. I like the looks of that "squished Jeep"!

JD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 9, 2012, 5:56 pm 

Good point JD, we do need to frequently ask ourselves: "are we having fun yet?"
The sun came out today, so I took the opportunity for a better pic.

PostPosted: January 10, 2012, 7:31 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Ron-
How do you get in and out of that beastie? Those sidepods look wide, and the roll cage is kinda low, and there's a nice, warm exhaust pipe there too...

I built a "step" on the outside of the frame that is at the same level as the top of the sidepods. I step up, and then over the low front hoop. But then, I'm also a "Large Primate"...

PostPosted: January 10, 2012, 10:50 am 

I get in through the opening in the cage above the seat. The step is provided by the tube on the back that supports the diffuser. Yes, the avoidance of the hot area is a routine part of seven ownership.

PostPosted: January 10, 2012, 9:53 pm 

I very much like what you have done with the car to this point, as well as where you're taking it. I've had many thoughts about closing in the front for a track car and find yours to be quite elegant in its simplicity, and surprisingly appealing visually. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: July 26, 2012, 4:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Bump-Bump! (Who's there?) All us forum guys that wanna see how the project is coming along... Anything to report?

PostPosted: July 26, 2012, 4:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

seven13bt wrote:
Good point JD, we do need to frequently ask ourselves: "are we having fun yet?"
The sun came out today, so I took the opportunity for a better pic.

Looking at that picture (here's hoping the picture follows the quote) it's amazing how much cockpit space we're giving away. Just think of how much easier it would be to fit the tunnel or seats in.

EDIT: the picture didn't follow so it's the picture 5 posts above of the car outside in the sun evening up his tan lines. (that's definitely not a girl!)

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 27, 2012, 10:34 am 

Sorry JD, nothing has been done on the splitter/nose. Maybe your prod will result in some activity. Efforts on this car have been on engine changes and efi tuning when data are aquired from each autoX. (Youtube search for "rotary lotus autox")
However, you asked earlier how scca might feel about the pods. In response to my request for clarification on my interpretation of the "radiator ducting allowance", the MAC/SEB said "probably not legal at a national event". They couldn't state which way that a protest committee would rule on the "recognizability". It was also suggested that if I put openings in the bottom of the pods, such that they could not increase downforce, it would improve the acceptability. They noted that acceptance of the modifications at local events was fine.

Ron

PostPosted: July 27, 2012, 5:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

I hear ya, Ron... Got to have the motor right before the aero matters all that much. Well, good luck with the engine tuning, and keep us posted as your time allows!
JDK

PostPosted: July 29, 2012, 10:57 pm 

Im lovn that car..hopefully mine might look similar to that..cool side pods and extra wide rear rubber :)
Kiwi Dave :cheers:

PostPosted: November 4, 2014, 6:21 pm 

So, I didn't get around to getting some in-car video until the last event of the season, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuNft2iBPc

The sound doesn't come close to the real experience. Next year I'll try recording on the right side of the car with the open back on the case.

There are many more videos at my youtube page: seven13bt

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn5nX-BHJEv7DwRb9qcTtVg

Last edited by seven13bt on July 18, 2016, 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next