LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: David's Homage
PostPosted: November 8, 2012, 9:43 pm 

So it is licensed and on the road I guess I can post something here. I liked the way Raceral posted his so I'm going to copy him a bit. The book used was Uncle Ron's and the chassis is book sized except I made it 1 inch taller to help accommodate the 4AGE motor. That said I used the Collins oversized chassis plans for the front and rear frame designs with a little bit of SkinnyG thrown in. So here it is.

Chassis as stated and
Aluminum floor bonded with Sikaflex and riveted with 3/16 structural aircraft rivets. Panel behind seats done the same way
I used steel plating for the front of the pedal box and the same on the passenger side
Tunnel is offset 1 inch to the right to line up with offset nose on the Toyota differential

Engine:
Toyota 4AGE I am guessing about 160hp
Decked and head shaved
Colt Cams
HKS springs
New guides and three angle valve job
Weber DCOE 40 carbs Found on Ebay in Greece, manifold on Ebay from San Antonio Texas
Ford EDIS with trigger wheel
Megajolt lite timing
Oversized pistons and rings
polished crank and weight matched rods
new bearings
ARP studs and bolts

Steering
I really didn't like the idea of modifying a steering rack so I looked for racks that fit the dimensions needed. It turns out that there are all kinds of racing racks out there that are the perfect size. I ended up with a Southwest Speed rack that was brand new for $125 bucks on Ebay.
A couple of Flaming River U-joints and thick-wall 3/4inch seamless tubing. The steering wheel was from a second hand store, 5 bucks.
Suspension
I decided early on to go with rod ends rather than bushings ( this is a toy)
Jack at Kinetics had nice looking front arms so I went with them. Unfortunately they are set up for Miata ball joints that have a really weird shape and as my spindles are Cortina like I had to modify slightly. they are really nice parts though. Geometry really followed the book and I made up a string and coroplast computer that worked perfectly for getting the parts sized.
QA-1 shocks and springs
350 lbs front (quite and acute angle there)
150 lbs rear
rear axle Toyota corolla GTS twincam rear trailing arms opened up a bit to accommodate the disc brakes I do have a lsd pumkin but I need to shorten my axles to use it, next year.
I haven’t installed any anti roll bars yet but I did add brackets for them.
Rear links and panhard rod are all aluminum sourced through Jack at kinetics.
The rest
Fuel tank is steel, very book like
Electric fuel pump (The carbs only need 2 or 3 lbs of pressure)
Tail lights from Jack
Head lights are hotrod things
All the rest are finds some where
Gauges are Autometer Golden Oldies that I bought from an other member
Headlight and signal switches are from England, very old school
Brooklands windscreens (It is a toy) Although a winter project is to do a new scuttle for heater and windshield
Honda civic aluminum rad
Odyssey battery
Nose, and fenders from the Curtis’s. My wife and I did a road trip down to pick them up and meeting the Curtis’s and seeing his bronze welded space frames was a real delight.
Italian air horns…..
Wheels are from my donor GTS Twincam that I cleaned and painted my plan is for wire wheels next spring. Then it will officially go from a Locost to a Highcost
Cost…. If I hadn’t rebuilt the motor I would have come in under ten thousand bucks. With the motor I’m pushing thirteen. Cams cost money, so do four valves per cylinder and pistons and let’s not even talk about machine shop charges.
There you have it . It has been a cool project and meeting everyone on the forum has been a real pleasure and a huge help. I’m looking forward to next summer here in British Columbia and meeting more people face to face.
I will still be around the forum though ‘cause it’s not really finished.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: David's Homage
PostPosted: November 9, 2012, 1:19 am 

Woohoo! I get to be the first to say, David, that car looks great!

I'm already looking forward to next year's Vancouver Island blat. I trust you'll be there?

PostPosted: November 9, 2012, 8:36 am 
The voice of reason

You have done a great job! It looks very nice, I hope you get many enjoyable miles. :cheers:

I'll bet that every one of these cars that gets finished and driven inspires a couple more...

PostPosted: November 9, 2012, 9:32 pm 

I really hope that my build log as well as this page does help a few to finish or start one of these remarkable cars. This is such a great online community, truly the interweb at it's best. I do plan on getting a video up and some more pics, sometime soon.
David

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 8:42 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi David-
That is one cool lookin' ride! Congratulations on finishing the project, building your on car! Wow! How many people can say that? Ain't you cool... :mrgreen:
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 5:42 pm 

Awesome, another BC car on the road. Congratulations on a job well done. :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: November 16, 2012, 4:12 am 

Glad to see another BC Locost that is ready for the road! Perhaps we'll meet up next summer with the cars.

Mark

PostPosted: October 11, 2013, 10:57 pm 

Been really busy moving to our house on the lake but I thought I'd update just for fun. "Colin" (for obvious reasons) in front of his new home.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 21, 2016, 11:58 pm 

So after a couple of years on the road I thought I would add a roll bar. Not sure why 'cause I don't race it or track it( at least not legally) Still not sure about the looks of it. I still haven't put the wire wheels on it as the cost is a bit unlocost ($2500). If I could find some nice alloy wheels it would be good, unfortunately 14 inch wheels are going the route of the Dodo. When I first got on the road my two concerns where brake pedal pressure and how quick the steering was(less than two turns lock to lock). The brake pressure is pretty high but the pedal is rock solid and I can lock the wheels up. The steering is super fast, very go kart like (I raced karts a lot) so I found it very comfortable. Tracks like a champ with very little perceptible bump steer. all in all I'm very happy with it. Strictly nice weather drive which is fine with me.......

PostPosted: April 2, 2016, 12:24 am 

You would fit right in on game day in Green Bay. I love the vintage touches the car came out great. How do you like your Brooklands? I have been Eyeing them up for my own build.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: April 7, 2016, 11:54 pm 

Hey Steve,
The Brooklands are fine, they deflect the bugs and pebbles but I wear goggles all the time as well. A lot of people complain about buffeting around the standard windshield and that doesn't seem to happen with the screens. Of course if it starts to rain you either get wet or look for something to park under.

Nice build by the way!

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 9:43 pm 

Thanks for the feed back. I did come up with a design that I like and will run with it. I so badly want to drive in one with your screens. Oh well I am in this far just do it.
Wayne Carini's Moal is what I am using for my window inspiration.

Happy motoring!

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 4:40 am 

Good to see another BC'er here!

BTW, it looks like your wheel bolt pattern is 4 X 100mm - if so, there's still lots to chose from. Miata wheels are 4 X 100mm, and there are some really nice wheels & tires in 14" and 15" sizes. I have a spare set of 14" Miata wheels & tires in my shop, at the moment...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 12:12 am 

zetec7 wrote:
Good to see another BC'er here!

BTW, it looks like your wheel bolt pattern is 4 X 100mm - if so, there's still lots to chose from. Miata wheels are 4 X 100mm, and there are some really nice wheels & tires in 14" and 15" sizes. I have a spare set of 14" Miata wheels & tires in my shop, at the moment...

Alas it is 4x114mm pattern and getting rarer by the day.....

PostPosted: May 12, 2016, 12:14 am 

holy crap...... I see I've been on this forum for ten years........ Do I get a prize?