LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: Re: MGB 7 tribute
PostPosted: February 25, 2020, 1:32 pm 

dfdahl wrote:
Very nice build. Reminded me very much of my own plus I like your philosophy of lower power and vintage. Great job. Always nice to see another canuck here. I have only been to Windsor once but it was a great trip and every time I buy ketchup I'm reminded of it and of the Ford museum in Detroit. Again nice build, enjoy.

Yup, we both had the same line of thinking. Windsor is a great car town, known as the automotive capital of Canada. In the summer there is all kinds of car shows and gatherings and you will see on the streets anything form a rat rod to Ferrari. And there is the annual Detroit Dream Cruise that draws a lot of Windsor cars.

PostPosted: November 12, 2020, 11:58 am 

Attachment:
119207622_10216674203799146_4884330607208497594_o.jpg
Quick update, got it insured and licensed this spring and after 1,500 miles on the road time to put her away for the winter. Had to sort out couple minor electrical issues and after carb tuning and timing and brake bleeding couple times she ran great. It's been a lot of fun blasting around!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 12, 2020, 12:50 pm 

I love it. Color is the same as my locost. I wish I had left more of mine bare aluminum as I have grown to like that look more and more, but oh well. I only left my hood naked. Time to go get it dirty!
Paul

PostPosted: November 12, 2020, 5:03 pm 

That looks great! So good to hear you got it sorted, licensed, and the opportunity to put some miles on her. Those miles are smiles.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: November 27, 2020, 3:04 pm 

Great looking build ! Good to see another Ontario car licensed and on the road.I am in the Sault Ste Marie area and hope to be driving mine this coming spring. Did you have any problems with licencing and the safety inspection.

PostPosted: November 30, 2020, 12:21 pm 

goin2slow wrote:
Great looking build ! Good to see another Ontario car licensed and on the road.I am in the Sault Ste Marie area and hope to be driving mine this coming spring. Did you have any problems with licencing and the safety inspection.

Thanks "goin2slow". After getting the affidavit notorized had to spend couple hours at the Service Ontario to register the car, took them a while to figure out that it should be registered as "home built", not safetied. Luckily I have a good friend who did the safety so he was not too concerned about the car lacking the center stop light, reverse light and windshield de-mister. After getting an appraisal and safety certificate it was back to Service Ontario to register the car as safetied while I was chasing insurance which turned out to be the biggest hassle. Basically nobody will insure a home built car so had to go with facility insurance and because my agent did not want to take that on took me forever to find an agent due to the covid situation. It's about $200/month when on the road and $50/month when in storage. Once I got the insurance certificate I was able to get the plates.

PostPosted: November 30, 2020, 1:00 pm 

Have you looked at Intact?
https://apps.intactinsurance.com/waa/?province=ab&language=en
I'm paying just over $400/yr at an appraised value of $28,500

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 30, 2020, 1:57 pm 

horchoha wrote:

Hey "horchoha", thanks for the lead, I'll check them out.

PostPosted: March 24, 2021, 11:14 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Fantastic looking car! Definitely a source of inspiration.

PostPosted: March 30, 2021, 11:44 am 

Raccoonman wrote:
Fantastic looking car! Definitely a source of inspiration.

Thanks Raccoonman, my aim was to replicate the original 7 as much as possible but there are lot of people here doing some pretty cool things. That's the beauty of it, doing it it your way!

Zoran

PostPosted: March 30, 2021, 12:00 pm 

ZoranJ wrote:
horchoha wrote:

Hey "horchoha", thanks for the lead, I'll check them out.

Well horchoha, it's a no go with Intact. According to the guy I spoke to at their Ontario headquarters they don't insure home builts...oh well looks I'm stuck with facility.

Zoran

PostPosted: February 11, 2022, 1:34 pm 

Fantastic job, it's just gorgeous.

PostPosted: February 13, 2022, 12:47 pm 

I am getting close to mounting my front clamshell fenders. Do you have a photo of the fender support? I see the bolt on top of the fender. I assume it is a bent (formed) flat steel support that matches the curve of the fender and bolts to the body?

Thom

PostPosted: February 13, 2022, 3:23 pm 

[*]
nick47 wrote:
Fantastic job, it's just gorgeous.

Thanks "nick47", appreciate the comment and the inspiration your build had provided.

PostPosted: February 13, 2022, 4:08 pm 

Attachment:
bracket.jpg
[quote="BostonWill"]I am getting close to mounting my front clamshell fenders. Do you have a photo of the fender support? I see the bolt on top of the fender. I assume it is a bent (formed) flat steel support that matches the curve of the fender and bolts to the body?

Thom,

The bracket followed the original Lotus design, bent tube with a flat strip welded to it following the shape of the clamshell. The tube is mounted to the frame with a pinch sleeve allowing side adjustment and also pivoting fore and aft so that the clamshell can be adjusted. Clamshell is secured with a carriage bolt though a clearance hole in the flat strip. Also, I added another hole at the end of the strip and used one of the mounting screws for the side marker for additional mounting.
I have attached the picture of what I fabricated but in retrospect should have either run the tube further along the strip or added some side ribs on either side of the strip to stiffen it. The clamshells shake a little bit when engine is idling otherwise when driving they are fine.

Zoran

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.