LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post subject: Re: MGB 7 tribute
PostPosted: January 2, 2020, 7:35 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
I kind of like the curved glass, but it seems a bit tall?
Cheap enough to risk cutting down?

Yeah it's a bit all, blame my 6'1" height or my fat head...didn't want my head sticking up past the frame nor the frame in my line of sight so I waited to build the seats before setting the windshield height flush with the top of my head and that's what it ended up at. Actually finding a place to cut the glass for me was a major headache, wound up shipping the template out of town so all in cost ended up a whole lot more than I expected.

PostPosted: January 2, 2020, 9:42 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
Beautiful work! I also like the color! The rear mounted spare tire is a very nice touch. Noticed you have what looks like SU HS4 carbs. What year was the motor? Could we see a couple of close ups of the interior? I am just at the point of designing the motor mounts for my MGB based build. DO you have any more photos of your design for them?

Aren't we a needy lot- asking for more shots and details. But we like viewing good work, and great work like yours demands more admiration.

Thom

Thanks Thom and no worries, happy to share. This forum has been a great resource for me. The id plate puts the motor as a 1969 but it was already desmoged. Not sure if the HS4 carbs were original to the motor, they did need rebuilding mainly due to the slop of the throttle shafts in the bushings and the condition of the jets. Reamed out the old bushings and put new ones in along with new shafts and butterflies without the little poppet valve. Also replaced the jets, needles, gaskets, floats and needle valves. I have attached pics of the motor and tranny mounts, I got all new heavy duty isolators. I wound up not using the second plate of the MGB mounts (recoil plate), which is supposed to limit fore and aft movement of the engine, and instead added a link and a couple rod ends mounted on the rear engine plate and frame. Few pics of the interior attached.

Zoran

Attachment:
IMAG0333.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0338.jpg

Attachment:
20160612_133948.jpg

Attachment:
20180701_115428.jpg

Attachment:
20171007_210018.jpg

Attachment:
20171022_185809.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 2, 2020, 10:07 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Thanks for posting those. Very nice.

Any plans for a heater or top? I can post pics of the traditional heater setup but I don't think it would be worth the effort; basically an mg/triumph heater box with no controls, just open ended, on it's side, sucking from the tunnel above trans then dumping into the foot wells with no defrost or dash vents. No remote controls, just a faucet knob on the back of the engine for open or closed. Much better off with either a diy blow thru or one for a kit or actual caterham.

I have some pics of the original top system. Basically a tube that forms the B pillar is hinged above the coilover, bent to match the rear body curve and lay on top. The second tube hinges off the first about 3 inches above the main tube. The second tube lays inboard of the first with the same curvature. Fabric straps rivet to the tubes and run between the main and secondary tubes and from the secondary down to the rear body to set the angles, which are about 45deg forward of vertical for the secondary is 90deg to the main. There are seven snaps around the windscreen with the outboard snaps a couple inches below the row. The fabric top is three pieces. This topic may provide some ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6451

Hey MV8, thanks for all that info. Didn't bother with the heater or top figuring it would be strictly a summer and fair weather car but that could change down the road. Although, got to admit now that I have managed to figure out how to get in and out of the car not sure how I would manage that with the top on. There must be technique for that, lol.

Zoran

PostPosted: January 2, 2020, 10:27 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Very, very nice build. It's unusual in a good way.

But geez, we've been getting all these "stealth" builders recently. I think you may be the third one in the last few months. What gives with that? Are you guys a secret subculture within the CIA or something? Come on out and embarrass yourselves as you go along like the rest of us!

Cheers,

Hi, Lonnie-S appreciate the comments, hey I know I almost feel guilty not having done a build log but man how do you guys do that? I mean find the time to build and blog! If I tried that it would have turned into a ten year build! Seriously though, it seemed to me that just about any imaginable topic had been discussed to great lengths and really no point in jumping into the fray. But hey, besides all the banter we wind up doing what we do our own way damned the torpedos or better yet stealth bombers! :BH:

Zoran

PostPosted: January 3, 2020, 8:18 am 

Zoran, thanks for the motor /trans mount photos! You actually went in the direction that I was thinking for the motor mounts. Except you actually simplified from what I had in mind. I was thinking 3 tubes and you did two. As I review your design, I think yours is more than adequate. I was trying to triangle it and forgot the block itself is the third structural plane (actually fourth if you think about the resistance to twist with its mass). And the trans mount is very clever and neatly done.

I relate to your need for a tall windshield, I am 6'2" with most of my height in my torso. So I am going to have a similar issue and need for a tall shield. As asked before, it appears to be curved. Do you know which base windshield they used to mfg your shield?

Also like the clean and more original appearance of your dashboard. Very much like the 1st Sevens.

Thom

PostPosted: January 3, 2020, 9:23 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
Zoran, thanks for the motor /trans mount photos! You actually went in the direction that I was thinking for the motor mounts. Except you actually simplified from what I had in mind. I was thinking 3 tubes and you did two. As I review your design, I think yours is more than adequate. I was trying to triangle it and forgot the block itself is the third structural plane (actually fourth if you think about the resistance to twist with its mass). And the trans mount is very clever and neatly done.

I relate to your need for a tall windshield, I am 6'2" with most of my height in my torso. So I am going to have a similar issue and need for a tall shield. As asked before, it appears to be curved. Do you know which base windshield they used to mfg your shield?

Also like the clean and more original appearance of your dashboard. Very much like the 1st Sevens.

Thom

Thom, they cut the glass from a sheet of automotive 6 mm thick laminated safety glass using my template which I used to form the frame with as per book method. I formed the frame from 1/2 inch aluminum channel which is about 3/8 inside the channel. With glazing tape the glass fit nicely in the channel. Here is a pic of the template and forming tool I used.

Zoran

Attachment:
20170507_142322.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 3, 2020, 9:45 pm 

Thanks for the windshield detail.

I went ahead and assembled my motor supports today. Your approach led me to this design.

Attachment:
IMG_0733.JPG

Thom

PostPosted: January 3, 2020, 10:58 pm 

What keeps the edge of channel from taco'ing when you pulled it around the corner? Is it that soft?

PostPosted: January 4, 2020, 8:45 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
Thanks for the windshield detail.

I went ahead and assembled my motor supports today. Your approach led me to this design.

Attachment:
IMG_0733.JPG

Thom

Hi Thom, your notion on triangulation is correct I have a gusset on the vertical tube to basically acheveing that. There will be a fore and aft load on the mounts as you accelerate and decelerate due to the inertia of the engine and transmission so it would be a good idea to do what you intended to do and add a gusset or a tube in the fore and aft direction.

Zoran

PostPosted: January 4, 2020, 8:59 pm 

Bent Wrench wrote:
What keeps the edge of channel from taco'ing when you pulled it around the corner? Is it that soft?

Got the channel from the local Home Depot, I think it's for trimming panels no idea what grade of or temper of aluminum it is but it seemed to form relatively easily. Didn't heat it because the finish is anodized and did not want to ruin it. Anyway, the way i kept it from taco'ing as you would say is that the bearing I used was the same width as the channel so the side plates of the jig were essentially a tight fit across the channel width wiping the aluminum which was being backed up by the template as it was snug fit in the channel.

Zoran

PostPosted: January 22, 2020, 12:42 am 

The Blizzak's are awesome, where are you planning to drive?

But seriously, cool.

PostPosted: February 8, 2020, 8:48 pm 

Very nice build. Reminded me very much of my own plus I like your philosophy of lower power and vintage. Great job. Always nice to see another canuck here. I have only been to Windsor once but it was a great trip and every time I buy ketchup I'm reminded of it and of the Ford museum in Detroit. Again nice build, enjoy.

PostPosted: February 22, 2020, 8:24 pm 

In a word, "Outstanding"!

PostPosted: February 25, 2020, 1:13 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
In a word, "Outstanding"!

Hey Dismantalus, thanks for the kind comment.

PostPosted: February 25, 2020, 1:20 pm 

Johnsinski wrote:
The Blizzak's are awesome, where are you planning to drive?

But seriously, cool.

Yeah, lol, fair weather car with snow tires...long story. As it turned out in Windsor there was only one shop that had the right attachment to balance the MGB rims which are lug centric. He also had this really cheap set of winter tires so what the hell might as well tear up a junk tires while sorting out the car. Picked up set of Michelins a while back and Panasport wheel upgrade is in the plans.