LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 7:36 pm 

And by the way, the fifth wheel on a 7 is the.... wait, am I allowed to say? Well, its the same on any car... lol!

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 8:02 pm 

spare!! maybe steering?

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 8:42 pm 
The voice of reason

welcome to our forum, I hope you enjoy it here and find it helpful or that you can help. Sorry If I seemed a little harsh, we have little tolerance for flaming here. People just can't read or hear peoples expressions over the net and a bad comment or two can really head things down hill quickly. We have a very diverse group here and I am always surprised by people's talents. Often these talents have nothing to do with tools or building cars.

We were deleting 10-20 posts and users on a bad day last year before the questions...

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 10:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm glad I got in before the question cause I still can't answer it. Does that mean I'm banned and have to turn in my membership?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 12:54 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

fight4gipper1 wrote:
At registration, I was forced to enter an answer to a security question.

No you weren't...you did it voluntarily! ;-)

Quote:
This is a forum, not a bank.

Indeed! Banks have an advantage: account numbers and PIN's. We don't have any built-in authentication data, so we have to work a little harder around here.

Quote:
I joined this site to learn more about Locost, therefore I have no idea what its fifth wheel is. And google would not provide me with any of the answers. And when I finally got one right, it told me my attempts had been used up.

Excellent! The goal of the CAPTCHA question is to ask something topic-specific that legit users will know (legit = car enthusiast, in our case), but that you CAN'T answer with Google. See, the spiders (and third-world workers paid a penny a hit) have access to Google, so just asking "What company bought the rights to the Lotus 7?" isn't enough, because my computer could figure out What company bought the rights to the Lotus 7.

Quote:
You should really change this before you lose more people.

Suggestion noted! I just changed that particular question from:

A Locost has four wheels in the corners, and one in front of the driver. What's that fifth wheel called?

To this:

A Locost has four wheels in the corners, and one more that you hold in your hands while driving. What's that fifth wheel called?

That should be easy to answer for anyone who's ever driven a Locost. Or a Toyota. Also, these questions are set up to be very lenient. In fact, there are three acceptable answers to the question above, just to be on the safe side.

Anyone want to take a stab at writing more questions? I haven't changed them out in a while, which I should be doing. I find it a very fun challenge to come up with a good question. Remember - easy for the target audience to get right, but hard to guess, even with Google. Here's a few more to tickle your imagination:

What is the windscreen made of?

Running your tires at 50 ___ is probably too high for a Locost. (units)

Where does the antifreeze release heat?

Feel free to post questions in this thread...but don't post the answer! Then Google would know the answer, too!

One more thing - we're certainly not trying to be exclusive. All of our forums are readable by the entire world, with no registration at all. Even photos are visible to the general public -- a bit unusual for high-traffic site not supported by advertising or membership fees. There's no need to register until you have something to post. Even if the CAPTCHA blocks someone's first attempt, I am hopeful that our content is compelling enough to motivate a new member to give it another try. This is the price of running a free web site in these times of spam and malice on the 'net.

I'm glad you're with us, Gipper, and I look forward to helping you learn about Locosts and hopefully admiring your work if you take the plunge! :cheers: Why not post to the Welcome New Members thread and tell us a little more about yourself?

-dave "I am not a number!" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 1:09 am 
Toyotaphobe

Now that I've heard the whole question I realize I could have answered that question so I guess I'm safe.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 2:21 am 
Weight watcher

carguy123 wrote:
Now that I've heard the whole question I realize I could have answered that question so I guess I'm safe.

Not that safe, my finger is still on the banning button so don't push it.

JK :lol:

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 9:19 am 

Blackbird,

I'm usually not the kind to stir the pot but I asked my Seven year old and he even got it.

Mark.

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 12:21 pm 

What is the number of foot pedals on a typical Locost?

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 4:43 pm 

but its rhd...

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 10:09 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Blackbird wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

Not that safe, my finger is still on the banning button so don't push it.

JK :lol:

Now I've decided you ARE my wife. She said the same thing to me last night.

That's the big problem with the internets, the danged anonamematee or however you spell that word. You're wearing a mask and I can't tell who you really are.

I can explain it to you,