LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Editing Time Limit
PostPosted: October 7, 2013, 11:35 pm 
Toyotaphobe

This is the only forum I'm on where the time limit is noticeable. Others may have a time limit, but I've never run afoul of it so this says this time limit is shorter than the other forums and since I rarely get it right the first time I need the time to make corrections.

I'd not heard the horse was dead. To me it seemed they were trying a shorter limit so here's some feedback that it's cumbersome and not working as well as the moderators might have hoped.

I personally haven't encountered mass deletion of information on this forum.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 3:21 am 

The site isn't a democracy, and that's fine. There are only a handful of reasons long term edits should be required, and I have the impression that the admin staff will be more than willing to make these edits for us per individually submitted requests? This should satisfy the needs of event organization threads, polls, for sale threads, and the randomly spotted spelling/grammar/wording type of needs.

That being said, I would like to request an immediate increase of the time limit by some reasonable amount, even if it's not the finalized time limit decision. The 1/2 hour that is still in place is definitely intrusive at times, and even more so if one happens to be posting at the end of the night or just before doing other activities that will prevent coming back to reread the post with a clear mind shortly after the initial submission...And obviously there is not going be any significant information loss from (at least temporarily) allowing edits inside of 24 hours..

I also think it's fair to ask when this considerable information loss occurred, which (former) forum member was spiteful enough to do so, and what kind of information was lost?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 9:11 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Driven5 wrote:
... I also think it's fair to ask when this considerable information loss occurred, which (former) forum member was spiteful enough to do so, and what kind of information was lost?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15462&p=170420#p170420

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 9:51 am 
Toyotaphobe

That's it?

That's everything that's been lost? That was just a discussion and a video of a track day. Talk about over reacting.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 10:21 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

There have been other threads, but it's not up to us. Demanding reasons for the change implies some sort of power on our part, where unless we're happy with the reasons given, things must be put back the way they were? No, it's not a democracy, it's a forum. Since we don't pay annual dues we have exactly Zero say in how it's run and if we don't like it, we need to move on.

I'm the owner/moderator of my own forum and while I'll listen a little to what visitors say, I pretty much run it the way I want. It's my time and my money, and when members with no stake in the matter start demanding changes, that I disagree with, they're simply ignored. It all comes down to whether the owners feel the change results in an overall better experience here, and our opinion is just one component in the decision.

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 11:59 am 

I do understand why site admin desires to make a change, and I believe it's a noble objective...But I completely disagree with anybody's assessment that the forum members of a site, who have also contributed much of their own personal time, information, experience, and expertise, have "no stake in the matter" of changes made to how the site functions and how their personal contributions are being controlled. By definition a 'stakeholder' is anybody impacted by the change being made within a group, be it positively or negatively. Actions that appear to take this for granted more often than not end up working against the best interest of the organizations well intentioned goals, and in regards to internet forums is the type of thing that could just as easily reduce the desire for future the sharing and exchange of the very information that restrictions like those being implemented here are trying to preserve.

PostPosted: October 8, 2013, 1:48 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
That's everything that's been lost? That was just a discussion and a video of a track day. Talk about over reacting.

Of course not. The previous event was about 6 months ago. Someone removed all their content from a couple of threads. I know who, but I'm not sure we have to go public with this stuff. Before that it was another person. If spelling corrections are the important issue, we can probably up the time limit.

The recent event was not especially severe or cause any damage, but it reminded folks that this issue has been unresolved for a long time.

So far as stakeholders go, I would say people who have contributed to a thread are also in a sense stakeholders and when someone unilaterally removes their content, they do that without concern for the other contributors. I consider removing content from the site basically an act of vandalism. It's too bad that limiting editing is also having a downside for spelling or making actual improvements or organization type changes in threads.

Unfortunately we are not forum software developers and don't really have the ability to make changes to the basic code and get it to do just what we want. We just tune knobs and actually the moderators can't even see those, so our choices are pretty basic.

PostPosted: October 9, 2013, 12:57 am 

KB58 wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
... I also think it's fair to ask when this considerable information loss occurred, which (former) forum member was spiteful enough to do so, and what kind of information was lost?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15462&p=170420#p170420

Well, that would have been me, but it certainly wasn't for spite . . . and I'm still on the forum.

Post subject: Dear Mod
PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 7:14 pm 

Dear Mod will you Please change the name of my build thread to
Paul's "Scrap Metal" Locost viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558
As I am going to be calling the car "Scrap Metal" but I can no longer edit the thread.
Thanks in advance.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: October 19, 2013, 10:22 pm 

Do the 'knobs' allow the use of different time limits in different sections of the forum? In my opinion there are a couple of sections that it would be the most useful/important to try keeping unlimited editing time limits, as it greatly improves the ability to communicate important information via the first post in a thread. Namely the For Sale/Want To Buy and Locost Lifestyle sections. Yes people need to bump their for sale threads from time to time anyways...But on most sites I frequent it is especially helpful when selling numerous separate items at a time to also be able to update availability and pricing in one place for all potential buyers to see rather than often forcing them to sift through multiple pages of unhelpful information just to try to figure it out. Similar goes for planning events. Neither section would be any significant loss if people deleted their posts from these threads for whatever reason...In fact on some sites deleting the original post is the preferred method of indicating something is no longer for sale. But if this is not even a possibility, then we'll just have to deal with the fact that it's going to be rather inconvenient.

However, I am still left wondering if there is a specific reason that we, as simple site members, are not aware of that is creating so much resistance to the general consensus of time limit recommendation from respondents in this thread? Basically, what is the significant problem or danger to this site with 24 hours, that 2 hours actually manages solve?...Let alone just changing it to anything longer than the mere 30 minutes that it continues to remain set at, against all publicly posted feedback?

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:56 am 

I just want to be able to fix the truckloads of typos I generate in an average post, maybe even 2-3 days down the road.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 1:52 pm 

At this point, it's obvious that the site administration has absolutely no intention of re-revising the editing feature on this site, to return any of the usefulness and functionality that was lost. So you basically have a few options regarding typos:

1) Don't make typos.

2) Learn to love and embrace your typos.

3) Write your posts in another program, use spell check, and give it sufficient time (hours/days depending on length and content) before posting to ensure that every possible edit has already been made.

4) Reduce the length, content, and frequency of your posting contributions on this site.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 2:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Driven5 wrote:
At this point, it's obvious that the site administration has absolutely no intention of re-revising the editing feature on this site, to return any of the usefulness and functionality that was lost. So you basically have a few options regarding typos:

1) Don't make typos.

2) Learn to love and embrace your typos.

3) Write your posts in another program, use spell check, and give it sufficient time (hours/days depending on length and content) before posting to ensure that every possible edit has already been made.

4) Reduce the length, content, and frequency of your posting contributions on this site.

Also make sure you haven't forgotten anything so that you don't have to add it later further down the list where it doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: I got in just under the wire.

Of a greater concern than people coming back and maliciously deleting valuable information should be the people who link their pictures to the site instead of loading them directly to the site where they will remain in perpetuity. There area lot of blank links to pics where people deleted the original or the original picture site is no longer there.

In other words, I don't think there is a 100% guaranteed way to keep from losing any data.

From the comments in this thread, and the number of comments in each thread where people have run afoul of the time limit, it appears to me that possibly, maybe you guys were a tad hasty in putting in the time limit you did.

Could you possibly revisit the time limit issue?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 3:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I can't edit my post, but I meant to say: "link their pictures to OTHER sites instead of . . ."

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:47 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
the people who link their pictures to the site instead of loading them directly to the site where they will remain in perpetuity. There area lot of blank links to pics where people deleted the original or the original picture site is no longer there.

I agree, I got caught on that one when webshots pulled the plug, had a few photos linking my photo album and suddenly it was gone.
If I could go back I would replace the missing photos, but I don't think I can edit new ones on a posts two or three years old.
So live and learn, as a result I post directly to the site on all photos, I don't even link my own website photos on any photos I post.

Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next