LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Editing Time Limit
PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 11:06 pm 

Driven5 wrote:

4) Reduce the length, content, and frequency of your posting contributions on this site.

And this is the option I've decided to take .. frequently.

Unfortunately I like to try and include enough information in a post on a complex topic that even with a couple proof reads, I end up missing an "s" here or figure out that at 2 AM I used "then" instead of "than". All those tiny details that a modern word processor helps one catch that a browser based spell checker doesn't cover.

So rather than have to stare at my own typos I simply now mostly don't post anything. That way I'm not entombing a personalized string of minor typing and grammatical mistakes in "webstone" forever.

The removal of being able to go back and edit my old posts has probably reduced my willingness to contribute to about 20% of what I was willing to type when I knew I could fix any simple typos I was likely to make. I'm not sure if that reduction in content helps the site or not. I do feel that the number of new daily posts (from everyone) seem to be decreasing since the revised editing rules went into effect.

*ironically .. I found I even needed to edit this post after submitting it, lol.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 11:57 pm 

what is the time limit,

i wrote a post and immediatly tried to edit to add more info but was refused?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wait 10 minutes
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wait 20 minutes

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 11:14 am 

The four administrators and the time/date they last visited:

chetcpo: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 am
mr.peabody.d: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:48 am
dhempy: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm
violentblue: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 pm

None of them have posted in this thread. You'd have better luck sending a PM directly to one/all of them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I've seen it happen before where the active members of a forum are fantastic, providing a lot of great info that's really focused on supporting the community. However, the administration is apathetic toward the site or narrowly (and incorrectly) focused on what they consider to be important in a community, and the community suffers. They hold the keys, it's their ball to take and go home. It's not a democracy, there is only one voter, and it is not you.

Because of stuff like this, I've been badly bitten and lost a whole lot of in-depth technical posts that I spent hours and hours putting together. I now keep backups of anything significant that I write and I never upload photos to a forum, I host them with a separate service and keep a backup on a second service.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 11:56 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I see both sides of the issue but have to agree that the time limit definitely decreases the "friendliness" of posting here. I now make more one or two sentence posts instead of going into detail, knowing that I'll have typos and being unable to fix them. Then there are time sensitive posts; for example, posting that there's a discount on a certain product. But now, posting such things means people clicking on invalid links (forever) because we can't remove them once expired.

While I very much understand (I'm the admin on my own forum), it's lessens boh the friendliness and usefulness of the site; I still visit, but post less. Yeah, there's no longer any occasional "rewriting of history", but in exchange, we're now saddled with daily limitations, forever. True, either "we like it or leave", but just that deminishes what was.

Oh well, like George Carlin said about the priest offended by music he heard on the radio, "Didn't anyone ever tell you that there are two knobs on the radio!?"

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 12:43 pm 

erioshi wrote:
I do feel that the number of new daily posts (from everyone) seem to be decreasing since the revised editing rules went into effect.

Admittedly, I think this was starting to happen (for a variety of reasons) before the new editing limit went into effect...But certainly doesn't appear to have helped the situation either.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 2:44 pm 

Quote:
I now keep backups of anything significant that I write and I never upload photos to a forum, I host them with a separate service and keep a backup on a second service.
I am not sure how hosting elswhere helps. Every photo I have taken, is saved on my hard drive in its original size (BIG) and backed up on a separate HD. When I want to share a photo here, I will downsize the original and sometimes crop it, then upload it. I still have the original and can always see it in its full resolution. If my HD dies, I have a backup. If this site dies, I still have all of the original files. And IF(when?) I die, all the photos I have posted here will still be readable for future readers. If I annotate any photos, it is only for making a point. Those files are temporary on my end and I don't keep 'em.

Still would like to correct my poor typing skills a day or 2 later though........Did I say typing skills? nothing skillfull about it. Maybe I should be more professional like a doctor. I should call it my typing practice.

I would like the capability of copying my personal build LOG here. Can this be easily done into PDF file format so it is readable like a book? I know that Acrobat is capable, but I don't want to purchase Acrobat for a 1-time use.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 4:36 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I would like the capability of copying my personal build LOG here. Can this be easily done into PDF file format so it is readable like a book? I know that Acrobat is capable, but I don't want to purchase Acrobat for a 1-time use.

I'd be interested in that as well. TWWTFM has said on multiple occasions (as wives are known to do) that I should download my build log into some kind of retrievable, searchable format and keep a copy "locally." It would be kinda handy...

Or -what the hell- maybe I'll carry it around to some of those "vanity publishers" and see what it would cost to turn it into a book! :roll:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 5:19 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I would like the capability of copying my personal build LOG here. Can this be easily done into PDF file format so it is readable like a book?

Chuck, I compiled your build log into a PDF. You can download it from here... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/261 ... Locost.pdf

GonzoRacer wrote:
I'd be interested in that as well.

Gonzo, I'd compile yours too but it's currently 140 pages. The file size will be enormous. Do you want ALL of it or is there a reasonable end point?

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 5:53 pm 

Ron, Thanks! :cheers: I owe you one!

Did you use Acrobat? or some other tool?

I went from 42 pages on-line to 524 pages in a 48MB file so figure slightly more than 1mB per website page in PDF format.

That is longer than most novels!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 5:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Gonzo, I'd compile yours too but it's currently 140 pages. The file size will be enormous. Do you want ALL of it or is there a reasonable end point?

Hi Ron-
Wow, that's cool you did Chuck's log for him!

As for mine, and a "reasonable end point"... Well... Nothin' about my build or my build log is reasonable...

However, TWWTFM just got a "Standard" Adobe (Not just the reader) at her office and has access to a copy of "Adobe Pro" (names are approximate, hope you know what I mean). If you don't mind 'splaining the process, perhaps she can download that log/novel I wrote.

Thanks!
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 7:50 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Ron, Thanks! :cheers: I owe you one!

Nah. It's my "thank you" for all the contributing posts you've made.

rx7locost wrote:
Did you use Acrobat? or some other tool?

Acrobat Pro.

GonzoRacer wrote:
If you don't mind 'splaining the process, perhaps she can download that log/novel I wrote.

I sent you a PM with instructions on how to do it. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask for help.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 8:03 pm 
We are Slotus!

Thanks Ron!

PostPosted: December 14, 2013, 6:52 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Quote:
I now keep backups of anything significant that I write and I never upload photos to a forum, I host them with a separate service and keep a backup on a second service.
I am not sure how hosting elswhere helps.

Well, my "second service" is Dropbox, so the copy stored on my hard drive is duplicated to the web and backed up incrementally.

PostPosted: December 16, 2013, 2:10 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Your Honor Lord Dictator Emeritus Hempy checking in.

Team Mod just upped the editing limit to 24 hours, due to popular enthusiasm. Now kindly remove the guillotine from my front yard.

We're thinking about removing the editing limit entirely, based largely on the comments here. (Not that dictators listen to the plebes, mind you.) Perhaps the policy was overreactive to some isolated incidents, and the limitations on the Good Folk don't merit the restriction.

Most of the comments in this thread are from outspoken opposers to the editing limit. If you're an underspoken supporter of the limit, now would be a good time to chime in.

-Dave "capital D is my formal attire" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: December 16, 2013, 9:39 am 
Toyotaphobe

dhempy wrote:
If you're an underspoken supporter of the limit, now would be a good time to chime in.

I'm not sure there are any anymore. It's one thing to talk about things in theory and another thing entirely to live with the consequences (think our govt. too).

There were so many other digs to the time limit in other threads as people came up against the wall that I think you pretty well convinced everyone. :lol:

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next